Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-31-2020, 07:23 AM   #21
Anth

Default Re: Convert PCs DnD>DFRPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I find it infinitely more rewarding to preserve the numbers than the bonuses, so 16 DX = 16 DEX rather than 13 DX = 16 DEX

Part of the goal is to take your Prime Attribute to the Skies, and going from something cool like an 18 to something not cool like a 14 invalidates that
I agree.
And the players are free do raise their attributes as long as the have points.

The problem is that the players rolled their abilities; some rolled high and some rolled low.

What is the easiest way to compensate for this?
I think I stick to my first suggestion: 5 points/ ability step.
Anth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 07:27 AM   #22
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
However, confronting players new to DFRPG with the character creation system risks them getting things wrong. Some collaboration with the GM will be required, and they need to understand how the game style is going to change.
We will do the characters together.
But it's very important that the players feel they the did their own characters, otherwise the might lose interest in the campaign.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:34 AM   #23
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan506 View Post
Suggestion: Post the characters here (or in a separate post), and see if anyone is willing to try to convert them. I'd probably give it a stab, because I enjoy character creation and such.
Before I even do that, the first thing is to decide the point level in DFRPG - and that's why I created this thread. :)

I will probably not post the complete characters, but I will probably post some abilities/powers that I find hard to convert to something similar in DFRPG/GURPS.

The characters ain't ordinary vanilla DnD.
They have some strange gifts/curses that I will need some help to convert.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:46 AM   #24
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
Please understand this is me at my most helpful. Don't convert characters from D&D to Dungeon Fantasy.

This isn't a rules-swap. It is a fundamentally different approach to dungeon delving gaming. Not only is GURPS a less forgiving/more detailed system, it also rewards different thinking than D&D. Continuation of D&D characters into GURPS creates an expectation that D&D characters will do D&D stuff in a system that just doesn't work that way. Start new with the expectation that this game will be different than what you did before.
Yes, I understand.
And I agree.

Convert to DFRPG wasn't a hasty decision:
1. We completed a DnD-campaing (and I thought it was finished).
2. The players really liked their characters and wanted to continue.
3. I really dislike DMing DnD5, especially at high levels.
4. Obvious conversion choices, like DnD4, DnD3 and PF doesn't work as I hate those systems as much as I hate DnD5.
5. I usually play OSR, but it's not complicated enough for the characters.
6. I looked at Savage Worlds and it's also not complicated enough to convert to.
7 Basically GURPS/DFRPG is the only system I can convert to and the players WANT to convert.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:58 AM   #25
Anth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
Which edition of D&D are you using?
DnD5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Angel View Post
Also, do you have an example of one of the characters you're trying to convert?
Sorry, that have to wait.
I really believe that would get a great response if I posted the characters, but it foremost the players who would do the conversion.

I'm afraid that the players might lose interest in the their characters if they ain't involved in the conversion.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:29 AM   #26
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anth View Post
Yes, I understand.
And I agree.

Convert to DFRPG wasn't a hasty decision:
1. We completed a DnD-campaing (and I thought it was finished).
2. The players really liked their characters and wanted to continue.
3. I really dislike DMing DnD5, especially at high levels.
4. Obvious conversion choices, like DnD4, DnD3 and PF doesn't work as I hate those systems as much as I hate DnD5.
5. I usually play OSR, but it's not complicated enough for the characters.
6. I looked at Savage Worlds and it's also not complicated enough to convert to.
7 Basically GURPS/DFRPG is the only system I can convert to and the players WANT to convert.
Just throwing this out there. Do you think they'd be willing to play the heirs of their characters? Carry forward their cool magic items and stories of their adventures but with a hallmark change to the tone of the adventure from a new rules set?
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 11:51 AM   #27
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Just throwing this out there. Do you think they'd be willing to play the heirs of their characters? Carry forward their cool magic items and stories of their adventures but with a hallmark change to the tone of the adventure from a new rules set?
That is a DARN good idea, really.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 02:52 PM   #28
Eidoloclast

I ran a FLAILSNAILS game in DFRPG, where some people rolled up (yes rolled, I had houserules) DF characters and others converted in their (weird, oldschool-ish) D&D characters.

Here's a level 2 Angel: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

and a level 2 (I think?) some kind of weird Gnome variant thief, who had I think a 19 dex in the D&D version but I can't find that sheet anywhere:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

I think I converted at least one more, but these are the two I can find. A lot of rules of thumb and approximation in there, not much of a systematic approach (and I didn't care about making sure the point totals matched at the end.)

Last edited by Eidoloclast; 12-31-2020 at 02:55 PM. Reason: this game was DFRPG, using some DF options
Eidoloclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 08:55 AM   #29
Anth

Quote:
I agree that it's a good idea.
But the reason thy want to play with these characters is that they gained some very specific powers during the campaign that can't be inherited.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #30
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan506 View Post
You may also find this helpful (conversion of Pathfinder iconic characters to DFRPG).
A long while ago, there was a conversion of the iconic 3E D&D characters (e.g., Tordek the dwarf fighter) to GURPS (I think this was before G:DF or DFRPG).

A little searching found this from 14 years ago: Link to SJ Games forum thread.