Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-04-2015, 11:43 PM   #1
Minuteman37

Default Post-Apocalyptic Gladiators!

Ok SSJGames, I could use some help. In short one of my players has gotten himself into quite the conundrum, basically being forced into slavery and the only hope of freedom is becoming a gladiator in the Post-Apocalyptic Coliseum. So I'd very much like it if you guys could come up with interesting Opponent ideas for him to face off against in the arena.

Further Details
  • The player's character sheet: http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...m.png~original
  • His current weapon is a small knife
  • His only clothing is a pair of briefs with the kentucky state flag printed on them.
  • He keeps what he kills in the arena, so any weapons you equip your guys with he'll get if he wins the match.
  • He's currently living in squalor, he sleeps in a dirty dog cage, is barely given any food that's not human flesh and is only let out for his daily match.
  • His captures are an insane west bureau baptist church like KKK organization that worships a life size cutout of donald trump.
  • He was previously kept in an area of the groups compound called the Piggy Pits where they keep human livestock to fatten up for future consumption, Jerry mainly got out of there when he convinced them of his previous status as a US army sniper, he's currently being billed as a direct descendant of Davy Crockett and has up until this point been fighting half starved muslim slaves to build his audience appeal.
  • In case you haven't realized it, he wasn't kidnapped by the good guys.
  • He lost two HP in his last fight to a guy with a pocket knife, what's a good disease for him to roll to contract?
  • The Crazy Redneck KKK group is at war with a group of gay nazis who also reside in the city, who the rest of the party is teaming up with to try and rescue Jerry, and yes the gay nazis are indeed composed of homosexual arian men and the party has agreed among itself that they are by far more tolerant and accepting then the super conservative christian KKK that Jerry is being held by.
  • Yes, I know this is ****ed up.

P.S. What are some optional rules I should be including in this game?

Last edited by Minuteman37; 09-04-2015 at 11:48 PM.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:55 PM   #2
PTTG

Default Re: Post-Apocalyptic Gladiators!

May I first say I really want to play a game with you?

Alright, if you want this to be interesting, maybe they'll set him up for a fall; clearly they don't want him to lose (AMURICA CANT LOSE!) but if they make him out to be a "filthy liberal," sooner or later he's going to need to learn what a REEL AMURICAN is like.

So far he's been playing along, so if they want to kill him off, they need a reason. I suppose they found a new plaything. I propose a mutant burly dude with extra arms and a lot of ST.

He'll be well-fed, a better grappler, and be the crowd favorite in addition to being bigger and meaner than the PC. However, he won't have _too much_ fight-ending power, giving the other PCs time to burst in and break our hero out.

That's my proposal anyway. Is that what you're looking for?
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 12:11 AM   #3
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
May I first say I really want to play a game with you?
We play on thursdays from 4pm to 8pm Alaska standard time (8pm to 12am eastern standard time) and use roll20. You'd need a microphone and a firm grasp of the english language. Your options are a self insert character (or other sufficiently unoptimized character) build with some enhancements to given you an edge in surviving the Apocalypse or a 150 point character with a maximum disadvantage limit of 75.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Alright, if you want this to be interesting, maybe they'll set him up for a fall; clearly they don't want him to lose (AMURICA CANT LOSE!) but if they make him out to be a "filthy liberal," sooner or later he's going to need to learn what a REEL AMURICAN is like.

So far he's been playing along, so if they want to kill him off, they need a reason. I suppose they found a new plaything. I propose a mutant burly dude with extra arms and a lot of ST.

He'll be well-fed, a better grappler, and be the crowd favorite in addition to being bigger and meaner than the PC. However, he won't have _too much_ fight-ending power, giving the other PCs time to burst in and break our hero out.

That's my proposal anyway. Is that what you're looking for?
I'm looking for several legitimate matches to have him fight through, his goal is to rise through the ranks of the gladiator fighting pits and earn his freedom and maybe take on a leadership role in this faction if he finds them to not be as bad as he currently thinks.
Old 09-05-2015, 01:15 AM   #4
Clockwork_Virus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Martial Arts, for sure. If you have it, take a look at the Gladiators supplement as well. Has some useful notes about wooing the crowd and the gladiatorial culture.
Quote:
Yes, I know this is ****ed up.
It's absolutely insane, is what it is. Completely nuts. I'm almost curious as to just what in blazes happened in this post-apocalyptic world.

As for possible enemies . . .

There's the standard half-crazed "psychos", like the Mad Max Road Warriors. No armor, good reflexes, decent grappling and brawling skills, and a vicious weapon, like a chain or pick. They'd make Feints, then close in with Committed Attacks. Or, charge in and grapple, try to bring the PC to the ground, and finish him with bites and gouges. Their weakness is a proclivity to go Berserk.

Then there's the "dogs". Those who've chosen to fight in the pits. Large, vicious thugs that slaver at the chance to put a beat-down on inferior scum. High ST, high HP, good grappling skill. Not very clever, but once they've got their hands on you, it's over.

Another idea is the "tortured", who've had spikes and weapons and such grafted into them. Badly. Every movement is agony for them -- leaving those that survive for more than a few days completely inured to pain. Spikes for legs, chain-flail arms, armor fused to melted flesh, sword-ribs, etc. Of course, they'll probably miss more often than they hit . . . but getting near them is quite the health hazard.
Clockwork_Virus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:02 AM   #5
Ternas

Quote:
Ok SSJGames, I could use some help. In short one of my players has gotten himself into quite the conundrum, basically being forced into slavery and the only hope of freedom is becoming a gladiator in the Post-Apocalyptic Coliseum. So I'd very much like it if you guys could come up with interesting Opponent ideas for him to face off against in the arena.
This sounds like a crazy as heck world going on here. So I went and made a gladiator for you to use if you want to.

Vasco Johnson

Character Background: This giant of a man is a former miner turned unwilling gladiator. This means that while he doesn't want to be there, he'll be damned if he fights like a dog and has a couple rules about how he fights though that come through his Code of Honor. He refuses to strike first, allowing his opponent to get close and either block or parry the first blow before retaliating, this ended up with him getting a nasty wound on his back that still hasn't been able to heal properly through lack of proper medicine and environment.

Constant years in mining and around heavy vehicles has ruined his hearing and he now has trouble discerning some things in noisy places.

Meta-talk: So I took a look at what the point values on the fighter you linked and tried to match it up best that I could to give at least a good run for his money.

As for scaling Vasco's armor, I used the LTC2 armor scaling rules to get them pumped up to SM+1 to fit the fellow since they're what I'm used to using.

Quote:
I would echo Clockwork_Virus's suggestion to look into Martial Arts for optional rules. In particular, I would probably look at Shake it Off on MA132. Might be useful in an arena setting at the very least.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 02:15 AM   #6
Minuteman37

Also something I'd like to have is a sort of combat maneuvers list, I'm an inexperienced GM with a lot of sourcebooks so I really haven't had time to go through and memerize. So if one of the more senior GURPS users could enlighten me with a sort of "Remember Jerry you can do X when Y which would really be useful to do when you're melee fighting for your life against blood thirsty murderers in a land with no modern medicine" list.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:31 AM   #7
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ternas View Post
This sounds like a crazy as heck world going on here. So I went and made a gladiator for you to use if you want to.

Vasco Johnson

Character Background: This giant of a man is a former miner turned unwilling gladiator. This means that while he doesn't want to be there, he'll be damned if he fights like a dog and has a couple rules about how he fights though that come through his Code of Honor. He refuses to strike first, allowing his opponent to get close and either block or parry the first blow before retaliating, this ended up with him getting a nasty wound on his back that still hasn't been able to heal properly through lack of proper medicine and environment.

Constant years in mining and around heavy vehicles has ruined his hearing and he now has trouble discerning some things in noisy places.

Meta-talk: So I took a look at what the point values on the fighter you linked and tried to match it up best that I could to give at least a good run for his money.

As for scaling Vasco's armor, I used the LTC2 armor scaling rules to get them pumped up to SM+1 to fit the fellow since they're what I'm used to using.

I would echo Clockwork_Virus's suggestion to look into Martial Arts for optional rules. In particular, I would probably look at Shake it Off on MA132. Might be useful in an arena setting at the very least.
Thanks for the gladiatore Ternas, I think he'll be a nice match for Jerry (and perhaps a potential ally!).

Also i forget to mention that Jerry has 5 unspent points available, any suggestions for what to spend them on I should echo to him?
Old 09-05-2015, 02:45 AM   #8
Ternas

Quote:
Also i forget to mention that Jerry has 5 unspent points available, any suggestions for what to spend them on I should echo to him?
Hmm, the first thing that has struck me is that he is currently an arena fighter without too much in the way of overall fighting ability. Maybe take at least two points in a grappling skill in order to close in with the enemy and restrict his movement, possibly more wrestling than judo. Either one might fit in with his background of being soldier trained, though.

Overall, as he is using a soldier background, I would suggest taking a look at MA183 for the MCMAP style of Military Hand to Hand combat that you could then take some of the components from and then pass on some suggestions to him.
Ternas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:35 AM   #9
Gold & Appel Inc

Can we hear some more about the setting, please? For example, do things like radioactive mutant powers exist? How about weapons higher than TL 8?

Battle / Stunt-Shooting Demonstration Idea: If the KKK / Trump Cult is trying to build this guy up a fan base by pitting him against C-list scrubs like half-starved slaves, and portraying him as some kind of wonder marksman, why not let him show that off a little? Start him in the middle of the arena with a cheap, antiquated semi-auto rifle that only has six bullets in it, surrounded by six half-starved slaves or similarly feeble opponents armed with baseball bats, 2x4s, etc, arranged in a ring around him at say 20 yards. Most of them probably won't make it within range to swing on him, but some will, and he'll be forced to do some fast, unaimed shooting if he wants to minimize that. You can change it up in all kinds of ways to make it easier or harder, like maybe one guy has a bad leg and lower Move than the others, or gets the bright idea to weapon slam the PC.

They'd probably only do it once (but talk about it forever) because of the expense of the high fatality rate (or you could give the mooks some kind of real or improvised armor that would allow them to be disabled but probably not killed by a gunshot, if that kind of thing isn't even more expensive than labor in this setting), but if the audience and/or players really ate it up the KKK could easily raise the drama by throwing even more guys at him on a repeat performance.

Last edited by Gold & Appel Inc; 09-05-2015 at 05:47 AM.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:01 AM   #10
tshiggins

Well, given the views of the captors, they'd send to the pits any member of groups the KKK has historically hated and oppressed. They'd want the vicarious pleasure of watching a "Real Murikan" slaughter the "subhumans."

Figure that most of the "animals" that get sent in will be in pretty bad shape, themselves, or hamstrung (perhaps literally) in some way. Those who run the game will want to see a good fight, but in the end they want the white guy to win.

For the most part, they should have dead-average stats -- 10s all around -- but may enjoy such advantages as high-pain threshold or combat reflexes. Any "subhuman" noticeably larger or quicker, or who is known to posses combat skills, will have been crippled in some way as to make for a "fair fight."

Examples:

1. An older rabbi is thrown into the ring. His yarmulke has been stapled to his head, and a bleeding star of david has been carved into his chest. He fights with a broken bottle that bears the torn label, "Manischewitz." He has a decent pair of tennis shoes.

2. A tall, but scrawny, black man is thrown in the ring. He has not been fed, so he has less fatigue than usual. His back is covered with partially-healed whip weals. This is a former slave who was caught trying to escape. He has a slave-collar attached to a two-foot length of heavy chain. He has a pair of ragged trousers cut off at the knees.

3. A pair of middle-aged lesbians with no combat skills, at all. They are fairly healthy, as they were part of the community until their deviance was discovered. They're both wearing ragged work-shirts and cut-off blue jeans, and are armed with kitchen knives.

4. A thin, quick young cholo in ragged clothes. He has heavy rings on all his fingers, and wide metal bracelets. He actually has some boxing skill, but any hits to his face will prove especially effective, because all of his teeth were knocked out when the KKK took his gold grille. He's still in terrible pain.

5. A gay NAZI (that's wild...). He'll be strong, fast and combat-trained, with above-average stats. He'll have most of his uniform intact (it's more showy), including a great pair of boots. He won't be armed, at all, but will coil his belt around his hand as a whip, and will stomp to good effect with the heels of his heavy boots. He will also have a triangle carved into his forehead, and this will have affected his vision.

Last edited by tshiggins; 09-05-2015 at 10:07 AM.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bloodsports