Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-13-2022, 05:50 AM   #21
Bill_in_IN

Default Re: Creatures and sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
They could theoretically have researched such spells (and might, in some campaigns), but according to ITL, there is a spell that has a certain effect, and that's not how it works. Summons aren't actual people literally brought from someplace else - they don't have names or histories or opinions - they're conjured. They "bring a magical fighter into being" and "it has no will of its own" (ITL p.137). I wouldn't think they had a particular race, and maybe they can look like an elf, but they aren't an actual elf.
I wasn't implying that the summoned fighter had any special abilities beyond what is stated in the spell. If the spell doesn't allow for additional advantages or disadvantages of any race/species that it may appear to be, then so be it. GM call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
That's my preferred interpretation as well. In fact I'd prefer to think of Myrmidons appearing somewhat robotic or mechanical, with no personality in their faces.

Probably androgynous, monochromatic, homogeneous in appearance and belonging to no definite or recognizable species. That feels most in keeping with what they are supposed to be: mindless fighting machines that follow any order, only differentiated by what weaponry they come with.

Except I'm also fond of the notion that a tiny bit of the caster's personality consciously or unconsciously creeps into the appearance of all their creation spells. Maybe the wizard with a fiery personality always creates candy red Myrmidons, while another wizard's are always metallic blue. Or if the creator always wears a silly feathered hat or a bow tie, then so does any Gargoyle or Myrmidon they call up. Bears and wolves might be conjured with distinctive markings or colors. These would all have to be superficial things, they couldn't confer any advantages lest everyone starts conjuring up the same thing. Just nuances to give things more depth and occasionally make the players laugh.
OK. GM call.
Bill_in_IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hex size, monster abilities, size modifer