Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-25-2022, 12:49 PM   #1
kommisar

Default Confused about picking up dropped weapon while engaged

In my recent games, close battles have been decided by dropped weapons (a roll of 17 on 3d or 21,22 on 4d) and consequently some rules questions have popped up.

If I am engaged and I choose option (q) PICK UP DROPPED WEAPON it says that I "Bend over (not moving) ... and pick up and ready a weapon" (melee p. 7).

This "bending over" means that "A figure ... bending over to pick up a weapon, is considered to face rear in all six directions; it has no front", (melee p. 9).

Questions:

Does the "bending over" constitute movement?
Do I face rear in all 6 directions as soon as I choose option (q) during the movement phase?
Does this bending over last until I pick a new maneuver next turn?
When does my weapon become ready? When I choose the option during the movement phase? Or when I perform my action during the combat phase?

Can I choose some other maneuver during movement phase and then switch options to option (q) during the combat phase? In other words does not bending over during the movement phase have any effect on being able to change to option (q) during the combat phase?
Old 04-25-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
DeadParrot

Default Re: Confused about picking up dropped weapon while engaged

From ITL p 107, 1st column: "In order to change a weapon, a figure must choose an option which allows him to ready a new weapon. This will take up a turn; the new weapon will then be ready at the beginning of the next turn."

I would count picking up a weapon as a 'ready new weapon' type of option.

Under facing it mentions a figure bending over, on the ground, or crawling is facing 'rear' in all six directions except for purposes of determining where it may cast spells. A prone or kneeling wizard has normal 'front' hexes. The bending over wizard isn't specifically mentioned. But it states that spells can be cast into adjacent hexes.

On p102 list of options mentions that options happen when a figure's turn to move comes.

The turn sequence states that all Actions happen after movement. So a Movement Option that includes an attack happens over two phases. The movement during the movement phase. An attack waits until the Action phase.

I would think the 'bent over' would last until the figure's next turn to move.

I also saw where a disengaged figure can attempt to Pick up a weapon on the run for either 3 MA or a successful 3 die DX check. In either case, a successfully picked up weapon is ready the next turn. ITL p 104, 2nd column, bottom paragraph.
DeadParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:23 PM   #3
Shostak

I think that has been superceded by a section in In the Labyrinth (p. 103), which states that, in combat, if an object is plain site on the ground, picking it up is "the same as readying a weapon." That would suggest that you are not at any disadvantage while picking it up. If the GM were to decide that such a figure's front hexes are treated as sides, that would seem fair to me.

[EDIT: My above response is incorrect. ITL 106 clearly states that a figure bending over presents rear facing in all directions, offering fat to-hit bonuses to foes.]

Last edited by Shostak; 05-08-2022 at 03:53 PM. Reason: correction
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 02:53 PM   #4
Axly Suregrip

Hi Kommisar,
This has come up before and I think Henry has the most concise summary:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...46&postcount=2

Here is the whole thread on this topic:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...highlight=bend

Hi Shostak,
Sorry but I disagree that the sited text (section about grabbing small items on ITL 103) eliminates the "bend over" when picking up an item or weapon from the ground. It just says it is the same as readying a weapon. And if a weapon is on the ground, then readying it includes having to bend over.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:03 PM   #5
Axly Suregrip

Specifically, answers to your questions:
All answers are for a combatant that is engaged.

Q1) Does the "bending over" constitute movement?
A1) Yes. As per option Q, he must remain still in the hex and bend over during movement. BTW, this is why it is often better to draw a back up weapon from your belt than to bend over, even a dagger.

Q2) Do I face rear in all 6 directions as soon as I choose option (q) during the movement phase?
A2) Yes

Q3) Does this bending over last until I pick a new maneuver next turn?
A3) No. Ends at the end of the turn.

Q4) When does my weapon become ready? When I choose the option during the movement phase? Or when I perform my action during the combat phase?
A4) When you perform the action during the action/combat phase.

Q5) Can I choose some other maneuver during movement phase and then switch options to option (q) during the combat phase? In other words does not bending over during the movement phase have any effect on being able to change to option (q) during the combat phase?
A5) Normally actions are very fluid, but this is an exception. The combatant needs to have bend over during movement phase in order to pick up during actions phase.

Here is the summary from Henry. I find this plays the best of any other way I have seen:
1. Bend over at their turn to move.
2. Grab the weapon and have it in hand at their turn to act.
3. Stand up at the end of the turn.
If they don't choose to bend over during movement then they pick nothing off the ground this turn.
Old 05-07-2022, 10:07 PM   #6
Draygon

Eyyyy....what about a character with the quick draw talent? How would yall' see that play out in this situation?
Draygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 07:31 AM   #7
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draygon View Post
Eyyyy....what about a character with the quick draw talent? How would yall' see that play out in this situation?
Quick Draw is for weapons already on you. It does not apply to dropped weapons or any weapon on the ground.