Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 10-02-2022, 01:18 AM   #1
Sonevar

Default GCA 5.0.199 Cannot Edit Cost/Weight

I'm an MiB trying to write up pre-mades for the next Stratigicon Event in a few months. When adding new items to equipment the Parent Item prompt does not ask for Cost or Weight at all. From the edit window Parent Item, Equipment, etc. Quantity can be adjusted Manually or by +/- Name, Extension, Location User Notes, Description can be edited freely, however the numerical value for weight and cost Cannot be changed by typing, highlighting etc the cost and weight for items (including those custom made in gca4) cannot be altered from 0 or any other value. If you open the advanced edit sub window the base cost and weight can be manually altered, but the change does not persist despite the pop-up saying that the item is being updated, reopening advanced the value is back to the original.

Edit: Only Work around so far is to delete and make a new copy of the item as Equipment/Armor/Weapon since the initial prompts ask for cost and weight

Last edited by Sonevar; 10-02-2022 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Workaround
Sonevar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:09 AM   #2
Sonevar

Default Re: GCA 5.0.199 Cannot Edit Money either

Also Discovered that I cannot make changes to the Money Score Attribute. This can easily and falsely drop a character into a listed negative money score if a character gains equipment through non-monetary methods such as requisition, barter, or theft.
The Money score itself Can be altered directly on the sheet or in the edit window but in either case the changes don't persist after pressing Enter. Additionally the +/- buttons in the edit window are grayed out
Old 10-02-2022, 10:19 AM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA 5.0.199 Cannot Edit Cost/Weight

Okay, lots here.

_New Parent Item is there as a convenient quick way to add an organizational parent item. It is not required. You can make any item into a parent using the right-click menu, selecting Parent/Child and then Mark as Parent. (The Unmark as Parent option removes the 'parent' flag, but does not remove children; the parent flag just lets the item appear in pop-ups as a parent target for assigning children.)

_New Parent Item not asking for tons of information is meant to be convenient, so you don't have to answer tons of questions about something that will often just be used as a 'header' or an organizational tool.

Cost and Weight in the Edit Traits dialog aren't editable there because they're shown as the amounts for the given quantity of items. Base cost and base weight of singular items was considered something that would rarely need to be adjusted, so not editing here didn't seem like a hardship. I can, however, take a look at maybe showing both values and allowing editing of the base values here.

On Advanced Edit Traits, fields shaded with a red background are calculated by GCA. Changing those will not stick, because as soon as GCA calculates the trait again, those valuies will be replaced. GCA also shows a Calculated flag in the description at the bottom of the window for such fields.

If you want to change the base weight or base cost of a trait, you need to edit the basecost or baseweight fields. Those fields are the base values for each single item, rather than the calculated values for the full quantity of items.

The Money attribute is a reference attribute, again for convenience. It has no costs to change levels, as it is only calculated. However, I probably should change that one to use the same costs as the Trading Character Points for Money advantage, which you can use to add value to the Money attribute. You can also change Money by using the Campaign Log to add an entry with a Money value, or you can enter a value for the From Other Sources field. The total of all money entries on this dialog is included in the Money attribute.

The Money value being editable on the sheets or in Edit Traits is currently a shortcoming, I apologize. It's not easy to tell if a trait is meant to be always calculated or just not meant to be adjusted by-level but can be any entered value. I will try to work on addressing that.
Old 10-02-2022, 02:54 PM   #4
Sonevar

Thank you for the responses, I can see the reasoning, and am not trying to argue. I would however like to suggest an idea if it is possible... My thought is to add modifiers like those used for Advantages, example Cost -10% Used, Cost -25% Haggled, Cost -100% Requisition, Cost -100% Theft (also switches tag to illegal)

Weight +/- 10% Jury-rigged, Weight -20% Higher TL Materials

Would this type of option be possible?
Old 10-03-2022, 10:58 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonevar View Post
Thank you for the responses, I can see the reasoning, and am not trying to argue.
Thank you, but if you see what you believe is a better way, you should always fee free to suggest it. I may agree and it gets put in, or I may disagree and it may not, but it's always worthwhile to share ideas.

Quote:
I would however like to suggest an idea if it is possible...
Of course! It's not always possible for me to implement them, but suggestions are always welcome and appreciated.

Quote:
My thought is to add modifiers like those used for Advantages, example Cost -10% Used, Cost -25% Haggled, Cost -100% Requisition, Cost -100% Theft (also switches tag to illegal)

Weight +/- 10% Jury-rigged, Weight -20% Higher TL Materials

Would this type of option be possible?
That is absolutely possible, with the caveat that you can't adjust weight by percentages. (Also, I don't know what you mean by "switches tag to illegal".)

However, I personally do not like to include content that's not specifically from a book in that book's file, because then people constantly want to fight me about it, and I just don't have the time or energy for that.

But you can totally do it yourself using the tools in GCA, and have those modifiers available to you in your own custom book file.

On the Edit Modifiers dialog, near the bottom above the Cancel button, is the Save to File button. So you can use _New Modifier to add a new modifier to an item, then edit it to correct or adjust things, then use that button to save it to your own custom book file. Maybe call that file New Equipment Modifiers. Then you can load that file in your library, and those modifiers will be available to you for all your characters in the future.

I have started such a file for you, using the values you specify above. You can download that file from my OneDrive here: New Equipment Modifiers.gdf.

That file also includes versions that have costs-per-level, but you'd need to edit the file in a plain text editor (such as NotePad, *not* Word) to remove the comment markers (// ) from some lines and add them to others to make that change. I can do that if you'd prefer the file to be using those and don't want to make that change yourself.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:42 PM   #6
Sonevar

(Also, I don't know what you mean by "switches tag to illegal".)

In the prompts for new Item Creation it asks for the legality of the item. If the Item is modified by "Theft" could the legality be changed to illegal as the item is now Stolen Property?
Old 10-04-2022, 11:05 AM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
(Also, I don't know what you mean by "switches tag to illegal".)

In the prompts for new Item Creation it asks for the legality of the item. If the Item is modified by "Theft" could the legality be changed to illegal as the item is now Stolen Property?
Ahhh. That's asking for the LC or Legality Class of the item, as per B267, which is usually just a number 0-4.

GCA can include those values, and show them if you want. However, since it's primarily for reference, it's not currently designed to do what you're asking for, and there's not any way to change LC automatically with a modifier.

I'll add it to my To Do list to make LC something that can be calculated, which would allow changing the LC value to something else with a modifier.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:30 PM   #8
Sonevar

Thank you sir, just an idea