Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-09-2021, 06:37 PM   #1
SID

Default Moving from d20 to GURPS

I just finished a couple of campaigns I ran under d20 systems. Now I want to prepare a game with GURPS, a Star Wars game. I also play GURPS, mostly dungeon fantasy.

Besides the opportunity of running any game I can imagine; I’m trying to get my friends to dive into GURPS because the community is very active! I’ve found a bit of resistance because Star Wars is already out for D20, but I am up to the challenge.

My initial questions are:

What would be the appropriate TL?
How would you build the force powers?
I plan to include combat in star-fighters, where do I find guidelines for that?
If you’ve run Star Wars with GURPS, let me know about your experience.
SID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 06:53 PM   #2
AOTA

Default Re: Moving from d20 to GURPS

Someone did this very unofficial Star Wars conversion to GURPS 4th edition. Might be a good start for you to work from. http://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1380393515310.pdf
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:00 PM   #3
trechriron

Do a search for GURPS Star Wars. There is a 4e supplement floating out there that is incredibly thorough. Also, a sentient species writeup. Should save you some time creating your own thing... :D
My Blog
trechriron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 07:15 PM   #4
thalcos

Be sure to run it with Impulse Buys! I.e., letting players spend character points to avoid damage, turn success into failures, and add dramatic hooks during a session. I typically give players 5 points to spend on Impulse Buys per adventure, which feels in the same ballpark as something like The Mandalorian.

Otherwise, GURPS blasters make for really deadly firefights, especially with new players coming from other systems who aren't used to needing to be more tactical in the face of ranged weapons.
thalcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 08:38 PM   #5
Phantasm

Throwing my SWTOR-era GURPS Star Wars document out there for the OP to peruse.

And while not exactly meant for a Star Wars setting, I have a whole line of Sith & Wesson blasters developed using the Blaster and Laser Design Pyramid article, many of which should be suitable for a Star Wars game.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 09-09-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:17 PM   #6
Polydamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID View Post
I just finished a couple of campaigns I ran under d20 systems. Now I want to prepare a game with GURPS, a Star Wars game. I also play GURPS, mostly dungeon fantasy.

Besides the opportunity of running any game I can imagine; I’m trying to get my friends to dive into GURPS because the community is very active! I’ve found a bit of resistance because Star Wars is already out for D20, but I am up to the challenge.

My initial questions are:

What would be the appropriate TL?
How would you build the force powers?
I plan to include combat in star-fighters, where do I find guidelines for that?
If you’ve run Star Wars with GURPS, let me know about your experience.
Some options in GURPS Action could be good for things like chase scenes. I think GURPS Spaceships has the space combat rules.

The most important piece of advice I can give is that this is not rational science fiction. The more your world basically works like TL 6-7 but with droids and contragravity instead of servants and internal-combustion engines, the more 'Star Warsy' it will feel.

This forum got less aggravating when I started using the ignore feature
Polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 12:09 AM   #7
JulianLW

Mailanka's "Psi Wars" adaptation of Star Wars is pretty amazing. You should check it out.

His blog, Mailanka's Musings, has an incredible catalog of entries on the setting development.

And finally, Mailanka's rationale for filing the serial numbers off the source material: "Psi Wars: Don't Convert, Create!"
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:07 AM   #8
tbone

Another relevant book is GURPS Adaptations. It's not a book you need to get going; unlike the great fan resources people pointed out, it (AFAIK) contains nothing specific to Star Wars. But if you want to take a deep dive into the broader business of recreating fictional worlds, you might find it a good read.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #9
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOTA View Post
Someone did this very unofficial Star Wars conversion to GURPS 4th edition. Might be a good start for you to work from. http://i.4pcdn.org/tg/1380393515310.pdf
That is the old version from 2009 which uses the old Classic GURPS TL scale. There is a new version (2019) accessible only via Dark Lord Azagthoth's own forum/website which requires a log in to download, is in zip file, and is hidden away under Star Wars>TRPG>Downloads>Previous.

As for TL, Star Wars sits at TL10^ using the method outlined in Adaptations.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:27 PM   #10
SID

This goes deeper than I imagined, thanks for these gems. Lots of new stuff and lots of reading for the weekend.
SID is offline   Reply With Quote