Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 01-31-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
Dalin

Default Walk Through Earth

The Walk Through Earth spell (Spells, p. 29) allows the subject to "pass through earth as though it were air." I presume this allows for vertical movement as well? In other words, the subject could walk down through the floor or climb up the interior of a stone pillar (assuming double-cost for stone).

This is nit picky, but I'm just musing about it... if the caster casts the regular version outdoors (allowing them to pass through earth, but not stone or metal) would especially rocky soil hinder them? Obviously a giant boulder or something would block their path. And I assume small stones like gravel wouldn't (because it's pretty rare to find "earth" in the wild with no stones in it), but what about soil with bigger rocks in it. I recently had a wizard doing this outdoors in an area described as rocky, and we just rolled each turn to see if he could achieve maximum move or needed to slow down (basically like paying extra move points to cross treacherous ground). Seemed like a reasonable solution, but I'm curious how others have handled this sort of situation.

Has anyone created a more powerful version that allows you to keep your stuff? How much would you charge for that? While we're at it, would you force the PC to drop jewelry (like a magic ring) or count that as clothing?
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 07:05 PM   #2
Rasputin

Default Re: Walk Through Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
The Walk Through Earth spell (Spells, p. 29) allows the subject to "pass through earth as though it were air." I presume this allows for vertical movement as well? In other words, the subject could walk down through the floor or climb up the interior of a stone pillar (assuming double-cost for stone).
My first thought was that the subject would be still subject to gravity, but then s/he would start sinking through the ground.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:06 PM   #3
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
My first thought was that the subject would be still subject to gravity, but then s/he would start sinking through the ground.
I had the same thought. Useful for all those wizards who routinely need to drop to the next level of the dungeon in their skivvies...

(Of course, in ten seconds, you'd fall some 500 yards, so it would be more than one level down!)
Old 01-31-2021, 08:54 PM   #4
LokRobster

I’d let a magic ring or other skin-hugging jewelry to count as clothing.

For energy costs of walking through “chunky earth”, i think 1.5x cost is right on :)

Seems odd there’s not a default “add-on” to bring stuff. It’d be a useful guide since most PCs would rather not leave stuff if they can avoid it.

Last edited by LokRobster; 01-31-2021 at 08:58 PM. Reason: Stone is double
LokRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 08:56 PM   #5
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LokRobster View Post
I’d let a magic ring or other skin-hugging jewelry to count as clothing.
That's my inclination too.

Quote:
For energy costs of walking through “chunky earth”, is there not a walk-through-stone spell?
Yeah, it's the same spell but it costs double. Triple to walk through metal. I am just trying to decide when to require the Walk Through Stone upgrade.

Tags
spells, walk through earth