Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2008, 09:30 AM   #1
Sense of Duty (Kittens)

Default Always Murder Disadvantage?

A common feature of fictional investigators and law enforcers is that they tend to be places where people are killing each other. How would this be represented in GURPS? As it is, I conceptualize this as a form of weirdness magnet.

Murder Magnet -15
People seem more likely to kill each other when you are around. If a person is planning to murder another he or she will do it in a time or fashion that involves you if possible. Furthermore, other characters have -5 to their Bloodlust resistance rolls within 15 yards of you.

I have a clear idea of the disadvantage, but I need some help balancing it. For some examples of characters with this trait, see Monk, Law and Order: Criminal Intent, or Walker, Texas Ranger.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:35 AM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Always Murder Disadvantage?

I'm not sure I see this as a disadvantage, particularly not one worth so many points, particularly if the character in question isn't constantly surrounded with people considering homicide. People around the character die pretty often, which is tragic in a certain sense, but it doesn't really inconvenience the character, limit his actions, or compel him to do anything at all about it.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #3
RyanW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sense of Duty (Kittens)
For some examples of characters with this trait, see Monk, Law and Order: Criminal Intent, or Walker, Texas Ranger.
Jessica Fletcher is the patron saint of this condition.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company
I'm not sure I see this as a disadvantage, particularly not one worth so many points, particularly if the character in question isn't constantly surrounded with people considering homicide. People around the character die pretty often, which is tragic in a certain sense, but it doesn't really inconvenience the character, limit his actions, or compel him to do anything at all about it.
Within the settings that inspire the idea, I'd have to agree... it would just be considered a feature. In RL, or in otherwise normal game settings, I'd say equating it to WM wasn't far off the mark. Once those around you start to associate you with the murders, all sorts of social problems should start to show up.

I'd suggest a more general Crime Magnet.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:51 AM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
In RL, or in otherwise normal game settings, I'd say equating it to WM wasn't far off the mark. Once those around you start to associate you with the murders, all sorts of social problems should start to show up.
In which case, I'd probably go with a Reputation (people around the character die like flies) which more directly reflects the impact on the character from attracting murderers. From a game-mechanical point of view, people dying is a special effect.

Now, if the disad caused murderers to try to kill the PC, that would be serious points.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

It's a Divine Curse/Destiny, plain and simple. It's probably about as bad as bringing the message of defeat or being late with a message that could have ensured victory, but it's cyclic instead of being one-time. 5-10 points maybe, but not 15.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
In which case, I'd probably go with a Reputation (people around the character die like flies) which more directly reflects the impact on the character from attracting murderers. From a game-mechanical point of view, people dying is a special effect.

Now, if the disad caused murderers to try to kill the PC, that would be serious points.
A Reputation-like feature would be part of it, sure... just like the reaction modifier built into WM. I really don't see a reason to not consider the proposal as a special variation on that disad. People trying to kill you would just be Enemies, right?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
People trying to kill you would just be Enemies, right?
A particular person or group of people trying to kill you would be Enemies. Random people suddenly deciding to try to kill you is something of a different character, though certainly close to Enemies. Come to think of it, it probably is Enemy with some enhancements to indicate that there are always new ones and you can never be sure who they are and where they'll be coming from.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #9
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW
Jessica Fletcher is the patron saint of this condition.
Nah, she's just a homicidal maniac with a knack for getting others to confess to her crimes.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
A particular person or group of people trying to kill you would be Enemies. Random people suddenly deciding to try to kill you is something of a different character, though certainly close to Enemies. Come to think of it, it probably is Enemy with some enhancements to indicate that there are always new ones and you can never be sure who they are and where they'll be coming from.
Unknown +50%, plus maybe one of the smaller Cosmics to make them become unknown again.