Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 05-22-2022, 11:16 PM   #1
rkbrown419

Default GCA 5 Super ST

Is there a character sheet or option on a sheet that will display the Super Extra Effort values for Super ST or Super Effort on Lifting ST such as the extra effort values for Feats of Strength on the Spring Bandit Sheet or encumbrance and damage on any sheet?
rkbrown419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:12 AM   #2
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: GCA 5 Super ST

Not at present, because I'm not familiar with at all with Supers, and didn't realize that extra support for those was required.

Also, it appears that each of those Super- attributes is marked display(no), so they won't appear automatically in the Additional Attributes blocks if they become unhidden when you take the Super ST advantage.

I can add something pretty easily to display the Super-Effort versions of the various Feats of Strength. I can include the Super-Effort ST, Lifting ST, and Striking ST in the list of attributes to include on the Additional Attributes block.

I'm not sure where to display Super-Effort Encumbrance or Damage values, though.

ETA: So, I think changing the Super-Effort ST, Super-Effort Lifting ST, and Super-Effort Striking ST attributes to display(yes) will work to just have those show up in Additional Attributes when Super ST has been taken. I don't think anything needs to be changed on sheets for that, just a data file change (and updating characters that use it). And I'll do the sheet update for the super- Feats of Strength. Still no ideas on damage/encumbrance.

Last edited by Armin; 05-23-2022 at 10:23 AM. Reason: more thoughts
Armin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 01:43 PM   #3
Armin
GCA Prime

Okay, I've made a couple small updates. These are available now using Check For Updates.

1) I made the changes to the display() tags as mentioned above, in Supers and Powers (where applicable).

(These will not affect existing characters, of course, unless you Resync, and if you do Resync, the Super-Effort values will be re-hidden, so you'll want to re-add a version of the Super ST advantage to un-hide them again, then delete the redundant copy you just added.)

2) I've also updated Spring Bandit to support Super-Effort and TK scores in the Feats of Strength band. Those should just appear if the related attributes aren't hidden.

There's still some stuff to do, but I think that should help.

Updates to other sheets aren't as simple, so they may take a while.

I also need to make some more complex changes to support these super values, so that you can see the super scores in the same places as the standard scores. But that's also going to take a bit more time to support doing.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:40 PM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

And now I'm in the process of better integrating values with their non-supers versions, such as Carry on the Encumbrance & Move section. It'll probably be extra lines in most cases, but adjacent to the regular values. We'll see how it all goes.

This is for Spring Bandit (and Angry Owl). Other sheets are less flexible, so they'll be done later.
Old 05-23-2022, 08:14 PM   #5
rkbrown419

Thanks. Given how much seemed to be involved that was an amazingly fast update.
Old 05-24-2022, 10:51 AM   #6
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbrown419 View Post
Thanks. Given how much seemed to be involved that was an amazingly fast update.
Admittedly an incomplete one, but thank you. Spring Bandit was already built to be more extensible in regard to this type of update. It takes a bit longer for other extensions, and might take a fair while for a fully new type of band.

And it helps that the Powers and Supers files are well written, providing me with what I needed to know right where I wanted to see it.
Old 05-24-2022, 01:28 PM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

I've made some additional updates to Spring Bandit to better integrate with Super ST and Super-Effort if a character has it.

Super-Effort ST should now appear on the Attributes Top line if printed, as the "S-E ST" column, and in the Attributes band if printed.

Super-Effort Carry should also be shown on the Movement band.

And, if applicable, Super-Effort Thr and Sw should get printed in General Info after the regular Thr and Sw values.

Hope that helps!

(Please let me know if there are issues, of if things could be done in a more helpful/useful way. I tried to integrate with how things already worked as best I could.)

I've also added an option to scale very high weight/carry values to ton, kiloton, and megaton instead of just pounds/kilograms, if you want that. It's active by default, so if you want massive numbers, turn it back off.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:48 AM   #8
rkbrown419

From what I can tell you've created a beter implementation of Super Strength in GCA5 than anything in GCA4.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:27 AM   #9
Armin
GCA Prime

Thanks. I'll be feeding some of the same changes I made for Spring Bandit into the other sheets when I can, and I'll be doing something similar inside GCA itself where it makes sense.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:28 PM   #10
Armin
GCA Prime

When I started adding support for the Super ST stuff to GCA itself, I realized that the way I shoehorned Super-Effort ST into the attribute list in Spring Bandit wasn't the best choice, and wouldn't work properly the same way in GCA.

So I'm going to revert that, and instead make Super-Effort ST a mainwin() trait, which means that it should display as one of the primary attributes, usually right after ST, if Super-Effort ST is visible (or you have Show Hidden turned on).

That's the solution I should have done the first time around, as it's standard, and allows for reordering and changing placement. I'm not sure why I didn't do that in the first place.

I'll release an update to Spring Bandit soon, and an updated Supers file, to support this properly. It does mean that existing characters *won't* have Super-Effort ST appear properly in the primary attributes listing after that.

For existing characters, there would be two options: 1) Add Tag 'mainwin' with a value of '1' to Super-Effort ST; 2) Resync Attributes, then remove the Super ST advantage, then re-add it and re-set its value to what you had before. (Resync will re-hide attributes that were unhidden when Super ST was added, which is why the remove and re-add is required.)