Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2022, 10:57 PM   #31
tbone

Default Re: Sharp Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
As a combat weapon call it small knife with a fine blade if a good one, but I'd increase the chance of breaking since these blades are not suited for combat stresses.
Sounds good to me.

To help build weapons like that, I'd welcome a breakdown of the Fine/Very Fine weapon mods into more detailed Robust/Very Robust (extra resistance to breakage) and Sharp/Very Sharp (extra edged damage).

You could combine these for weapons that mirror Fine/Very Fine. Or mix and match them for weapons that are extra robust but not particularly sharp, or extra sharp but not particularly robust.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)

Last edited by tbone; 01-22-2022 at 12:27 AM.
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:23 AM   #32
whswhs

The rules for obsidian weapons work somewhat like that.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:30 AM   #33
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Sounds good to me.

To help build weapons like that, I'd welcome a breakdown of the Fine/Very Fine weapon mods into more detailed Robust/Very Robust (extra resistance to breakage) and Sharp/Very Sharp (extra edged damage).

You could combine these for weapons that mirror Fine/Very Fine. Or mix and match them for weapons that are extra robust but not particularly sharp, or extra sharp but not particularly robust.
..... v.Nice!
Old 01-22-2022, 01:09 PM   #34
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
Sounds good to me.

I don't supposed you read my linked article? That plus The Broken Blade is the divide you're looking for, though doing them both over again, I'd search for ways of making it all much, much simpler. Edge quality that degrades the HT of the blade both for breaking and dulling. that sort of thing.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 07:47 PM   #35
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I don't supposed you read my linked article? That plus The Broken Blade is the divide you're looking for, though doing them both over again, I'd search for ways of making it all much, much simpler. Edge quality that degrades the HT of the blade both for breaking and dulling. that sort of thing.
I'm not seeing what I have in mind in the GB article, but The Broken Blade? Alas, there are depths of Pyramid I haven't yet plumbed, and that article is one of them.

I already went and jotted down the following breakdown as an idea to test out later:

Quote:
Breaking down Fine and Very Fine into separate components for robustness and sharpness:

Robust: -1 breakage. +1 CF
Very Robust: -2 breakage. +4 CF
Sharp: +1 damage. +1 CF (impaling weapons), +2 CF (fencing weapons/swords), or +8 CF (other cutting weapons)
Very Sharp: +2 damage. +15 CF (fencing weapons/swords)

This breakdown replicates Fine/Very Fine in many cases, but a robust crushing weapon will cost only +1 CF, not the +2 CF of Fine. And Very Robust seems viable for any weapon (by RAW it's only available for fencing weapons and swords as a part of Very Fine).
Now I can go look up The Broken Blade, and probably discover that it said the same and more, many years ago. : )

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:40 AM   #36
Jeminai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
What is a large fish in this context? Cod, haddock, salmon, or larger? Only asking because there are numerous people in this country that can fillet a fish very quickly. My mother can do it still and she's in her 70s, my aunt can and she's a bit younger. It's a skill, the tool helps. But I've seen them do it pretty quickly with not very good knives.
A large fish in the video I saw was a tuna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o4DN-5ajT4
Old 10-05-2022, 08:41 AM   #37
Jeminai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
What is a large fish in this context? Cod, haddock, salmon, or larger? Only asking because there are numerous people in this country that can fillet a fish very quickly. My mother can do it still and she's in her 70s, my aunt can and she's a bit younger. It's a skill, the tool helps. But I've seen them do it pretty quickly with not very good knives.
A large fish in the video I saw was a 600 pound blue fin tuna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1o4DN-5ajT4
Old 10-05-2022, 05:45 PM   #38
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I saw my grandfather butcher a dear with a stone he knapped on the spot. Cleaned it up in about 20 minutes with bones so clean they looked boiled.
Knowing how the animal is put together is enormously helpful when cleaning, dressing, and butchering them.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote