Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 07-16-2022, 11:01 PM   #1
RoboAdmin
Spam Assassin

Default July 17, 2022: International Shipping Is More Expensive Than Ever

July 17, 2022: International Shipping Is More Expensive Than Ever

Read this article on the Illuminator.
RoboAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 11:48 PM   #2
Farmer

Default Re: July 17, 2022: International Shipping Is More Expensive Than Ever

Yep, if you want stuff from the US, find a forwarding service so SJG can deliver locally and you pay to get it to where ever you live (like Australia, for me). It's typically cheaper than what you'd have to be charged by SJG. Why? Because the companies doing that are engaged in it as their primary business and obtain economies of scale, efficiencies of experience, and that's even with them making their margin.

It'd be great if you didn't need to do it, but that's the answer.
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 01:24 AM   #3
ColinK

It must be tempting to start trying a game design that is intended to be sold as a set of digital files that the customer will print for themselves, maybe even 3dprint for themselves.

Has anybody tried something like that as a deliberate strategy for addressing the many frustrations of international sales?

Good luck with your travails.
ColinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:16 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinK View Post
It must be tempting to start trying a game design that is intended to be sold as a set of digital files that the customer will print for themselves, maybe even 3dprint for themselves.

There are many print-n-play games out there, some quite impressive in design.

Print-on-demand books and cards are more common than ever. Print-on-demand miniatures, while not exactly uncommon, are still quite expensive if you order from somewhere like Shapeways.

We're not there yet, but I can see a future where completely downloadable/DIY games with amazing production values are a thing.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 12:10 PM   #5
SID

That’s a shame, is this definitive? It’s always a plus when sellers make their products globally available, including their crowdfunded projects. Shipping costs and taxes aren’t under your control, right? I think a big disclaimer would be more than enough. I guess the scenario won’t change much in the future, and missing your products because of living overseas would be quite a shame.

It’s like buying from eBay or amazon, the buyer must shoulder shipping expenses and customs obligations (if any), that’s the normal thing. Are you removing that option because people complain against you, even if this isn’t your fault?

I don’t think this is the situation, but regarding taxes, sellers often issue inadequate invoices which increase the final costs and delivery (releasing) times. I can tell you of three critical issues:
  1. They don’t include the Harmonized System Code (HSC) of the item. Many products are exempt of taxes or customs fees, noting the right HSC for each item really helps to reduce customs fees or taxes.
  2. They include the shipping costs as part of the product’s invoice. Shipping is not part of the product; buyers need an invoice of the product alone. The whole transaction can be registered in the proof of purchase or ticket, but the invoice for customs must only include the items to import. You don't import the shipping! Since international shipping costs often equal the product’s cost, sometimes the buyer must pay higher fees because the seller is inflating the final price of the items by including the shipping in the invoice.
  3. They fail to state the currency. Yes, customs have problems when you don´t state the currency of the invoice. There’s a big difference between ¥ 1,000.00 (YEN) and $ 1,000.00 (USD). One thousand yen is about seven dollars, make sure you state the currency!
I hope this is helpful to you or the other members of this forum.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:45 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID View Post
That’s a shame, is this definitive? It’s always a plus when sellers make their products globally available, including their crowdfunded projects. Shipping costs and taxes aren’t under your control, right? I think a big disclaimer would be more than enough. I guess the scenario won’t change much in the future, and missing your products because of living overseas would be quite a shame.

It’s like buying from eBay or amazon, the buyer must shoulder shipping expenses and customs obligations (if any), that’s the normal thing. Are you removing that option because people complain against you, even if this isn’t your fault?
The difference between ebay/amazon and KS is on ebay and amazon you are paying what the shipping costs are now and the seller is shipping the order now. On KS you are paying today's prices for shipping but the order won't ship out for 8-12 months after you pay. International shipping costs fluctuate frequently and without notice. When you are quoted $30 and a backer pays that $30 but later when you are able to finally ship the price is $45, what can you do? Demand more from the backer or eat the difference? Way over estimate the cost so you don't lose any money? Either way you lose more customers and fans. As a company, you can't afford to lose $10-$15 per package. As volatile as international shipping is now, it really is best to back out of it until it calms down and settles.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote