Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2022, 09:54 AM   #131
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I dunno about aggressive, but assertive would certainly seem to apply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
His mild Impulsiveness and Overconfidence are doing their thing...
Yeah, Assertive is probably the right word.


I totally believe him as an eagle scout, for the record.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:24 AM   #132
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Peter is awarded 5 points for for getting the american prisoners released from Thuroma. A new Thuroma arc has started. His home visits are another on-going arc, but I don't think we've arrived at point award time on those yet.


Julian's arc has taken a wild turn. He gets 2 points for interfering with the plans to take Bumundo, and for establishing himself in a location. We will be considering his kidnapping as a different arc
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 10:08 AM   #133
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Julian's arc has taken a wild turn. He gets 2 points for interfering with the plans to take Bumundo, and for establishing himself in a location. We will be considering his kidnapping as a different arc
What, getting kidnapped wasn't the plan? I'll take, hm, Riask (Broken/None) and Artist (Drawing). If not the language, then, I dunno, Fast-Talk? I spent a lot of time lying.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 06:47 PM   #134
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
OCC: Historically, Lost in dreams has in-game luck regeneration... but moving it to a number of posts is probably a good idea. What are we using for the other two games?
OK, so here are the relevant posts I could find:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
ehh... not really. Luck is weird in play by post, but I'd like it to apply to "out of game time" rather than "in-game". I've been counting the number of posts between uses. The count for luck recharge is between 20 and 40 posts (I haven't decided yet, and you haven't made me decide yet), provided something weird doesn't happen that justifies double counting or excluding posts from counting. If I settle on 30 posts as the number, that means 1 post is about 2 minutes of play, which sounds about right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
In dreadstormers I'm using a baseline of 30 posts being an hours worth of play. I beginning to suspect that the number should be something more akin to 10 posts * (number of posters). "session" is a less objective measure, but I've seen posts saying the "predicted" session is four hours, so we can use that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
You gave us Destiny 3 with our packages and I used one in the game before now in Post #217. Was the refresh rate 120 posts?
That was the suggested rate for wildcards (and thus other "per-session" traits like destiny) to refresh.
So it appears you (we?) settled on 30 posts per "gameplay"-hour. It's worth noting that you appeared to have 30 in mind before Hide joined, so that fits with the 10 * Posters formula you made up.

Not sure if 20 or 30 fit better. 20 would let Julian make a reroll back when he decided to hop in the hole and still make a reroll today (posts 257 and 277). 30 would place the last possible reroll before he knew about a hole (post 247). Peter seems to roll less often than Julian does (that's just how he rolls 😎), but looking at the period around April-2022, he burnt Luck on post 1064-1065, 20 would give him luck back around when he made an intimidation roll (post 1084), though 30 would be roughly consistent with his second use of luck for Public Speaking (post 1093).

I dunno whether timing these rolls more closely would be a good thing or a bad thing. I've mostly been sticking with my rolls on account of uncertainty whether Luck would recover in time to help if something terrible happened. Going with "oh, just wait 30 posts" and the pacing of activity, (265: Let's Steal Something. 266: Here's what you can steal, 267: Questions about what I can steal. 268: Answers. 269: I'll steal this and hide them), that's a pretty rapid turnaround to use luck again. So maybe like a hybrid model of "post counting" and "narrative" should be used, with back and forthing counting as fewer posts so we don't end up with a relatively high rate of lucky rolls. Or at least checking that enough posts have passed at post X, not X+2 (X: I roll skill. X+1: The result is bad. Would you like to reroll? X+2: I reroll that).
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:08 AM   #135
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
So it appears you (we?) settled on 30 posts per "gameplay"-hour. It's worth noting that you appeared to have 30 in mind before Hide joined, so that fits with the 10 * Posters formula you made up.

Not sure if 20 or 30 fit better. 20 would let Julian make a reroll back when he decided to hop in the hole and still make a reroll today (posts 257 and 277). 30 would place the last possible reroll before he knew about a hole (post 247). Peter seems to roll less often than Julian does (that's just how he rolls 😎), but looking at the period around April-2022, he burnt Luck on post 1064-1065, 20 would give him luck back around when he made an intimidation roll (post 1084), though 30 would be roughly consistent with his second use of luck for Public Speaking (post 1093).

I dunno whether timing these rolls more closely would be a good thing or a bad thing. I've mostly been sticking with my rolls on account of uncertainty whether Luck would recover in time to help if something terrible happened. Going with "oh, just wait 30 posts" and the pacing of activity, (265: Let's Steal Something. 266: Here's what you can steal, 267: Questions about what I can steal. 268: Answers. 269: I'll steal this and hide them), that's a pretty rapid turnaround to use luck again. So maybe like a hybrid model of "post counting" and "narrative" should be used, with back and forthing counting as fewer posts so we don't end up with a relatively high rate of lucky rolls. Or at least checking that enough posts have passed at post X, not X+2 (X: I roll skill. X+1: The result is bad. Would you like to reroll? X+2: I reroll that).
Lets go with 20, with the GM reserving the right to disable posts that are "not much action". That should keep enough wiggle in the system to keep us honest.



As a side note, for posters in lost in dreams who post five times a week, that's luck every two weeks.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 02:05 PM   #136
the_matrix_walker
 
the_matrix_walker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lynn, MA
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I will save the luck and deal with the bruise. How are we doing Luck availablity? Is it Game Time, or every so many posts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Huh, the original OCC thread says that luck is game time.
When this has been discussed in the past, you saved such post-count headaches by declaring it was "Game Time".
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 03:27 PM   #137
TGLS
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

The problem with game time is (by default) a day long, which is an intensely variable amount of time. For example, 80 posts ago, I'd say a day would be less than 20 posts. 80 posts later and I'm not sure if a day has passed or not. Knowing the rate you get luck back is pretty important to judge how often you should use it.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022, 08:48 AM   #138
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
When this has been discussed in the past, you saved such post-count headaches by declaring it was "Game Time".
This is quite true. I've recently become a little skeptical of the wisdom of this approach.



If you want Peter to stay on "per day", that's fine, I'm just considering the change here.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 09:39 AM   #139
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Quote:
Erring on the side of 'too many rolls' seems better than a delay.

I don't disagree!
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 07:24 AM   #140
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Lost in Dreams II (OCC)

Sorry about the delay. The flu just knocked me out for two days.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ericthered, friendpmcii, lost in dreams

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.