Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 12-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
b-dog

Default Supernatural Venom

Do you think supernatural venom would be cool for DF? Maybe the venom glands could house a venom that acts like magical potions? Just a thought...
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Re: Supernatural Venom

There are already many examples. You might find the bone golem (Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2, pp. 10-11) closest to what you want. But the fly-dragon (pp. 16-17) also works.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
There are already many examples. You might find the bone golem (Dungeon Fantasy Monsters 2, pp. 10-11) closest to what you want. But the fly-dragon (pp. 16-17) also works.
I was thinking of injecting strange ones like potion of ethereal body which would make the body of the PC injected immaterial and cause his armor and clothing to fall to the ground and then the potion wears of after like say 1 d6 seconds and the PC materializes without his armor or weapons.

Or maybe a potion of weightlessness which causes the PC to float around in he room with he monster that injected it.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 07:09 AM   #4
Dalin

How about some sort of otherworldly entity that has a venom (or magical effect) that actually improves things for the PCs? Like if you get bitten by the Temporal Serpent, you end up with Great Haste or Enhanced Time Sense. Of course, you also take 3d impaling or something, so surviving the bite may not be assured. This could create interesting tactical situations where the heavily armored knight tries to taunt the creature into attacking her.

Another option might be some sort of creature that is basically undefeatable—a lake of slime or some Lovecraftian horror—but the party needs to survive its sting in order to make it to the next phase of the adventure. ("Only those who accept the kiss of Shub-Niggurath can open the portal...")
Dalin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
Polkageist

Yes to all of those, because potions or potion-like things are a fantastic way to get unusual magical effects into the player's and monster's hands.

I think the most important thing is to write down the effect you want so that you don't forget it, and can playtest it.

Actually that last one is a really good idea. Grab a friend for 30m and play out a couple of combats with it to see how the effects work in play, so you can tweak the numbers a bit.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 04:07 PM   #6
Dalin

My kids and I are planning on running DFRPG encounters this week instead of a full adventure. Just practice, really, but trying out different types of opponents in different environments to see how it all plays out. I might just introduce some interesting venoms to mix things up!
Dalin is online now   Reply With Quote