Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Other Munchkin Games

Old 11-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
kilnar

Default Re: Munckin Quest Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan
I'd also make sure you're paying attention to each Monster's movement issues. Many behave differently and some respond differently to different door types, causing them to stop sooner, move in different directions, etc., helping to keep massive mobs of monsters roaming about.
We did pay attention to the opposite moving monsters (Contrary, I think was the key word) and the fact that some monsters could (or could not) move through certain passageways. This helped peel the random monster from the pack, but we'd still end up with 4-5 monsters in a room. The Bermuda Triangle card was used primarily to "destroy" the room with the pack in order to clear it out.
kilnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:31 AM   #12
mib2932

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilnar
I don't have the rules handy, but my memory of them was that searching was optional. Most of our players would rather explore (DxM cards!) and fight monsters (Treasure cards!) than search for gold, and a chance at treasure.
Hey, many of those entries also give you treasure cards. Most turns I was getting 3 or 4 treasure cards, typically with only one combat.
mib2932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
kilnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mib2932
Hey, many of those entries also give you treasure cards. Most turns I was getting 3 or 4 treasure cards, typically with only one combat.
True. I do remember 5 and 6 (and higher, except 7) providing Treasure cards. Maybe I'll suggest to the group to do a little more searching next time. We really didn't do much searching unless we were low on Hits and needed to take the "safe route" of doing something.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #14
mib2932

Quote:
True. I do remember 5 and 6 (and higher, except 7) providing Treasure cards. Maybe I'll suggest to the group to do a little more searching next time. We really didn't do much searching unless we were low on Hits and needed to take the "safe route" of doing something.
Easy way to do the "suggesting" - stop to search each turn. When they see you putting out an item or two WITHOUT having to kill a monster, they'll figure it out.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:47 PM   #15
Cheese8242

Quote:
Originally Posted by mib2932
Easy way to do the "suggesting" - stop to search each turn. When they see you putting out an item or two WITHOUT having to kill a monster, they'll figure it out.

This is very true. In my game last night, the other players were not doing any searches. I started doing more searches and ended up getting so much treasure, within a turn or two the others had caught on and were using more moves for searching than exploring.
MIB #4282

The Most Impressive Loser in the MQ Gauntlet
Cheese8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #16
O'Keefe

We put a new rule in the MQ2 rules to start the game with 2 move for each player. Less Move does make each player's turn go faster.

One of the big reasons we kept move at three was for those turns when you can't get to a new room because the edge of the board is too far away.

Overall game length near the end of our playtest process was down to 2.5ish hours with 4 players. So experience also makes the game go faster.

And we tried a few things to remove monster clumping, but eventually Steve decided it was a game feature. We figured if the munchkins could gang up on the monsters, then it was only fair that the monsters could gang up too.
will@sjgames.com
O'Keefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:24 PM   #17
kilnar

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Keefe
We put a new rule in the MQ2 rules to start the game with 2 move for each player. Less Move does make each player's turn go faster.
We contemplated that for our future 6-player games. It's nice to know this will make it into the rules for the larger groups. Good job!

Quote:
Overall game length near the end of our playtest process was down to 2.5ish hours with 4 players. So experience also makes the game go faster.
That's what I figured we would get down to if we stuck to 4 players as well.

I would suggest on future printings to put the # of players and expected play time on the box somewhere. I noticed those details were missing, and these are vital stats for a person just shopping for a random board game and doesn't know much about (if anything) about Munchkin. I would hate for a family of 5 to get the game, and then find out Little Jimmy can't play.

Quote:
And we tried a few things to remove monster clumping, but eventually Steve decided it was a game feature. We figured if the munchkins could gang up on the monsters, then it was only fair that the monsters could gang up too.
If you could have more than one helper, I could see this logic, but our clumps were too large even for the two most powerful Munchkins to take on unless the rest of the crew started in with their Throwables. We decided to send the lot to the Bermuda Triangle and be done with them. :)
Old 11-14-2008, 01:19 AM   #18
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
I would suggest on future printings to put the # of players and expected play time on the box somewhere.
This is on the back of the box.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:16 AM   #19
mib2932

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese8242
This is very true. In my game last night, the other players were not doing any searches. I started doing more searches and ended up getting so much treasure, within a turn or two the others had caught on and were using more moves for searching than exploring.
Played a game last night. One guy ended the game at level 8 and with about a dozen item cards in front of him. He had 1 combat of his own and helped with 1 other combat in the entire game. Got the rest by searching. He never took a single hit, either. OK, he didn't win, but he did well by playing conservatively.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:38 AM   #20
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed
This is on the back of the box.
To amplify: On the back of the Munchkin Quest box, lower right edge, right next to the bar code, are four symbols.

The first is two figures facing each other, with the label "2-4."

The second is a clock, with the label "3 hours."

The third is two figures, one smaller than the other, with the label "12 and Up."

The fourth is a circle with a heavy red slash over a frowning face, and a label "0-3."

These are, according to the distributors in both the hobby and book trade we've dealt with, the standard indicators for "2-4 players, taking about 3 hours to play, players aged 12 and up, no players under 3."