Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Help me create some fantasy nymph templates!

Here are some nymph templates that I've been working on. However, I don't think that I'm too happy with them. Something seems off... I want them all to be relatively balanced, and all of them should be between 33-100 points. I also wanted to add a land nymph as well as a celestial nymph (based on stars and such) as well as an underworld nymph. However, I don't really know where to go with them. These are for a 150-point fantasy campaign where RPM is being used instead of the normal magic system. I wouldn't mind just completely redoing these templates if it meant that they turned out better.

Muse Nymphs
45 points
Attribute Modifiers: HT +1 [10].
Advantages: Appearance (Transcendental; Universal, +25%) [25]; Charisma 3 [15]; Doesn't Eat or Drink [10]; Magery 1 (Artistic Spells Only, -20%) [15]; Musical Ability 1 [5]; Unaging [5]; Voice [10].
Disadvantages: Dependency (Mana; Very Common; Constantly) [-25]; Pacifism (Self-Defense Only) [-15]; Wealth (Struggling) [-10].
Languages: Elven (Native) [0]. Can learn Common (Native) [6].
Features: Sterile.

Plant Nymphs
58 points
Advantages: Animal Empathy [5]; Appearance (Transcendental; Universal, +25%) [25]; Charisma 3 [15]; Doesn't Eat or Drink [10]; Green Thumb 1 [5]; Magery 1 (Nature Spells Only, -25%) [13]; Permeation (Specific Forest; Meld 1, +150%) [50]; Plant Empathy [5]; Speak With Plants [15]; Unaging [5].
Disadvantages: Dependency (Mana; Very Common; Constantly) [-25]; Dependency (Permeation; Uncommon; Monthly) [-20]; Pacifism (Self-Defense Only) [-15]; Sense of Duty (Nature) [-15]; Wealth (Dead Broke) [-25].

Water Nymphs
47 points
Advantages: Amphibious [10]; Animal Empathy [5]; Animal Friend 1 [5]; Appearance (Transcendental; Universal, +25%) [25]; Charisma 3 [15]; Doesn't Eat or Drink [10]; Magery 1 (Water Spells Only, -30%) [12]; Permeation (Specific Waters; Meld 1, +150%) [50]; Plant Empathy [5]; Speak Underwater [5]; Unaging [5].
Disadvantages: Dependency (Mana; Very Common; Constantly) [-25]; Dependency (Large Pool of Water; Common; Daily) [-30]; Pacifism (Self-Defense Only) [-15]; Sense of Duty (Nature) [-15]; Wealth (Dead Broke) [-25].

Like I said, they just feel a little off. They just don't seem... I dunno... Nymph-y enough. Any suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #2
RyanW

Default Re: Help me create some fantasy nymph templates!

If you're going by Greek mythology, Sterile doesn't fit. Several nymphs became mothers, typically with a Titan (bearing other nymphs) or with Zeus (bearing gods and demigods).

Also, some disadvantage or collection of disadvantages to model their fickle behavior would be interesting.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
If you're going by Greek mythology, Sterile doesn't fit. Several nymphs became mothers, typically with a Titan (bearing other nymphs) or with Zeus (bearing gods and demigods).

Also, some disadvantage or collection of disadvantages to model their fickle behavior would be interesting.
Hmm... I'll go ahead and remove that then. And how would you go about modeling their fickle behavior? That might just be what I need. Especially if each type of nymph could be a little different.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
Pomphis

Dryad (130)
ST 9 (-10), DX 12 (40), IQ 10 (0), HT 12 (20),
Transcendent (Universal) (25), Charisma +2 (10), Doesn´t Eat or Drink (10),
Permeation: Wood (Carry No Encumbrance, Meld 1) (104),
Unaging (15), Intuitive Cantrip: Friendly Undergrowth (1), Sanitized Metabolism (1),
Dependency (Mana, Constantly) (-25), Dependency (Home Wood, Weekly) (-60),
Unnatural Feature (-1): skin and hair color are non-human

Hamadryad (100)
Permeation: Wood (Carry No Encumbrance, Meld 1) (104),
Unaging (15), Intuitive Cantrip: Friendly Undergrowth (1), Sanitized Metabolism (1),
Dependency (Mana, Constantly) (-25), Dependency (Home Tree, Daily) (-90),

Oread (100)
Permeation: Stone (Carry No Encumbrance, Meld 1) (104),
Unaging (15), Intuitive Cantrip: Pebbles (1), Sanitized Metabolism (1),
Dependency (Mana, Constantly) (-25), Dependency (Home Mountain or Grotto, Daily) (-90),

Naiad (55)
Transcendent (Universal) (25), Charisma +2 (10), Amphibious (10), Doesn´t Breathe (Oxygen Absorption) (15),
Doesn´t Eat or Drink (10), Pressure Support 2 (10), Slippery+4 (8), Speak Underwater (5), Unaging (15),
Vibration Sense (Water) (10), Intuitive Cantrip: Rinse (1), Sanitized Metabolism (1),
Dependency (Mana, Constantly) (-25), Dependency (Home Freshwater Body, Daily) (-90),

Nereid (55)
Transcendent (Universal) (25), Charisma +2 (10), Amphibious (10), Doesn´t Breathe (Oxygen Absorption) (15),
Doesn´t Eat or Drink (10), Pressure Support 2 (10), Slippery+4 (8), Speak Underwater (5), Unaging (15),
Vibration Sense (Water) (10), Intuitive Cantrip: Rinse (1), Sanitized Metabolism (1),
Dependency (Mana, Constantly) (-25), Dependency (Home Saltwater Body, Daily) (-90),

Lampade (20)
Transcendent (Universal) (25), Charisma +2 (10), Dark Vision (25), Doesn´t Eat or Drink (10),
Unaging (15), Sanitized Metabolism (1),
Dependency (Mana, Constantly) (-25), Dependency (Home Cave, Daily) (-90),

Nephelae (135)
Flight (Lighter Than Air) (40) linked with Insubstantiality (Can Carry No Encumbrance) (88), Unaging (15),
Vibration Sense (Air) (10), Air Jet (1), Sanitized Metabolism (1),
Dependency (Mana, Constantly) (-25), Dependency (Home Cloud, Daily) (-90),
Pomphis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Refplace

Here are the Nymphs I built for my High Fantasy campaign.
They have a basic template [65] then a lens for another hundred or so and are higher budget then yours. But I do have Astrids so you might get something useful here.
Hags and Citratrophs (Earth Wives) are major power ups to the base template + lens.

Attribute Modifiers: HT +1 [10]
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers:
Advantages: Appearance (Transcendent, Universal, +25%) [25]; Charisma 5 [25]; Unaging [15]; Control (Nature) [30]
Disadvantages: Dependency (Mana; Very Common; Constantly) [-25]; Sense of Duty (Nature) [-15]
Quirks:
Racial Skills: Diplomacy IQ
Features:
Common Advantages and Disadvantages
Plant Empathy, Animal Empathy, Spirit Empathy and regular Empathy are all fairly common with most having at least one of these advantages.
Social skills are standard.

Culture
Nymphs are guardians of resources and sacred places. Female in form, they are unaging and very magical.
They belong to the Hidden kaya grouping.
Nymphs come in various types, each based on a certain area and have different powers which grow as they mature and even more so as they settle down.
Unsettled nymphs use the basic template above and that is how most PC versions would be. When they are ready to settle down or find a place in need of protection they bond to it and change in appearance and powers to one of the lenses below.
Nymphs are very social but cautious about their charges and very aware of the effects their appearance can have on others. They are fairly promiscuous and enjoy flirtation and liaisons but they also mate for life with the spirit of the place they have bonded too. They potentially have some powerful magic but prefer to talk rather then fight.

Bonded Nymphs
Below are the various types of Nymphs
Astriads (Stars) [131]
Astriads are possibly the rarest of nymphs and they do not bond to a place but instead they bond to the night and serve Nox and work with disembodied spirits more then spirits of place.
Required: Warp (Blind, +50%; Only at night and places visible to the stars, -40%) [110]; Spirit Empathy [15]; Control (Spirit) as an AA of Control (nature) [6]
Optional: Add Reliable to Warp, Medium, Channeling

Disir (Village) [110]
Disir are unusual in that they bond with a town and hide among the buildings. The town may have a town sprit but if it does not they work hard to draw one into staying. Of course it usually is a town of Kaya that they bound with but Khemites and even humans have been known to see their favor. They usually use fewer nature spells and instead promote the health of the town by cleansing the water and encouraging others to support and care for the town. They often learn classical magics, especially Book/Path towards these ends.
Required: Permeation (Wood; Meld 1, 150%) [100] (Meld 2 for 160 pts is typically bought later); Control (Nature) is bumped up to Control (Mana)
Optional: Special Rapport [5];

Dryads (Trees) [110]
Dryads are probably the most well known and often encountered among settled nymphs. They bond to a Koad (sentient tree).
Required: Permeation (Wood; Meld 1, 150%) [100] (Meld 2 for 160 pts is typically bought later); Special Rapport [5]; Plant Empathy [5];
Optional: Speak With Plants

Limoniads (Meadows) [110]
Limoniads are caretakers of meadows, including the animals that visit and stay there and they have the closest relationship to animals. Their meadows are also popular visit spots by Fauns and even some of the plains folk.
Required: Permeation (Meadow; Meld 1, 150%) [100] (Meld 2 for 160 pts is typically bought later); Special Rapport [5]; Animal Empathy [5];
Optional: Speak with Animals

Maenads (Lust, Orgy) [55]
Maenads are rare, even among nymphs and they do not bond to a place so are in many ways weaker. Instead they travel around and are concerned with fertility and new growth. They use their appearance and skills to inspire lust and then drain energy from those they can touch who are "in the mood". If they can throw together a big enough party they can drain just a little from several people and still power up their ER for some powerful spells.
Required: Leech 3 (Accelerated Healing, +25%; Steal FP only, -25%; Only Heals FP in ER, -20%; Must be aroused, -20%; Contact Agent, -30%; Net -70%) [10]; ER 50 (Special recharge from Leech only, -70%) [45]
Optional:

Nereids (ocean) [115]
Required: Permeation (Ocean; Meld 1, 150%) [100] (Meld 2 for 160 pts is typically bought later); Special Rapport [5]; Amphibious [10]
Optional: Doesn't Breathe (Gills, -50%) [10]

Naiads (Streams, Grottos) [115]
Required: Permeation (Water; Meld 1, 150%) [100] (Meld 2 for 160 pts is typically bought later); Special Rapport [5]; Amphibious [10]
Optional: Doesn't Breathe (Gills, -50%) [10]

Oreads (Mountains) [105]
Oreads bond to a particular mountain.
Required: Permeation (Stone; Meld 1, 150%) [100] (Meld 2 for 160 pts is typically bought later); Special Rapport [5]
Optional:

Additionally there are two more kinds.
Corrupted Race: Hags [200]
Hags are Nymphs who have either had their place destroyed or corrupted or were turned and corrupted prior to finding a place.
Required: Permeation (Everything; Meld 1, 150%) [200]
Optional:

Citratroph (Earth Wives) [320]
Citratroph have a wider reach then normal bonded nymphs and though they are still typically bonded to a place and its spirit they have the ability to travel much farther away.
Required: Everything in the appropriate bonded lens that is required; Permeation (Everything; Meld 2, 150%) [320];
Optional: Everything from the appropriate bonded lens;
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
Not another shrubbery

For inspiration, you might check the Nymph template from Fantasy p213, or the Spring Spirit template from Banestorm p199. I'd not go with Transcendent Appearance as a racial norm, myself, but would go with a lesser level to allow for more exceptional individuals.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
AlexAB

For modeling fickle behavior of muses, how about modeling it like a duty? Maybe something like this:

Fickle Heart
Varies
A fickle hearted person has a very tempestuous love life. He or she is always falling in love, and quite often with the wrong sort. This disadvantage should work more or less like a duty. Every adventure (or, if your group doesn't divide its exploits like that, every month), roll against the disadvantage score. If you roll higher, you are not infatuated with anyone this adventure, and if you were last time, the infatuation has died. If you roll lower, you either begin the adventure infatuated with someone or will end up so during the game, however the GM wishes. If you roll a 3 or a 4, or 7 less than the target number, you will be infatuated with two people. Being infatuated should be seen as a kind of duty, in which your PC need to seek out the target of his affections and somehow get some kind of reciprocity. The price for this disadvantage is the same as duty: it isn't very hazardous, but it isn't very voluntary either.

Whenever a muse falls in love with someone, she saw in his (or her) heart something special, a brute gem, for so to say, and wants to bring that out by inspiring that person. I didn't use lecherousness because the point is that it isn't at all physical.

For Plant Nymphs, you could maybe use this:

Seasonal
-20 Points
The mood, behavior, and even a bit of the character's appearance change according to the local season. Effectively, this is a different disadvantage every season. On winter, the seasonal character is extremely thin (skinny), her hair is white and she feels depressed and unable to do much (like chronic depression). On spring the character's hair is colored like any flower she prefers, she gains an extra level of beauty and the lecherousness disadvantage. On summer, the character's hair is a deep green and she has a disadvantage similar to maniac-depressive. Except instead of chronic depression, she has both bad temper and berserk (this is to represent the fickle nature of summer, where a day may be going great and suddenly turn to storms). On autumn, you have reddish-brow hair, and suffer from the selfless character trait.

If you prefer, the above could be modeled as limitation to disadvantages (-50% - Only during one season maybe?). Anyway, I hope this helps!
AlexAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAB View Post
For modeling fickle behavior of muses, how about modeling it like a duty? Maybe something like this:
Those are pretty cool.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post

3red edition had Capricious -15 for that kind of unpredictable emotional volatility.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexAB View Post
The price for this disadvantage is the same as duty: it isn't very hazardous, but it isn't very voluntary either.
I'd model it after a combination of Obsession and OPH that can use Self Control. Base value would be 10 for an obsession that leads to a minor OPH (worth the same as an involuntary duty) but if SC is anything other than 12, it changes the value.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy, nature, nymph, nymphs, template