Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-19-2013, 04:53 AM   #1
neyestevao

Default Single-Minded and Autohypnosis with Alchemy

Hi everyone!

I'm making an alchemist character and looked for some topics here to help me, but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

My question is: Can I use the advantage "Single-minded" with alchemy, even if it takes at least one week to make a simple potion? The description of it is that you "(...) get +3 to success rolls for any lengthy mental task you concentrate on to the exclusion of other activities (...)." And alchemy is a really lenghty mental task, I think.

Also, can I use cumulatively the skill "autohypnosis", that can provide a +2 bonus at the same conditions?

Obviously the character will be useless in any other activities other than eating and sleeping, but I think that using these two "habilities" (and if you can be at a calm and isolated place) you could do some great job as an alchemist.

Is this right?

Thanks in advance for your attention.

p.s.: I have "English (Accented) (4)" so I'm sorry if there are some mistakes :p

Last edited by neyestevao; 04-19-2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: changed usefull for useless
neyestevao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #2
fifiste

Default Re: Single-Minded and Autohypnosis with Alchemy

I see no problem with that ... if you readily accept the downside of the character being really useLESS in other fields at these weeks.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
the_matrix_walker

Single Minded is iffy here... the process of alchemy is both complex and arguably not a purely mental pursuit. This sounds like a GM call really.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #4
the_matrix_walker

I messaged Kromm on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker
I saw an interesting question on the board. I responded it looked like a GM call to me, but thought I'd ask.

Is Single Minded Alchemy's buddy, or is Alchemy too complex / not purely mental enough?
Given that "inventing" and "magic" are singled out for potential prohibition, and alchemy has large elements of both, I'd say the bonus doesn't apply here. Alchemy takes days to produce anything . . . I guess if the alchemist had Doesn't Sleep, I'd let it pass, but eating and sleeping preclude being focused all the time.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
I messaged Kromm on this one
Okay, I totally get the invention/magic/alchemy aspect. But sleep? If some Long Task allows having sleep/food/etc. breaks, then what's wrong about only being focused while performing said Long Task? It's not like you're using the bonus in your sleep.
Old 04-19-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Single-Minded applies when you can do the task in one sitting. If the task is broken up into parts, then by definition you aren't focused on it without interruption, and the advantage does nothing. It's meant to give a bonus to tasks that are long relative to combat (like surgery and disarming traps), not to things that take days or more! Note in particular that the advantage says "lengthy mental task" and not "Long Task (p. B346)."
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Bruno

If your character Doesn't Sleep and Doesn't Eat you might be able to keep babysitting those potions "in one sitting"... But the potions don't need that much fussing with or mere mortals wouldn't be able to make them; as a GM I'd be tempted to call that much like continually fiddling around with a sauce or stew when it really should just be simmering quietly - ie, inviting the kind of over-spicing/salting/ingredienting disaster that happens nearly every time I cook >.>
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #8
kirbwarrior

Is it more of an issue of time than balance? In one setting I am GMing, Alchemy works as is, except replacing 'weeks' with 'days' in most potions, and potion making isn't an all day thing (potions that require 1 'day' more require '2-6 hours' depending on the exact potion). Would those two apply here?
kirbwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

For me, at least, it's completely an issue of time – I don't buy that someone can stay focused on anything uninterrupted for days, weeks, or longer. Minutes and hours work for me, though. As for balance, that's inherent in the time to make elixirs, not in what advantages help. Of course, what advantages help is the sort of thing someone should consider when shifting the time (and cost) for potions.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Produces interesting choices between Autohypnosis and Single-Minded:

1 hour: ideal; use both.
2 hours+: use Single-Minded, because its +3 is better than the +2 from Autohypnosis (which requires hourly breaks for re-establishing trance).
more than one sitting: get back to Autohypnosis, as it provides +2.

Tags
alchemy, autohypnosis, single-minded