Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-27-2020, 11:38 PM   #1
WhiteLily

Default Great Haste at Level 25

According to Spells page 10, having a spell with a skill of 25 allows you to cast a spell in a quarter of the time (minimum 1 second) with the cost reduced by 3.

So if my Wizard casts Great Haste at a skill of 25, then the casting time is 1 second (3/4 rounded up) and the cost would be 2 FP.

According to Great Haste (P 57), "The subject gets to perform two immediate maneuvers, one immediately after the other."

So would I get to take a second action on the turn I cast it?
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 05:24 AM   #2
Anders

Default Re: Great Haste at Level 25

I would rule that the spell takes effect at the end of the turn. So no.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:11 AM   #3
Kalzazz

I would say no, you have to wait until next turn to benefit
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:57 PM   #4
Rolando

you still need the full second of casting time (minimum of 1 stated above) just to cast the spell.

so no.

But I would agree that at the very end of your turn the spell is running and you get any advantage of the spell for defenses or reactions during others turns.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 05:53 AM   #5
David Johansen

I thought spells took effect at the start of the turn after you cast them. Or was that a first edition thing?
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:53 AM   #6
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
I thought spells took effect at the start of the turn after you cast them. Or was that a first edition thing?
In DFRPG (and GURPS 4e) spells take effect "at the end of the last second of concentration" (Spells, p. 8). For one-second spells, that means that they take effect at the end of the caster's turn.

Regardless, in practical terms, if the caster is the subject of the spell, they won't receive their extra maneuver until their next turn.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #7
Rolando

even in basic GURPS, you cast a 1 second spell and it will start immediately, but your turn is consumed completely by casting.

So, if it is some armor spell you will get the benefit of the armor, but these are extra actions and you use actions in your turn, as your turn is consumed you have no benefit for extra action because your turn is already ended at the moment the dice are rolled.

Technically you get the extra action, but you can't use it because you have no longer a turn.
Rolando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 03:12 PM   #8
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando View Post
you still need the full second of casting time (minimum of 1 stated above) just to cast the spell.

so no.

But I would agree that at the very end of your turn the spell is running and you get any advantage of the spell for defenses or reactions during others turns.
Great Haste doesn't grant any defensive/reaction advantages aside from ignoring the effects of your first maneuver - AoA followed by something else is common. I use it on our beefy Knight or Barbarian on occasion.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 10:20 PM   #9
WhiteLily

Well, I was just considering what a blaster mage would look like. For this example, one that tosses high damage fireballs at you.

Fireball / Explosive Fireball requires a turn to cast the spell and then a next action to toss the death weapon. If you take damage while holding it, it explodes on you.

Haste allows you to avoid the nastiness by casting, then immediately throwing. So you don't need to worry for anything except specific reserved actions.

Just an idea. But it seems like if I wanted to rain down many fireballs of death, I would open with a Great Haste.
WhiteLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:11 AM   #10
corwyn

I'm playing a hybrid Wizard/Scout so I usually open with GH then most of the rest of the fight is with a bow my GM let me get the Staff spell on with the occasional Stun or dehydrate for things made of water or ice (of which there are many in this campaign). Stun + shot to the eye is a nice combo. Not much energy for spells until now so I might look for an area missile spell now.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote