Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-10-2022, 03:21 AM   #21
madhopper50

Default Re: Attacking from behind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
I never noticed that.

If that's not an error, then one can Defend against thrown weapons. This makes some sense, because you can't Dodge while engaged, so if you can't Defend, then thrown weapons are especially good when you're throwing at someone engaged.

On the other hand, this means that thrown weapons can be either Dodged or Defended. The quoted bit on the screen doesn't say you have to be engaged with the thrower in order to use Defend, which means that thrown weapons are now *weaker* than missile in this respect: if A is engaged with B and C is firing a missile weapon at A, then A cannot Dodge. In the same situation, if C is throwing a dagger, say, then A can Defend.

Thanks, Axly, for pointing that out. It really is consistent with RAW's description of Defend. However, consensus seemed to be that RAW's description was a bit sloppy, and it could be that the screen just made explicit what was mistakenly implicit in RAW.

But at present, I'm thinking Defending a thrown weapon was intentional.
Decks of Destiny Player Cards have the same wording (Shift & Defend while Engaged).
madhopper50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 09:13 AM   #22
dmgrafton

Thanks everyone for the pointers on where this is located in the game book and the various views people have. This topic was not discoverable through the index, no topic on "behind" or "attack from rear" etc. I have both the hardcover book and pdf.

I was not in a pole arm scenario. This scenario was a wolf my character is training as an animal handler who got hit, disengaged, and then ran around to the rear of the opponent.

I was not using a pole arm so that scenario does not apply for me right now but will be using a pole arm in the future so I will see what the overall prevalence of thoughts on that it, but I've got my question answered so thanks everyone.
dmgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:04 AM   #23
hcobb

A wolf doesn't need the rear bonus to hit, but if it gets to a side or rear hex ought to consider going into HTH, especially if the target doesn't have a dagger in hand.
Old 04-10-2022, 10:35 AM   #24
Shostak

The wolf probably doesn’t need a rear hex in order to initiate HTH since its MA is high. If the wolf takes the rear hex, it gets a free attack, but if it goes into HTH, it can be attacked. I’d play the wolf to take the free attack, since they are cunning.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 11:59 AM   #25
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmgrafton View Post
Thanks everyone for the pointers on where this is located in the game book and the various views people have. This topic was not discoverable through the index, no topic on "behind" or "attack from rear" etc. I have both the hardcover book and pdf.

I was not in a pole arm scenario. This scenario was a wolf my character is training as an animal handler who got hit, disengaged, and then ran around to the rear of the opponent.

I was not using a pole arm so that scenario does not apply for me right now but will be using a pole arm in the future so I will see what the overall prevalence of thoughts on that it, but I've got my question answered so thanks everyone.
It is unfortunate that very often, when a beginner asks a fairly simple questions, the regulars go off on a special case tangent. Sorry for the many extra posts which distracted from your question.

However, it's started now and I reckon there's not stopping it!

ETA: (Unless, of course, the original sidetrack is superseded by a discussion of wolf tactics.)
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 02:40 PM   #26
hcobb

Wolf in the rear might want to bite the target's ankle: +4 for facing, -4 for aimed shot, so a 75% net chance of reducing an unarmored target to a kneeling position.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:06 PM   #27
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
ETA: (Unless, of course, the original sidetrack is superseded by a discussion of wolf tactics.)
Yep, you called it. And off we go...
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 03:43 PM   #28
dmgrafton

Okay that is a very interesting idea for the wolf attack regarding an aimed shot.
dmgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote