Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #11
Thökk

Default Re: How'd you do "Brings a good fortune" as power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Affliction (HT; Advantage, Luck, +150%; Extended Duration, Permanent, Until used to avoid a critical failure, +150%; Malediction 1, +100%) [50] would work, though it might be pricey.
How does it work?
Thökk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:00 PM   #12
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thökk View Post
How does it work?
As written it gives the target basic Luck (1 roll per hour of game time) until they use it to avoid a Critical Failure (it stays if they use it to avoid a normal Failure). As per usual Affliction rules, to grant the Luck you have to win a Quick Contest of your Will against their HT and you have -1 per yard distance (due to Malediction 1).
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:23 PM   #13
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
As written it gives the target basic Luck (1 roll per hour of game time) until they use it to avoid a Critical Failure (it stays if they use it to avoid a normal Failure). As per usual Affliction rules, to grant the Luck you have to win a Quick Contest of your Will against their HT and you have -1 per yard distance (due to Malediction 1).
If you're using the optional rule for Beneficial Afflictions with Malediction on Powers p40, your target can waive resistance, giving you an unopposed Will roll minus range penalty.
Gold & Appel Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #14
Thökk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedKagouti View Post
Oh. Does that mean, that once they avoid a Critical Failure, it stops working for that character forever?

And how would you build lucky events, that outside of character's control or knowledge? Serendipity-based/Independent Income aspect of luck. Things, that are outside of player control. A type of luck, that adds "lucky events", rather than just giving rerolls.
Old 02-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #15
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Oh. Does that mean, that once they avoid a Critical Failure, it stops working for that character forever?
Forever until you Afflict them again.

Quote:
And how would you build lucky events, that outside of character's control or knowledge? Serendipity-based/Independent Income aspect of luck. Things, that are outside of player control. A type of luck, that adds "lucky events", rather than just giving rerolls.
You can build it as an Affliction of Serendipity instead of Luck, with a different end condition (or no end condition for +300%). Independent Income is a Social trait, which normally can't be Afflicted, so for that you need to add Cosmic +50% (breaks the rules) and GM permission.
Gold & Appel Inc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:04 PM   #16
Donny Brook

Quote:
So, I've been thinking of a playable supernatural character, who has a feature of bringing a good fortune/luck to others. ...

TL;DR: I want build a character with good luck granting aura, but I don't feel like Luck/Serendipity advantages are more suited to the characters, that are in control of their luck, rather than good fortune falling onto them unpredictably.
I know it's not exactly what you are describing, but you might find it useful to look at the Path of Luck in GURPS Thaumatology Path/Book magic. Several interesting fortune effects are described there.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 12:12 PM   #17
Thökk

N.B. Haven't found rules or prohibitions regarding thread necro, especially responding to own thread. Mind you it was always more of a mental excersize questio rather than a practical necessity.

I thought recently, that easiest way to show some measure of "good fortune" could be represented by independent income, source unspecified, that may be represented in useful materials, items, services rendered and even general quality of life.

Depending on the strength and scope of fortune it might be sudden, unexpected allies, good impressions, reputations. It can mitigate bad circumstances ans smooth the foul tempers. "Good fortune" in my understanding doesn't negate or nullify unfornutate events, because there needs to be a baseline. What good fortune does that's leading to the more favourable outcomes in unwelcome situation or offsetting the bad events with the good good ones and everything is fine, it just leads to prosperity, harnony and better moods.

So, "good fortune" would consist of a chassis, like passive income and a modular ability with some measure of unpredictability. Oh, wait I talked about Independent Income with Gold & Appel Inc. already. Oh, well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
I know it's not exactly what you are describing, but you might find it useful to look at the Path of Luck in GURPS Thaumatology Path/Book magic. Several interesting fortune effects are described there.
Thanks, I'd look it up!
Old 01-22-2022, 03:19 PM   #18
David Johnston2

Affliction. Luck. No Conscious Control
Perk: Lucky Charm: Once per hour someone near you has a minor bit of good fortune. Can be leveled to have it happen more frequently.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:13 AM   #19
Thökk

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Affliction. Luck. No Conscious Control
Perk: Lucky Charm: Once per hour someone near you has a minor bit of good fortune. Can be leveled to have it happen more frequently.
Yeah, I thought about it being a bag of luck-themed perks. Definitely through beneficial affliction, as others pointed.

The duration should be limited by some recurring event (ritual of some sort, for instance) or uninterrupted being around the bringer of good fortune.

Last edited by Thökk; 01-23-2022 at 01:17 AM.