Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #161
fredtheobviouspseudonym

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I am at best an ordinary Joe, but here is what I look like.
The Kromm of a Thousand Faces.
fredtheobviouspseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #162
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Once again, this issue contains support for a recently released GURPS product, this time GURPS Martial Arts: Yrth Fighting Styles.

While this is sort of in the nature of a Designer's Notes type article, that part of it takes all of one sentence for David to cover: he loves Banestorm as a setting, has played games set it in often, and has written about Ytarrian martial arts in the past. So when a Banestorm-related item showed up on the wish-list, he screamed and leaped.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #163
DouglasCole

Well, it took a while, but someone (Gef) actually wrote a review of Technical Grappling, and posted it on the GURPS Forums. Mostly this post is just spreading the word beyond the forums themselves.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:55 AM   #164
DouglasCole

This article contains the Designer's Notes for the relatively new release GURPS Martial Arts: Technical Grappling. I will likely cover this briefly; reviewing my own Designer's Notes for my own book is a bit too recursive for my tastes.

This is a relatively long article at over 5,200 words, and opens with a long quote from TV Tropes, expounding on why grappling is so very different than regular combat.

Hogwash, in short.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #165
DouglasCole

Thursday is GURPS-Day, and release day! We get more goodness today with Loadouts: Low-Tech Armor.

I had a hand in this one, as you cans see - I was listed as Lead Playtester. Interestingly enough, this title, so to speak, came last.

I was approached by Steven Marsh a while back to see if I could potentially check up on the loadouts. Sure, I thought.

Then I got the manuscript. Holy. Crap.

Over twenty different historical warrior-types, each with anywhere from just a few to nearly two dozen individual pieces of armor, each written up, sometimes a bit cryptically, using Dan Howard's Instant Armor style. All in all I think I calculated that there were something like four hundred individual pieces to validate. A lot of work went into this.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:25 AM   #166
Irenaeus

I found Takedown Sequences to really useful. Seeing how you relate Technical Grappling positions to... eh... technical grappling positions makes the rules a lot easier to relate to the narrative of a particular combat.

A minor note on the blog post (not the article), is that the picture of the ankle lock is actually Dean Lister applying a reverse heel hook, which attacks the knee.

P.S. Not a comment about the article per se, but the way you describe the triangle there gives me the impression you're doing it pretty old school. If you aren't aware of it yet, you should try the (relatively) new approach a try, where the position of the opponents arm is largely ignored in favour of obtaining an advantageous angle.

It's just an excerpt from Ryan Hall's extensive instructional on the subject, but it shows the main differences fairly well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsNtpxKVn5M
Irenaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #167
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenaeus View Post
I found Takedown Sequences to really useful. Seeing how you relate Technical Grappling positions to... eh... technical grappling positions makes the rules a lot easier to relate to the narrative of a particular combat.
Thanks! If this one is well received, there were MANY cuts, mostly starting from "first, parry a punch/kick, then . . . "

Quote:
A minor note on the blog post (not the article), is that the picture of the ankle lock is actually Dean Lister applying a reverse heel hook, which attacks the knee.
Point, but you have to grapple the foot hit location in GURPS to do it. I'll give more thought to this, since it's a neat nuance. I can grapple the hand/foot, but attack/damage either the wrist/ankle (doing certain locks) or the elbow/knee (doing many others).

Quote:
P.S. Not a comment about the article per se, but the way you describe the triangle there gives me the impression you're doing it pretty old school. If you aren't aware of it yet, you should try the (relatively) new approach a try, where the position of the opponents arm is largely ignored in favour of obtaining an advantageous angle.

It's just an excerpt from Ryan Hall's extensive instructional on the subject, but it shows the main differences fairly well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsNtpxKVn5M
Thanks. I'll look it up.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 12-06-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #168
DouglasCole

Here's what's potentially going on with the blog over the next, um, whatever. 
Old 12-08-2013, 12:01 PM   #169
DouglasCole

A forum post reminded me of something I'd wished I'd thought of when writing TG, but there we go. As most anyone who has roughhoused knows, it's possible to hurt yourself if someone throws you to the ground, executing what GURPS would call a Takedown, and what Technical Grappling calls Force Posture Change (though admittedly takedown is more evocative).

What might some rules for damaging takedowns look like? I ponder.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #170
Irenaeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Point, but you have to grapple the foot hit location in GURPS to do it. I'll give more thought to this, since it's a neat nuance. I can grapple the hand/foot, but attack/damage either the wrist/ankle (doing certain locks) or the elbow/knee (doing many others).
Yeah, kimura/Armbar, Heel Hook/Straight ankle lock, both dual threats working like this. I was really just nitpicking, but now I've been thinking about this since you wrote it. As you said: neat nuance.

Good stuff on the takedowns.
Irenaeus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb