Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #291
davester65

Default Re: GURPS Spaceships Design Spreadsheet

Hi,
Just pinging to keep this thread near the top in a Spaceships search.
davester65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:21 AM   #292
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by davester65 View Post
Hi,
Just pinging to keep this thread near the top in a Spaceships search.
<Moderator>
Please do not bump threads without adding something useful.
</Moderator>
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #293
panton41

I'm trying to build a Millennium Falcon clone and ran into a small problem. I gave it a Forward Secondary Weapons Battery and a Center Secondary Weapons Battery. The forward one has a missile launcher and the rest of the space is cargo. The center one has turreted, rapid fire particle beams and the rest is cargo. The problem is the Cargo Bay entries pop up an error. In the mean time I'm going to use Tertiary Batteries in Forward section, but it looks like a minor bug.

Edit: Apparently it only gives an error when all of the possible mount locations are used, so if I choose 2 weapons and 8 cargo holds on each mount it errors, but if I put 7 cargo holds on one of those locations it's ok.

Edit 2: I think there's a bug in how weapon mount/cargo hold spaces are calculated. Putting in 7 cargo holds says 5 tons of steerage, while 1 cargo hold says 35 tons.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros

Last edited by panton41; 02-18-2012 at 07:00 PM.
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #294
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

The Weapons Bay Steerage Cargo Hold represents all cargo holds in all weapon bays. Don't enter a quantity or a location, just the "Cargo Hold" entry; at this point I don't remember why I set it up that way.

EDIT: Already reported the next message as spam. 4 Minutes, not bad...
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 02-18-2012 at 09:13 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #295
DemiBenson

I grabbed the newest versions over the weekend. Sadly, the excel versions don't work on my mac. But the OO ones work pretty well. The latest version looks great Eric!

I have three small feature requests:
  1. Troop Strength doesn't seem to work all the time. I have a OO one I could show you with. Also, where it does work, I think the calculation isn't quite right.
  2. Could we get the Crush Depth value all the time? Even without a water propulsion system, some ships (reactionless drive ones) can still cruise underwater. Or even just designing an underwater base. And is it supposed to be in feet or yards?
  3. In the list of footnotes under the main grid, could they be listed one to a line? That might make it easier to read.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #296
ericbsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectropy View Post
Troop Strength doesn't seem to work all the time. I have a OO one I could show you with. Also, where it does work, I think the calculation isn't quite right.
I'll definitely need examples, both of what Troop Strength the sheet is giving and what you think it should be. I know I ran quite a few test calculations when I set up TS, but there's certainly room for mistakes there.

Quote:
Could we get the Crush Depth value all the time? Even without a water propulsion system, some ships (reactionless drive ones) can still cruise underwater. Or even just designing an underwater base.
That may be doable. Not sure when I'll look at it, but it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Quote:
And is it supposed to be in feet or yards?
Feet. There has been a lot of discussion of Crush depth, as there was significant errata for it.

Quote:
In the list of footnotes under the main grid, could they be listed one to a line? That might make it easier to read.
Not really. There's not enough room on the sheet, the way it's set up, to pull that off. Maybe if I ever get around to working on version 2 again, but I kind of dropped the ball on that and haven't gotten back to it in a long while.
Kaboom-baya.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #297
ericbsmith

Version 1.40c
-Fixed bug where Troop Strength is incorrectly calculated for non-power using weapons (Missile Launchers, Conventional Guns, etc.).
-For Mass Combat, Added Class notes and Optional Features
-Added checkbox to turn off Troop Strength calculation

Previous revisions:
v1.39
v1.38
v1.37b
v1.36a
v1.35
v1.34
v1.33
v1.32a
v1.32
v1.31
v1.30
v1.29
v1.28
v1.27
v1.26
v1.25a
v1.25
v1.24
v1.23
v1.21 & 1.22
v1.20
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 05-28-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #298
vierasmarius

Looks great! I'm a big fan of the Mass Combat in Space rules, though I use a slight variation which tries to scale more "realistically".
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #299
mearrin69

Just downloaded the latest version and can't recall if I've said so before so...thanks for your work on this! It has been very helpful for my Star Trek game.
M
mearrin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:25 PM   #300
ericbsmith

Version 2.00 Beta 1
This version represents a considerable overhaul of the spreadsheet. One of the primary goals of this overhaul was to make it feasible to incorporate Smaller SM Systems and Reconfigurable Systems. Other goals were to redesign the GUI streamlining the Design Table to do away with the Vertical Scrolling. A side effect of this was to eliminate the second ship.

Smaller SM and Reconfigurable Systems are only available in two- and three- unit systems. So you can have Half-Sized Systems, SM-1 Systems, double-Reconfigurable Systems and triple-Reconfigurable systems. I have no plans to expand beyond this, as that would just about triple the size and complexity of the sheet for very little gain.

In order to use Smaller SM Systems and Reconfigurable Systems the collapsing/expansion of hidden rows has become a necessity, which also makes Macros a necessity.
As with the previous version, the two Excel versions use an automated Core Macro which will adjust the hidden rows when the sheet has been changed and showing those rows is necessary. There is still a checkbox to disable the Core Macro, and a new button to Refresh Rows which you can use to show those hidden rows as needed.
New in this version of the OpenOffice sheet the Refresh Rows button now has a Macro assigned to it that will show/hide the hidden rows as well. You will need to use it any time you add (or remove) a Smaller SM/Reconfigurable system.

Macros and Security
Excel 2000, Excel 2007, and OpenOffice all have different methods of handling Macro security. You will need to adjust these settings in order to properly use the Macros:

Excel 2000
When you first open the sheet a Security Warning will pop up; click the "Always trust macros from this source." checkbox then the Enable Macros button.
You can later remove or adjust the settings by going to:
Tools -> Macros -> Security -> Trusted Sources (tab)

Excel 2007
Office Button (upper left corner) -> Excel Options -> Trust Center (left pane) -> Trust Center Settings (right pane button) -> Trusted Locations (left pane) -> Add new location... (right pane button)
Add the folder in which you've saved the Spreadsheet to the Trusted Locations.

OpenOffice
Tools -> Options -> OpenOffice.org (left pane menu section) -> Security (menu sub-section) -> Macro Security (Button) -> Trusted Sources (Tab)
In the bottom section click Add... and add the folder in which you've saved the Spreadsheet to the Trusted Locations.

This sheet was a branch off of Version 1.26. Many of the changes and corrections I've made since then had to be reincorporated into this sheet. I'm considering this a Beta release because of the large number of things that could have been messed up or that I could have forgotten to hook up along the way. I've now reached a point where I can't see any obvious bugs, so I'm releasing the beta to let you guys find them for me :-)

Excel 2000
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.zip (1.86MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2.7z (771KB)

Excel 2007
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.zip (2.30MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-2007.7z (2.23MB)

OpenOffice 3.3.0
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.zip (1.61MB)
http://gurpsland.no-ip.org/zip/SpaceshipsV2-Ooo.7z (1.37MB)
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 03-21-2012 at 04:22 PM.

Tags
design, game aids, gurpsland, program, sheet, spaceships, spreadsheet