Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Cadius

Default [solved] Missing Data Set Error after My Documents moved

I'm getting the following error when I try to start GCA b4.0.383:
"The Data Set that I'm supposed to use (default.gds) doesn't seem to exist. Please create it, or select another, from the next dialog box. (Press Cancel to skip loading the Data Set.)"
So I click Cancel. Go to Tools. Under Data Sets, nothing is selected. If I try to search for one (via the Change... button or via adding files) I get a box that says, "Run-time error '0'". When I click Ok, it dumps me out of the program.

I'm running build 383 on a Windows 7 x64 machine.

I tried reinstalling but that didn't fix it.

I then went into this folder: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Steve Jackson Games\GURPS Character Assistant 4\ and edited the gca.ini file.

In it, I found several path statements to a network drive ("Y:\") that I no longer use. Once I changed those to the correct path "\\server\users\<username>\My Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 4\..." everything worked fine.

So if you move your My Documents folder, GCA doesn't know how to find it again. I guess if I had uninstalled and reinstalled, it might have fixed it too, assuming the uninstall deletes the gca.ini file?

Anyway, wanted to post this out here in case someone else runs into the same problem.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
tmedwards

Default Re: [solved] Missing Data Set Error after My Documents moved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadius View Post
I then went into this folder: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Steve Jackson Games\GURPS Character Assistant 4\ and edited the gca.ini file.

In it, I found several path statements to a network drive ("Y:\") that I no longer use. Once I changed those to the correct path "\\server\users\<username>\My Documents\GURPS Character Assistant 4\..." everything worked fine.

So if you move your My Documents folder, GCA doesn't know how to find it again.
Most programs will balk when you move their files without telling them, so yes, updating GCA's file paths is a must when you move its files.

TIP: You don't need to edit GCA's INI by hand to update the file paths in recent versions of GCA—since at least the last two versions. You can now go to:
Tools > Options… > Program Options (tab) > User-Created File Folders (section) > File Folders (button)

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote