Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-17-2024, 09:32 AM   #791
TGLS

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Seven: "I've got a camera on her, more or less. for now. I'm dragging up more personal information... its hard on concordance personnel. Last place she was stationed was Yukor, a settlement around three frozen moons."
Quote:
Julian doesn't hear any response...
Seven: "Did you just do it? she's looking around confused."
"Well, I said her name a few times... Maybe she's not loud enough to give me a response. I think I can mess with her head, tell me how she's acting, and keep it up with the information."

I go back to talking to Reena. "Quit looking around Reena. We've been watching for a long time. Before Yukor and those frozen balls."
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 10:01 AM   #792
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Seven is muttering basic facts: people around her, details of her service record.

Royal: "I'm taking over surveillance until Seven is off of research duty. She's certainly distracted. What are you telling her? We need to either overwhelm her with information or string her along to keep her doubtful. I'll provide a running description of what she's doing. She's just standing there staring into space."

OCC: What's the general tactic here? Will he keep moving?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:47 AM   #793
TGLS

Quote:
Seven is muttering basic facts: people around her, details of her service record.

Royal: "I'm taking over surveillance until Seven is off of research duty. She's certainly distracted. What are you telling her? We need to either overwhelm her with information or string her along to keep her doubtful. I'll provide a running description of what she's doing. She's just standing there staring into space."

OCC: What's the general tactic here? Will he keep moving?
"I'm pretending I'm... Something. I'm telling her that I know everything, and letting her fill in the blanks as she will. Given that she seems really distracted by this, I'm guessing it's working. It's basically a rhythm of, 'we're very powerful, so much that we've been able to see everything you've been doing, and very annoyed about the screamer...'"

Julian keeps moving. If it seems safe, he'll head back to the tanks.
Old 01-19-2024, 08:11 AM   #794
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

It doesn't seem safe. Not yet.

Julian keeps up the spooky know it all act. This keeps her deciding for a while, before she has a conversation with her team and with someone over comms.

Royal: "We need to actual stop her. A screamer would be nice here, if we could avoid detection. Seven, do you have any threats lined up for us? leverage we can use?"

Seven: "She doesn't have many connections here. A hired concordance mercenary who'll go back home at the end of the job. She has friends inside of concordance security... but they're mostly out of reach."

Royal: "Is there something she wants? How bribeable is she?"

Seven: "How would I find out that?"

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 01-19-2024, 10:08 AM   #795
TGLS

Quote:
Royal: "We need to actual stop her. A screamer would be nice here, if we could avoid detection."
"If they're still not looking for a person, much less a kid, I could park myself somewhere and wait for her to approach. Then just surprise her with a scream..."
Quote:
Royal: "Is there something she wants? How bribeable is she?"

Seven: "How would I find out that?"
"Want me to try giving her the phone number to a drop phone or some other untraceable comm?"
Old 01-22-2024, 10:03 AM   #796
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
"If they're still not looking for a person, much less a kid, I could park myself somewhere and wait for her to approach. Then just surprise her with a scream..."
Florence: "Can you reproduce a screamer's scream for certain? It'd be a shame if that failed and you gave your position away."

Quote:
"Want me to try giving her the phone number to a drop phone or some other untraceable comm?"
Royal: "An untraceable comm? that sounds great. Seven, do you have the number? Awesome... Rook, send her the information. And tell her to contact us without telling everyone else. Do Astropics get headaches?"
Florence: "Yes, its a side effect of the screamer mechanism."
Royal: "Tell her to fake a headache and get in contact with us."

Royal: "Can they detect a faked headache?"
Florence: "Maybe over an extended time... Though if Rook can scream he might be able to give her that headache."

They don't seem to have phone numbers here, but Seven gives a site and a message method.

Old 01-22-2024, 11:27 AM   #797
TGLS

Quote:
Florence: "Can you reproduce a screamer's scream for certain? It'd be a shame if that failed and you gave your position away."
"I'm not sure... I gave the Starpus the same kind of shove that the screamer gave me the other day, so maybe? They're after me though, getting someone with a screamer near enough to me probably means they'd just get spotted first..."
Quote:
Royal: "An untraceable comm? that sounds great. Seven, do you have the number? Awesome... Rook, send her the information. And tell her to contact us without telling everyone else. Do Astropics get headaches?"
Florence: "Yes, its a side effect of the screamer mechanism."
Royal: "Tell her to fake a headache and get in contact with us."
Well, I'll do that. I contact Reena again, dropping the spooky act. "Let's talk. Fake a headache and contact [Address]"
Old 01-23-2024, 11:20 AM   #798
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"I'm not sure... I gave the Starpus the same kind of shove that the screamer gave me the other day, so maybe? They're after me though, getting someone with a screamer near enough to me probably means they'd just get spotted first..."
Royal: "That will eventually be useful, but it sounds too risky right now. Lets try negotiating for now."

Quote:
Well, I'll do that. I contact Reena again, dropping the spooky act. "Let's talk. Fake a headache and contact [Address]"

Seven: "She isn't responding... at least not yet."
Royal: "Repeat the message twice immediately, then keep up the chatter, and repeat the message in 60 seconds, on my mark. Lets keep you moving. Lets stay off of public transport and try to get you at least back in the area."

Julian is able to see Slam following basically the same route, just ahead of him.

The message is repeated.

Seven: "She's made contact. she chose text only... and she's staying on the job. She wants to know if you're human."

Royal: "Do you think he can sell this job?"
Slam: "Have we seen you try to lie yet Rook?"
Seven: "We may get more leverage if someone doesn't try and walk him through like some sort of hostage puppet."
Royal: "Let us know what you're telling her as you say it. Seven will relay information. Start with an appeal to her conscious for the starpus's sake. Then move on to money. And then to threats. And check what her loyalty to the concordance really is."

Old 01-23-2024, 01:31 PM   #799
TGLS

Quote:
Julian is able to see Slam following basically the same route, just ahead of him.
Well, good to see there's backup near by.

Quote:
Seven: "She's made contact. she chose text only... and she's staying on the job. She wants to know if you're human."

Royal: "Do you think he can sell this job?"
Slam: "Have we seen you try to lie yet Rook?"
"I don't know, have you?"

Admittedly most of his lies to them are about his dreams, and they never had a chance to know about them, so...

Quote:
Seven: "We may get more leverage if someone doesn't try and walk him through like some sort of hostage puppet."
Royal: "Let us know what you're telling her as you say it. Seven will relay information. Start with an appeal to her conscious for the starpus's sake. Then move on to money. And then to threats. And check what her loyalty to the concordance really is."
That does seem like a good plan. Now, just to get the conversation there: "Yeah, I'm human. Given the way you people treat the Starpus, I'm not too sure you are."

"I've talked with the Starpus. They seemed to think they were getting a pretty good deal. They get to live, and they work for you. I had a deal like that once; I guess I was luckier because I knew I was getting screwed."

"I'd have thought there would be more of an outcry, but you're clever there too, keeping everyone in the dark about Starpus intelligence. The Starpus weren't too happy hearing that. I guess it's not much of a surprise that they jumped at an offer that meant that they'd be getting a fairer share of the money and not being shoved into a dark corridor where nobody sees them."

"Maybe I'm being unfair. You don't have so much sway you personally gets decide what happens with the Starpus. But right here and now you have a chance. So, are you willing to help, or not?"

Quote:
[172] 24-01-24 13:00:44 CET

Influence Roll

3d6 <= 13
3 + 2 + 6 = 11 ... success
I am not sure whether this is diplomacy or fast talk. This does feel more persuasive than deceptive, but Julian's argument is based on willfully sloppy bases so I'm not sure. Anyway, he has 12 in diplomacy so if you think it's diplomacy reduce the margin by 1.

Last edited by TGLS; 01-24-2024 at 05:06 AM.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:32 AM   #800
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
"I don't know, have you?"
Royal:"you've certainly confounded us with your stories of where you came from. Go give it a shot."

Quote:
That does seem like a good plan. Now, just to get the conversation there: "Yeah, I'm human. Given the way you people treat the Starpus, I'm not too sure you are."

"I've talked with the Starpus. They seemed to think they were getting a pretty good deal. They get to live, and they work for you. I had a deal like that once; I guess I was luckier because I knew I was getting screwed."

"I'd have thought there would be more of an outcry, but you're clever there too, keeping everyone in the dark about Starpus intelligence. The Starpus weren't too happy hearing that. I guess it's not much of a surprise that they jumped at an offer that meant that they'd be getting a fairer share of the money and not being shoved into a dark corridor where nobody sees them."

"Maybe I'm being unfair. You don't have so much sway you personally gets decide what happens with the Starpus. But right here and now you have a chance. So, are you willing to help, or not?"

Is this answer being spoken aloud as well, or summarized to your allies?

Seven: "She says 'We took good care of them'. And she wants to know who is maddest. And she wants to know who are you working for. And she says 'messages slow'. I think she's complaining about how slow she is when she's multitasking."

Seven: "Royal: She's headed off the path. They aren't headed towards you anymore."

Quote:
I am not sure whether this is diplomacy or fast talk. This does feel more persuasive than deceptive, but Julian's argument is based on willfully sloppy bases so I'm not sure. Anyway, he has 12 in diplomacy so if you think it's diplomacy reduce the margin by 1.
Its possible for it to be run as either, I'd think, with different benefits, depending on "tone". The roll is a 10... so a success.

Tags
lost in dreams