Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-21-2021, 12:29 AM   #151
Hide

Default Re: [DFRPG] Crawl! OOC

Thank you!

If it eases the party's load, I would like to try soldier (SL 12) to light a (mundane) fire. I guess blocking the flow of water is a task for either Telrith or Vicious.

Looking great!
Old 04-21-2021, 10:02 AM   #152
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

With great trepedation, I'm spending my three points to give Telrith shape earth at 15 instead of 13. This lets him move large amounts of earth for No FP cost.

ajardoor, do you want a new sheet?

folks, where are we trying to light the fire? 10 feet in front of door 2?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:19 AM   #153
ajardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
If it eases the party's load, I would like to try soldier (SL 12) to light a (mundane) fire.
You can roll it as a complementary skill for the Survival skill already rolled.
Rolled a 18! That means -2 because of your terrible help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
With great trepedation, I'm spending my three points to give Telrith shape earth at 15 instead of 13. This lets him move large amounts of earth for No FP cost.

ajardoor, do you want a new sheet?
Yes, please. That is an important enough change.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:31 PM   #154
Hide

Quote:
With great trepedation, I'm spending my three points to give Telrith shape earth at 15 instead of 13. This lets him move large amounts of earth for No FP cost. (...)
I can picture our foes biting the dust. This will be delightful.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:11 PM   #155
Hide

The current number of rations held by the party is 226 (DAY 4 START).
Old 04-21-2021, 08:37 PM   #156
Hide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
(...) How long are you guys going to wait after the smoke fills the place before going in yourselves? And how exactly do you wish to block the cave opening?
The idea is to have a portion of the enemies drown blocking cave #10, using Telrith’s powers, if Erick agrees.

The smoke output of a fire yielding about 35 to 50 kw, fills an area of roughly 120 m3 in about a minute (with the approximate dimensions of a great room: 3x8x5). You can check it here and here.

If we do not take into consideration that the smoke filling process speeds up as the carbon dioxide displaces oxygen, this is 30 big chambers in about 30 minutes. We have to wait until the fire stops burning, and wait about the same time for the smoke to clear out. This is probably about 1 hour (30 big chambers). Now that Telrith’s powers have improved, the process could be much more efficient (building a pipeline could double the speed!).

It may take 2 to 10 minutes to have our enemies pass out or die. Fifteen minutes of straight smoke (0% oxygen) would kill them; 5-10 minutes would cause permanent brain damage. You can check it here.

Bain plans to wait in the outside, given the circumstances he won’t take the nap or the food; he will be camouflaged and behind cover, ready to stop whoever comes out.

The rest of the party may shelter themselves in a foxhole or a trench by the outside of the cave opening. They could resort to Telrith’s powers.

I suggest the elementals watching the fire, as they are not impeded by the metabolic hazards.

So Erick, there are 3 calls for you! The show is about to begin!
Old 04-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #157
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I'm confused about the nature of the caves. Back on post 115 of the IC thread you said that:

Quote:
The caves are mostly earth, stone in some places
did we just get one of the few random stone caves? I'd prefer to work on an earthen one first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Yes, please. That is an important enough change.

Telrith Stone-Friend (and human excavation team)

Quote:
So Erick, there are 3 calls for you! The show is about to begin!
I suspect a hole is not quite the defensive structure we want. Unfortunately, Telrith does not have architecture.. yet, so the defensive structures may be a little flakey for now. His default is 8, which isn't bad... but isn't great either.

Telrith will make a small fortification by digging out a trench and piling the dirt facing the entrance of the cave. He'll make the trench three feet deep, and three feet wide, so each yard will take a casting of shape earth. He'll make this fortification six yards long. He won't try to get the wall particularly close to the trench: if foes want to stand on a six inch gap and get bad footing that's fine with him. That's six shape earth rolls, and a minute should be more than enough time to complete this task. If I roll a failure (16 or higher) reroll until I succeed.

The Kiln is going to be tricky. Telrith will have Mudman empty the wheel barrow, and then send him down to the river to bring back three loads* of Mud for Telrith to work with (mudman has a perk that lets him behave as though he has a shovel).

Can Telrith take extra time to get a bonus to his default of architechure-8?

* a load of dirt is a cubic yard. which is to say, one casting of shape earth at 0 FP.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 04-22-2021, 01:05 PM   #158
Hide

Quote:
(...)Can Telrith take extra time to get a bonus to his default of architechure-8? (...)
I suggest you dig, using your spell with high SL, and then let Bain make the finishing touches; he can work a foxhole/trench using his soldier (SL 12+1) skill, with extra effort.

It is worth noting that Vicious (the Digger) can also dig with his nice Survival Skill, and could aid Bain with the foxhole process.

Chancing topic, blocking the water in cave #10 should be simple. Perhaps you could collapse and compact the dirt with your powers.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:21 PM   #159
Hide

So, with the "digging spell", you may also provide a bonus to Bain; resulting in Soldier (SL 12+3) with Telrith's and Vicious' aid.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:43 PM   #160
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Chancing topic, blocking the water in cave #10 should be simple. Perhaps you could collapse and compact the dirt with your powers.

I'd like to get a better feel for how mass earthworks are going to play out first. Once that is all resolved, sure.

Tags
dfrpg, dungeon fantasy, fantasy, magic, martial arts