Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-20-2022, 10:28 PM   #11
Plane

Default Re: why is an Attack usable as a Ready when it comes to chairs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
I think this is the real answer here. I can easily imagine someone grabbing a chair or a stool well enough to beat someone with it in a second.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
I feel like I've never lifted furniture that required orientation before I could hit someone with it.
I think what they mean is when you first pick up a chair it's like this and then the 2nd ready you're holding it like this

You could still 'hit' someone with the chair using that 1st grip but I think instead of a "2H axe-mace" where you get to use swing damage, it's be more like the "thrust crushing" damage which you get by "pummeling" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
The whole "reorient the chair" Ready seems a bit redundant. If you're standing you're naturally going to pick up a chair by its back, which lets you Ready it for a 2-handed swing on your next turn.
isn't reorienting basically what readying is?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 10:55 PM   #12
Michael Thayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I think what they mean is when you first pick up a chair it's like this and then the 2nd ready you're holding it like this
Just did some reality testing and I think picking up the chair by the back in the first place is both easier and more intuitive than picking it up by the seat and then shifting your grip to the back. OTOH, it took a bit of practice to smoothly go from "chair on the ground" to "chair's legs pointing in the air" in one motion. OTOOH that's partly because I wanted to be careful not to hit the ceiling of my apartment and many bars have high ceilings where that isn't an issue.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:26 PM   #13
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
Just did some reality testing and I think picking up the chair by the back in the first place is both easier and more intuitive than picking it up by the seat and then shifting your grip to the back.
I instinctively did the same thing and had the same thought. The RAW seem a bit odd. The only reason you wouldn't pick up a chair by the back and then hoist it so it's "legs forward" is better leverage if you're trying to lift a heavy chair or intend to use it as a shield.
Pursuivant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 08:47 AM   #14
Willy

Not from my personal experience, but I used to know some service personal in really rough places like biker bars and such.

From what they told me, next to nobody makes attacking with a chair an two step ( turns ) movement. In fact you have more power if you grip the chair on the ground, while standing fact to the target, and grap the chair left or right from you, even a little behing you is working fine, and hit the target, on swift move for full damage of the axe mace variant.

In fact you have more power behind it, because by smashing it down from above your head you use just your arms and upper body muscles - and are open like a barn door for conter strikes while raising the chair( abd you have no hands free to do anything ).

In the way I described first you also twist your body much like a discus trower or shot-putter. the use this technique because you can use more muscles in the motion, in fact from experience in sports I would give it a +1 to ST for this motion when calculating damage.
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:49 AM   #15
kenclary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
In fact you have more power behind it, because by smashing it down from above your head you use just your arms and upper body muscles - and are open like a barn door for conter strikes while raising the chair( abd you have no hands free to do anything ).

In the way I described first you also twist your body much like a discus trower or shot-putter. the use this technique because you can use more muscles in the motion, in fact from experience in sports I would give it a +1 to ST for this motion when calculating damage.
In most instances, it's best to just model all that as All Out Attack.
kenclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 02:55 AM   #16
Plane

Quote:
From what they told me, next to nobody makes attacking with a chair an two step ( turns ) movement.
It's not a 2-turn attack, it's 2 turns to get the chair up high enough held properly to do a swing attack.

If you don't want to do a swing-crushing attack you can probably do thrust-crushing pummeling tack with just one ready.

Quote:
In fact you have more power if you grip the chair on the ground, while standing fact to the target, and grap the chair left or right from you
I don't know what you mean by this last part.

Quote:
you have more power behind it, because by smashing it down from above your head you use just your arms and upper body muscles
You are also harnessing the potential energy of falling (via gravity) created by lifting the chair in the first place.

Plus you can also choose to squat while doing a downward strike to increase the arc and get better pulling leverage.

Quote:
In the way I described first you also twist your body much like a discus trower or shot-putter. the use this technique because you can use more muscles in the motion
power output isn't about total muscle count though

let's take a look at lumberjacks doing overhead chops into a stump vs sideways chops into the side of a tree

does anyone really think those sideways-chops actually generate more power than a straight downward chop?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extra attack, extra ready