Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
jdelcarp89

Default building treasure and door decks

So I have the core game apocalypse, and bought zombies 2 (expansion) and cthulhu 3 and 4. So over all I have 400 cards. I want to combine them but i'm not sure if there should be any specific build for the door cars. (I'm not too picky about the treasure cards, because all treasure is pretty helpful).

Should there be a set number of classes, mojos, powers, monsters, disasters, curses, madnesses, and oneshot items, or should I just be silly and use all the cards when I play? The reason I ask is because I don't want to have so many cards that can boost my munchkins making the game to easy, but I also don't want to have too few of cards making it tedious to level.
thanks!
jdelcarp89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
cartmanbeck

Default Re: building treasure and door decks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdelcarp89 View Post
So I have the core game apocalypse, and bought zombies 2 (expansion) and cthulhu 3 and 4. So over all I have 400 cards. I want to combine them but i'm not sure if there should be any specific build for the door cars. (I'm not too picky about the treasure cards, because all treasure is pretty helpful).

Should there be a set number of classes, mojos, powers, monsters, disasters, curses, madnesses, and oneshot items, or should I just be silly and use all the cards when I play? The reason I ask is because I don't want to have so many cards that can boost my munchkins making the game to easy, but I also don't want to have too few of cards making it tedious to level.
thanks!
You got the core Apocalypse, but only expansions for zombies and cthulu? Honestly you're not going to have enough copies of the classes and mojos and powers from those expansions without the base sets... I'd strongly suggest you get both of those other base sets and then just mix everything and go from there.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
jdelcarp89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanbeck View Post
You got the core Apocalypse, but only expansions for zombies and cthulu? Honestly you're not going to have enough copies of the classes and mojos and powers from those expansions without the base sets... I'd strongly suggest you get both of those other base sets and then just mix everything and go from there.
Well my idea is to Have more class options. I have three copies of each class from cthulu, and two copies of the zombie classes. So combined with all the classes from apocalypse, there's enough variety right?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Brandonson112

Quote:
Well my idea is to Have more class options. I have three copies of each class from cthulu, and two copies of the zombie classes. So combined with all the classes from apocalypse, there's enough variety right?
But thats not really how the games are meant to be played. They are balanced when you mix sets together along with the base sets. Otherwise things start to break.
Brandonson112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
jdelcarp89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonson112 View Post
But thats not really how the games are meant to be played. They are balanced when you mix sets together along with the base sets. Otherwise things start to break.
Break how? I've included curses and madnesses and treasures and monsters from each? That way the players have a variety of classes, items, monsters and curses to use.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
Brandonson112

Quote:
Break how? I've included curses and madnesses and treasures and monsters from each? That way the players have a variety of classes, items, monsters and curses to use.
Well i mean i guess if you meticulously went into each pack and tied to balance it with even amounts of cards it might work, but I'm sure it would be more fun if you simply bought the base sets and mixed them first.

And by break I mean that some necessary card interactions would be broken because things are missing.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Mister Ed

I think where it might start to get wonky is that the BULK of the other cards that specifically reference (or are referenced by) the classes/races/etc. from the core sets are found IN the core sets. So classes/races/etc. that originated in core sets for which you are only including expansions will have fewer card interactions than either core classes/races/etc. for which you ARE including the core sets, or classes/races/etc. that originated in the expansions you are including.

That sounds really convoluted when I reread it. Does it make sense?
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
jdelcarp89

I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. I just play with friends and family so I figured this would be okay. I just wanted to mix zombies apocalypse and Cthulhu because they have an apocalyptic feel to them.

If it does not work you suggest I just by the core sets and then mix all the cards together to make massive treasure and door piles? Or is there some set mixing formula that says " hey to effectively mix two munchkin sets together you should have xyz cards in there"?
Old 05-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Brandonson112

Quote:
I guess I'll just have to see how it goes. I just play with friends and family so I figured this would be okay. I just wanted to mix zombies apocalypse and Cthulhu because they have an apocalyptic feel to them.

If it does not work you suggest I just by the core sets and then mix all the cards together to make massive treasure and door piles? Or is there some set mixing formula that says " hey to effectively mix two munchkin sets together you should have xyz cards in there"?
The Set Mixing Formula is Munchkin 7 Cheat with Both Hands.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #10
jdelcarp89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonson112 View Post
The Set Mixing Formula is Munchkin 7 Cheat with Both Hands.
I'm not sure I understand. Sorry, I'm very new to this.

Tags
building, decks, tips