Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
Hippiechild

Default Building a Golem-Blade

Ok Odd title, but I had no idea what to call it.

Hello Hive-mind! I come to ask a (probably simple) question for how to model something I'm working on. I am building a Golem with a switchable Broadsword-arm. The plan is to have the arm lose the ability to use its hand while the blade is out, but I have no idea how to model this. Could someone help me out?

Thanks for any input in advance!
Hippiechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Building a Golem-Blade

The simplest way to build this would be a Cutting Striker or ST-based Innate Attack, with Temporary Disadvantage: One Hand.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 AM   #3
Hippiechild

That sounds good, but how would you model the 1-2 Reach, or the ability to do swing damage with it? Does the St-Based modifier add that in automatically?

Also, I cannot see to be able to make it's usage be based on a Broadsword Skill rather than DX.

Last edited by Hippiechild; 08-20-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:43 AM   #4
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiechild View Post
That sounds good, but how would you model the 1-2 Reach, or the ability to do swing damage with it? Does the St-Based modifier add that in automatically?

Also, I cannot see to be able to make it's usage be based on a Broadsword Skill rather than DX.
I'd forgotten that Strikers are based on thrust instead of swing. A ST-Based Innate Attack is probably a better way to go. The ST-Based enhancement is introduced in Powers (pg 103) and expanded upon in Power-Ups 4 (pg 20). Here's an example Broadsword-style attack:

Blade Arm
Cutting Attack 0d+1 (Melee Reach C,1 -20%, ST-Based +100%, Thrusting Blade +15%, Temporary Disad: One Hand -15%) [4]

This deals sw+1 cutting or thr+1 impaling (the Thrusting Blade enhancement lets it switch between the two). I think the inclusion of Temporary Disadvantage means you need to take a Ready action to switch on the weapon.

Oh, as for skill used, that's basically a feature. Melee Innate Attacks normally use Brawling (an Easy skill) but you can freely replace it with any other skill the GM agrees is appropriate.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:05 AM   #5
Hippiechild

That's exactly what I needed, thanks!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:17 AM   #6
Hippiechild

One last question. Does the "Thrusting Blade" enhancement come from any source book, or is it just constructed for the sake of this Thread?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:23 AM   #7
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiechild View Post
One last question. Does the "Thrusting Blade" enhancement come from any source book, or is it just constructed for the sake of this Thread?
It's also found in Power-Ups 4.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:03 AM   #8
pax360volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
It's also found in Power-Ups 4.
hi! i was following this topic with very interest :) i was searching the .gdf file of power-ups 4 for the GURPS character assistant but i didn t find it here ( http://charabogen.2w10.de/gurps/gca4/data%20files/ ) . do you know where i could find it?
pax360volt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
golem, power, template