Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #21
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Default Re: Chi Power: What can and can't it do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Kind of; you can also become very light so that you glide on the wind with clothes or can leap from leaf to leaf or even cloud to cloud.

Here's a video example form CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccmava-4KnY
An extreme movie, in that regard. I'd be much more comfortable with chi being able to have one or maybe two levels of Super Jump, e.g. as depicted in the Star Wars trilogy.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #22
the_seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
An extreme movie, in that regard.
Ang Lee's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon [2000] is actually rather restrained in its depiction of qinggong compared to most wuxia movies and TV series since Tsui Hark's Zu: Warriors from the Magic Mountain [1983]. Major characters routinely give gravity lip service at best. Sometimes I suspect the only thing that stops them from flying everywhere they go is a desire to avoid ostentation. "Flight (Chi, -10%; Costs Fatigue, -5%) [34]" would be legitimate for PCs in a "full on" wuxia campaign calibrated to the power level found in contemporary wuxia TV series. Very powerful characters might even have "Flight (Chi, -10%) [36]" with no Fatigue cost.

I think an important question that has so far been unasked in this thread is "will this be a wuxia campaign or a more generic fantasy campaign that happens to have wuxia elements in the mix?" Wuxia has a definite "look" and "feel" to it. The more you let Chi do in your campaign via Cinematic Skills, Imbuements, and Advantages, the more of that look/feel the campaign will have. This is true regardless of relative power level; many weak inexpensive Chi abilities will color the campaign as much or even more than a few powerful expensive ones.

I recommend watching contemporary wuxia TV series for inspiration. There are many posted to YouTube with Mandarin audio and English subtitles. If anyone is interested, I'll point you at my own YouTube channel. I maintain several playlists.

Tim Harris
The Seeker
Time Lord

Saving the universe one planet at a time. Occasionally from my own mistakes. Oops.

Last edited by the_seeker; 10-25-2015 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Spelling Correction
the_seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:11 PM   #23
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
An extreme movie, in that regard. I'd be much more comfortable with chi being able to have one or maybe two levels of Super Jump, e.g. as depicted in the Star Wars trilogy.
The way Yoda not-extremely lifts an X-Wing fighter out of the swamp?

It's more a question of budget, but there are many films with people lightly running over water, or skipping over the tops of parasols.

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4BvCC28SaU (mostly superjump style, but note the upside-down arch run at the beginning)

HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNgDtwHreZM

HERO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGq6FXcpxtY

KUNG FU HUSTLE https://youtu.be/DQrR4BQ6oKY?t=238 (seriously extreme)

KUNG FU ROMANCE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb64AjF5708

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:29 PM   #24
Otaku

I know this gets really annoying, but I've gotten a bit confused over something so I've got to do a big, stinky "quote chain" to make sure I haven't gotten something wrong in it. I actually did get lost in a quote chain a day or two ago on a Pokémon message board so again, I apologize for the inconvenience to others but I need the help. ^^'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
The short answer is that since it isn't real, it can do whatever the GM likes. But I'm asking for your sense of chi. What sort of abilities feel like they should fall under chi and what abilities should generally be impossible with chi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
What kind of setting matters for me; the more "down to earth" it is, the less I allow chi to do, but like many I am used to chi being little more than a plot device to justify superpowers. That being said, perhaps I am just ignorant of real* legends but I always got the impression that properly trained chi led to psi, if they were not simply two sides of the same coin.

*As in legends that predate modern pop culture surrounding chi usage, not legendary feats proven real.
Quote:
Sure, that's a worldbuilding decision. In some worlds, spectacular and blatant powers are appropriate, in others they are semi-appropriate meaning they should be rare, and in other again they are inappropriate.

But those decisions come after the process of defining what chi is and isn't.
So... I'm not sure I follow Peter Knutsen's comment.

We are talking about "world building" decisions. One part of that is the general "tone" or "reality level" of the setting: harsh realism, realistic, lightly cinematic, cinematic, full on cinematic, four color, silly or any other flavors I left out. We are also talking about fantastic elements; while quite similar, these are two different toggles... or perhaps "dials" are a better term because it isn't just "on off".

Not just chi but when we consider any real and fantastic elements, with GURPS you get to fine tune how it will operate in the setting. You can take real world principles of how the universe operates and "tweak" them if you wish... either because it is a "silly" game or because it is otherwise a realistic setting except for some reason one cannot artificially produce electricity, or springs and/or clockwork are far more efficient stores of energy than in real life or any number of similar variables. Of course when it comes to other fantastic elements like magic, there are many schools of thought on the matter and what someone considers to be how magic ought to work and what is appropriate for magical effects, others will disagree or at least find less endearing.

When deciding what chi can do, I consider the setting, both in terms of "realistic versus cinematic versus others" and what particular "flavor" of chi I want to allow. There will be a lot of overlap and some combinations don't sound like much fun to play, but they have to be eliminated from consideration nonetheless. Otherwise if we want a simple answer...

...chi can do whatever the player and GM can agree upon. Many (most?) Advantages can be tweaked until they make sense as a chi power, with chi possibly being part of a hybrid modifier if everything is "chi" to some degree: chi cosmic or chi divine for attaining a "higher state of being", chi fueled elemental powers if they could work for the setting. In some a chi based Energy blast is perfectly fine, in others it is clearly a "no no".
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chi, powers