Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-25-2022, 02:57 AM   #34
Stomoxys

Default Day 223 since leaving The Homeland

Keri led their party off while we walked down towards the river. I could not see any boats on the water, but as we neared the docks, I saw a large number of boats and barges moored to the piers. A large crowd of apeoids had gathered, but were kept away from the water by apeoids armed with spears and clubs. The crowd gave off impatience, but also timid obedience.

Normally, swimming across would not have been an issue, but with the fog hanging over the water, I would not risk it. I might freeze and sink and get washed down the river. To the south, we could see the Ar spreading out into the delta that formed the wetlands.

Nuur-Karif said we should go to a chapel to learn what was going on and led the way south to an inn. It was almost empty and we continued down some stairs in the back to the customary washbasins. There was only one apeoid in the chapel itself and I noted that Yana had no issue entering. Nuur-Karif sat down to pray near the apeoid, while I found a spot in the back were I could observe.

After a while, the apeoid said that someone should have arrived. The day was ending, so the Ashtarites should have their meet. Nuur-Karif responded that it was odd and said they were from Sam. The apeoid asked if Nuur-Karif knew any way to get across the river. They said they were from outside Byblos and used to make knives, but had found a dying snake on the road leading south. It looked like something had hurt it and it was trying to escape. They had interpreted this as a sign that they had to travel to Sam and warn the Ashtarites there. However, they had arrived in East Sam two days earlier, but not managed to cross the rivers yet.

When the apeoid arrived, they had heard that something terrible had happened in Byblos. The King's fleet had fled south and were anchored a few kilometers south of Sam at the edge of the wetlands. No boats were allowed to cross the river and someone had found a frozen reed. That should not occur so far south.

They wondered again if anyone were coming for the meet and soon after, we heard someone hurrying down the stairs. Two apeoids appeared in the doorway and looked stressed, but they calmed down when they entered the sanctuary. After the usual Ashtarite greetings, one of the newcomers led a short meet.

Once they were finished, Nuur-Karif asked if they knew how to get across the river. They did not and the best advice they could give was to bribe the other apeoids to get ahead in the queue. The same day the king's fleet arrived, the militia had arrived from Sam and claimed the council in Sam had forbid anyone from crossing. Nobody knew who were in control of the ships, but there were lots of rumours, among others that there were mercenaries from the west, which Nuur-Karif confirmed. There were also rumours that the militia came from the wetlands. Their equipment certainly looked rather ragged.

The two apeoids that had arrived for the meet left as quickly as when they came. Nuur-Karif presented themselves to the Byblos apeoid, who said their name was Zak. Nuur-Karif thought we had three options, contact the fleet, try to bribe the guards, or sneak across. When we left the fleet, Nulius' priests looked like they wanted to murder us and there was no need for Mir to know we were there. Nulius' agents probably spotted us the moment we arrived, but I gestured for Nuur-Karif that contacting the fleet was a bad idea. Zak thought the first option was strange and had no faith in the second, so they recommended trying to sneak across.

We decided that I should sneak down to the water and steal a boat, then row to a meeting place and pick up the others. We considered meeting up somewhere south of the town, but I thought it would bring us too close to the fleet and Nulius' agents, so we decided to find a meeting place north of town. I would have to row against the currents, but it should not be an issue.

The militias had placed torches along the river bank that extended several hundred meters beyond the docks and the town's edge. About a kilometer north of town, we found a relatively sheltered spot on the riverbank between to large boulders. My skin was still flashing, which put Zak on edge. More importantly, it would make it harder to reach a boat, so I covered my face and hands in makeup. I would not have any camouflage, but unless these apeoids were unusually alert, I would do fine without it.

After I had put some distance between myself and the others, I tied the threads to catch more light. For a second, the world was bathed in shades of blue, pink, and green, but it soon settled down and I could see in the dark.

I silently made my way back into the city and down to the docks. It had become considerably colder since Ajaw went beneath the horizon, but I should be able to get back to Nuur-Karif before it got too cold.

The militia were busy dragging the boats up on the river banks and piers. This was a lot more effort than I would have expected from the shabby looking militia. However, it did not look like anyone were doing something as basic as counting the boats. I continued down the docks until I spotted an area where the torchlight was partially blocked by a stack of crates. The militias were working on raising the boats from the water, but I spotted a small pram at the end of one of the piers. While small, it would be sufficient to carry the four of us. I was glad the Grogg and Wolfram had stayed behind though.

I quickly and silently made my way out to the pram while the apeoids were busy raising a boat. I considered if I should create an illusion of the pram to hide my escape. However, a rope suddenly snapped and the apeoids on the other pier dropped their boat back into the water followed by a stream of loud curses. I took the opportunity to push out and disappear into the fog while they were occupied.

I found the others at the meeting place and we set off across the Ar. There were torches along the docks on the far side as well, so we could not row straight to Sam. Nuur-Karif knew of a vegetable garden a bit north of Sam that should be a suitable landing spot. By the time we reached the garden, my limbs had begun to stiffen up. On the way over, I noticed Zak sneaking glances at me with a combination of fear and curiosity. I wondered what Nuur-Karif had said. Stealing a boat should not have instilled that much interest.

After landing we hid the boat in the reeds and set off up to Sam proper. If we were lucky, nobody would find the pram and we could take it back. It should at least remain hidden through the night.

Nuur-Karif led the way through the muddy streets to the mercenary complex. There were fewer drunks and more guard patrols in the streets than last time, but the situation did not seem to be particularly tense. Several of the patrols looked like the militia in East Sam and Nuur-Karif thought they might be from the wetlands.

The complex was relatively quiet, but there were a few assassins in the common room. Nuur-Karif arranged rooms and told us to come down to the common room once we had dropped off our luggage. My room was in the same part of the building as last time, with windows facing east.

I left my things and went down again to the common room meeting Zak in the stairs. Nuur-Karif was waiting and we went down to the temple. I made sure to wash off the makeup in the wash basins, catching Zak staring a few times. I covered myself up again with the hood before we entered the temple, but the room was empty save for the snakes.

Nuur-Karif went to the altar followed by Yana and Zak while I went to a corner. However, before Nuur-Karif could kneel down to pray, Ruk peeked out from one of the side corridors. They were happy to see Nuur-Karif and very surprised when they heard we had come from East Sam. Zak was introduced and told their story. They thought they had come too late, but hoped they could stay in Sam. Ruk said they might have a job for them and after a bit of back and forth, they said they would wait up in the common room.
Stomoxys is offline   Reply With Quote