Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-02-2016, 09:32 PM   #1
Minuteman37

Default GURPS Aging Rules Questions

Ok so to find your effective HT score for the purpose of an aging roll you add your TL-3 and the same bonus or penalty for a fit/unfit advantage right?

If so that seems rather odd. Let's say in a hypothetical situation I was born in new york city on new year's day 1930 and I'm a pretty healthy baby boy, but not abnormally so at HT 12. So let's flash forward 50 years to the year 1980 and my first GURPS aging roll, It's 1980 the first year of TL8 so my effective HT for this roll is 12+8-3=17. Now according to the GURPS aging rules only an 18 is a failure for me and even that isn't a critical one, my chances of failing just one aging roll are 0.46% and only a failure on my HT score role will making future failure's happen more often. At this rate I'll be 87 before I fail my first roll and unless that was a HT roll I'll be 100 at the second and one every 12 years after that.

So is my math wrong or does a GURPS universe have unusually long lived people in it?
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #2
ArchonShiva

Default Re: GURPS Aging Rules Questions

"Only 18 fails" is conditional on Longevity. In your example, any 17 or 18 is still a loss of two levels.

If you plan on ever reaching aging rolls, get Longevity - it's a bargain!
ArchonShiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:39 PM   #3
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchonShiva View Post
"Only 18 fails" is conditional on Longevity. In your example, any 17 or 18 is still a loss of two levels.

If you plan on ever reaching aging rolls, get Longevity - it's a bargain!
Ah I see what you're talking about, my bad and yes Longevity in a generational campaign is by far worth the points if you don't want to die from natural causes .
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:47 AM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Most people still die from cancer and heart disease rather than "old age" loss of stats.
Longevity does allow supposedly realistic humans to live past 200 though.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:17 AM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Most people still die from cancer and heart disease rather than "old age" loss of stats.
Why shouldn't age-induced heart disease and age-induced cancer count as effects of failures on aging rolls?
Old 01-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
He might survive the direct effects (lose 9 Attribute pts) but unless he has Resistance to Disease+8 he'll have too many crit fails while rolling once per year v. the seasonal flu.

Over 200 ears he'll probably face the "killer flu" from Bio-tech (HT-4) rather than it always being the mild flu from Campaigns (HT-2) . Try and make HT-4 rolls from a base HT 8 and I think the end will be in sight.

Now, with Longevity, Resistance to Disease+8 and some Luck we might be in business.
Old 01-03-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
Peter Knutsen
Banned

I don't recall all the details of GURPS' Aging Roll rules, but if it isn't present already then you could introduce an escalating penalty to the HT roll. IIRC they start at age 50 and are yearly (at first), so the first 10 could be unpenalized, the next 10 at a -2 penalty, the next 10 at a -4 penalty, the next 10 again at a -6 penalty. That might sound extreme, but keeping the TL bonus in mind, something like that would probably result in improved simulation.

Another thing that could be done, probably should be done, is to base Aging Rolls on (HT+10)/2 instead of straight up HT.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
NineDaysDead
Banned

Old Thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy Chris View Post
Per the aging rules, B444, Longevity means that you succeed on an aging roll on anything but a 17 or 18, or only on an 18 if your modified HT is 17 or more. And if you fail the roll, you only lose one attribute level. Rolling a 17 or 18 is only a chance of 1/54, and so it is likely to take hundreds of rolls to bring any of a character's attributes down to zero, starting from 10. At four rolls a year after age 90, that means very likely living well past the world record of 122 years.

Making aging rolls experimentally against a character starting with 10 for all attributes, I get an average age at death with Longevity of about 169. The advantage is not listed as exotic, unlike Extended Lifespan, so I don't think this is the intended result. Am I misreading the rules somehow?
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtkeeper View Post
Well, a really low HT could easily result in your death years before any stat reaches zero. What is it they say- no one technically dies of 'old age', they just die of something while being old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington View Post
Low HT or ST will make a person especially vulnerable to harm. Low DX will make a person clumsy and likely to harm him or herself. Also aging slowly accelerates, as HT drops the odds of failing a roll increase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Loss of IQ will make you forget to take your pills, turn off the stove or eat, possibly all at the same time.

I think that it is taking the attributes all the way down to zero that is giving the funny answers. Very low attribute levels for all of them aren't spelled out but when your IQ drops below 6 you apparently aren't able to use human language any more.

When I've done brute force looks at Longevity and Aging I've considered death to be likely around scores of 7 or below and get numbers in the low hundreds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
Regarding disease, low HT screws you 3 ways:
1. You are more likely to get sick whenever you are exposed, so you get sick more often.
2. When you get sick the rules go: lose some HP, roll HT to resist, if you fail lose some HP, roll HT to resist, if you fail...
So someone with a low HT will lose more HP from the same disease on average.
3. Finally, after you have recovered, you roll HT to regain HP, someone with low HT takes longer to heal.

So, you lose HP more often, you lose more of them and you take longer to recover, eventually you’ll reach a point where you get sick, and start losing HP before you’ve finished healing from the last disease.

Campaigns describes “mild flu that ends in a day or two (24-hour delay, HT-2, 1 point of toxic damage, 12-hour interval, six cycles)”. For someone with HT 6 that means their resistance roll is 4, so we can assume they fail all of their rolls and lose 6 HP. With natural healing, someone with HT 6 only recovers 34 (33.8) HP per year! It will take them about 2 months to recover from a mild flu. Best hope they don’t get exposed to anything else in that time.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Why shouldn't age-induced heart disease and age-induced cancer count as effects of failures on aging rolls?
Cancer isn't a stat penalty. Also as it tends to kill in longer periods than two months it doesn't rise to Gurps disadvantage levels at all.

Some forms of heart disease could count as a Ht penalty. But isn't there already a disadvantage somewhere called weak heart?

For depressing realism, I think that instead of stat penalties, aging should give chunks of disdavantage points that PC and/or GM "spend" on appropriate age related problems.
I've imagined how each species seems to suffer certain age related disorders more often than others. Humans get heart disease and dementia like alzheimers, while cats get kidney problems. It woud make for an interesting table for aliens.
Old 01-03-2016, 03:58 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
He might survive the direct effects (lose 9 Attribute pts) but unless he has Resistance to Disease+8 he'll have too many crit fails while rolling once per year v. the seasonal flu.
My health is so so, and I've never had the flu in my 41 years on earth.
I don't think you can critically fail a roll to get a disease.
Also, why are you assuming zero medical intervention? If this guy's a TL 0 hermit, he's not going to get any human specific disease.