Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
InexplicableVic
 
InexplicableVic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default Striking ST and Templates

NOTE: Not sure if this really should be in GURPS, because it's about Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Swashbucklers, which is really GURPS DF...but it seems appropriate here. My apologies if it should be elsewhere.



I was wondering why the Buccaneer class in DFD:S does not have Striking ST as an option, since all the other variant Swashbuckler templates do (as well as Barbarians, Holy Warriors, Knights in both DF and DFRPG, while Martial Artists have access to the functional equivalent Mantis Strike).



I assumed it was a design choice, but I wonder...without it, a Buccaneer could not get other Springing Attack, which seems thematically appropriate. Even the Rogue template gets it. Is this possibly an oversight, or is it something that I'm missing?


Perhaps Dr. Kromm can educate us here?
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor
 
Kromm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Default Re: Striking ST and Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan506 View Post

I was wondering why the Buccaneer class in DFD:S does not have Striking ST as an option, since all the other variant Swashbuckler templates do (as well as Barbarians, Holy Warriors, Knights in both DF and DFRPG, while Martial Artists have access to the functional equivalent Mantis Strike).
Just because buccaneers already have ST 13 vs. all the other swashbuckler variants' ST 10-11. You'll note that ST + maximum Striking ST = 13 on all the templates in the book. The idea is to keep swashbucklers in the realm of "finesse fighters" so they remain distinct from "power fighters" like knights and barbarians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan506 View Post

I assumed it was a design choice, but I wonder...without it, a Buccaneer could not get other Springing Attack, which seems thematically appropriate.
Nothing keeps a buccaneer from having Springing Attack. All swashbuckler subtypes can have all the power-ups in Chapter 2; only the basic power-ups get shuffled a little. The specific prerequisite of Springing Attack is "Trained by a Master or Weapon Master," and buccaneers start with Weapon Master.
__________________
Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch <kromm@sjgames.com>
GURPS Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games
My DreamWidth [Just GURPS News]
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:07 PM   #3
Refplace
 
Refplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Yukon, OK
Default Re: Striking ST and Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan506 View Post
NOTE: Not sure if this really should be in GURPS, because it's about Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Swashbucklers, which is really GURPS DF...but it seems appropriate here. My apologies if it should be elsewhere.
This isthe right forum, the other is for the boxed set and aimed for simpler rules. Under the Hood stuff is buried there but considered more a fine meal here :)
__________________
Looking for group in my area
My GURPS official contributions Buying them lets us know you want more!
My GURPS fan contribution and blog:
REFPLace GURPS Landing Page
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
InexplicableVic
 
InexplicableVic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Default Re: Striking ST and Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Just because buccaneers already have ST 13 vs. all the other swashbuckler variants' ST 10-11. You'll note that ST + maximum Striking ST = 13 on all the templates in the book. The idea is to keep swashbucklers in the realm of "finesse fighters" so they remain distinct from "power fighters" like knights and barbarians.
Ah, ok, I suspected that might have been the case and that it was a deliberate design choice, but wasn't sure. That clarification confirms what I originally thought, but I wanted to make sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Nothing keeps a buccaneer from having Springing Attack. All swashbuckler subtypes can have all the power-ups in Chapter 2; only the basic power-ups get shuffled a little. The specific prerequisite of Springing Attack is "Trained by a Master or Weapon Master," and buccaneers start with Weapon Master.
I also see that I (embarrassingly) didn't read carefully enough and misread Springing Attack--it is built with Striking ST 2, with a 10% discount because it takes extra time, plus the Giant Step Option, to make it a 10 point advantage, but doesn't require Striking ST 2.
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Striking ST and Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Just because buccaneers already have ST 13 vs. all the other swashbuckler variants' ST 10-11. You'll note that ST + maximum Striking ST = 13 on all the templates in the book. The idea is to keep swashbucklers in the realm of "finesse fighters" so they remain distinct from "power fighters" like knights and barbarians.
Fortunately, half-ogres exist to fix this problem :)
__________________
My GURPS site and Blog.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 11:09 AM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor
 
Kromm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Default Re: Striking ST and Templates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Fortunately, half-ogres exist to fix this problem :)
For sure. Half-ogre buccaneers seem right, somehow.
__________________
Sean "Dr. Kromm" Punch <kromm@sjgames.com>
GURPS Line Editor, Steve Jackson Games
My DreamWidth [Just GURPS News]
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
buccaneer, denizens, design, striking st, swashbuckler

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.