Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-01-2022, 05:23 AM   #31
Prince Charon

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep the poll open for, but I do want to wait for everyone who voted before I noticed my mistake and made the correction to make any changes they need to to their posts.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 06:58 AM   #32
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I prefer either 2 or 3: if we're going to aspect, lets aspect properly.

YES, leylines are good for this.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 09:26 PM   #33
Prince Charon

OK, so, there are five YES votes for ley lines (so that's almost certainly in), one vote for either 2 or 3, and two votes each for 5 and 6. I may need to cast a tiebreaker vote, if no-one else weighs in. I do have questions prepared for ley lines specifically, and for magic items. Both need editing, but are nearly done. So, I'm coming back to this tomorrow, probably.

-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Old 09-05-2022, 10:34 AM   #34
Kesendeja

Quote:
1. Some areas are Aspected, others, perhaps most, are not. Does not require the Ascended-expies to be active on the mortal plane. I slightly prefer this option.)
I really like this option.

As for Leylines, a hard YES.

As an aside, since I was late to the party, I prefer magic as powers. Have you looked at Sorcery? Universal Eggplant have converted all of the official spells to that system (plus a whole lot more)

Also if I may make a suggestion, look into Quintessence out of Pyramid 3/120 in the article "The Fifth Attribute". I've been using it since it first came out in most, if not all, of my games that deal with anything supernatural and it's worked great.
Old 09-05-2022, 11:46 AM   #35
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

On a closer reading of 6, I actually meant 6 when I voted for 2. If that helps

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 09-06-2022, 06:58 AM   #36
Prince Charon

OK, so 2 loses a vote, 1 gains a vote, 6 gains a vote and thus breaks the tie, and ley lines get all YES... which means that we have no equivalent to mana, and ley lines therefore cannot exist (6 clearly says that magic works the same all over; I'd've pointed this out before if I'd been more awake the last couple of times I checked here), but have to exist because even the people who voted for 6 asked for them. Help?

EDIT: I suspect we aren't all using the same concept of what a ley line is. To me, they are linear locations (like rivers or roads, or like mana zones that are especially long and thin) near which magic is easier in some way, or where specific types of magic are easier; this was largely informed by Robert Asprin's MythAdventures books, and by an article in an issue of Roleplayer that I forgot the number of. They may cross each other and make compatible magics even easier than that, or they may be in concentric rings around some important feature (possibly getting more or less intense as you get closer), or both.

-- Tacitus

Last edited by Prince Charon; 09-06-2022 at 07:17 AM.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:36 AM   #37
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
OK, so 2 loses a vote, 1 gains a vote, 6 gains a vote and thus breaks the tie, and ley lines get all YES... which means that we have no equivalent to mana, and ley lines therefore cannot exist (6 clearly says that magic works the same all over; I'd've pointed this out before if I'd been more awake the last couple of times I checked here), but have to exist because even the people who voted for 6 asked for them. Help?
The ley lines / resonances / whatever have no impact on most magic, but you need to utilize them for the really big stuff - and the Stargates qualify as such.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:54 AM   #38
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The simple answer is that the mana levels as described in the rules do not describe how the leylines work. Varyon's suggestion being one good example.

Old 09-06-2022, 09:20 AM   #39
TGLS

Or you could do it backwards, big magic creates leylines as a consequence. Setup a Stargate somewhere, animals and people tend to follow oddly specific paths around them.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 08:22 PM   #40
Prince Charon

OK, somewhere between tomorrow (Wednesday 7/7/22) and this weekend, I'm going to post a Ley Lines question, probably using the suggestions that have been made up to that point, plus whatever I think of. The ley lines question that I already have already written will wait until after that, since the result of this new question will likely change that one.

-- Tacitus

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding