Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-02-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Tori1332

Default Killing someone unkillable

My DM mentioned that further on the campaign there would be an immortal enemy, he wasn't very specific but when asked he said that "it would have infinite HP". Its an campaign of mages with powers based on magery, max 5, but i think we will have access to magery 4 when facing him. My character takes pride in having the strongest attack, and i would like to keep it this way, however i have no idea how to damage someone unkillable. Note that I cant have an teleporting power, nor an "eternal stun". My main magic school is Meta magic and my main attack is a sword with super luck and an affliction that gives vulnerability to the target, aside from that i have an combo of modular ability and counter spell.

If someone could help me build an power o kill this guy i would be grateful.
Tori1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #2
Agemegos

Default Re: Killing someone unkillable

Knock him out with halothane, weld him into a cage of steel reinforcing mesh, put that in a tub, and fill the tube with fast-setting concrete. When that sets, drop the lot into the sea-bottom ooze in a subduction zone. The guy will be spewed out of a volcano in a couple of hundred million years, and as crazy as a fish. But that'll be someone else's problem.

More generally: infinite hitpoints doesn't protect someone against poisoning, suffocation, drowning, or aging.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
Anthony

If the GM actually wants him to be unkillable, he's unkillable. The usual solution to unkillable targets is infinite duration disable effects, but depending on how 'eternal stun' is defined, that may also be ruled out. If he merely has infinite hit points, just use Shapeshift Other or Exchange Bodies to give him a form that no longer has infinite hit points.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:26 AM   #4
B9anders

capture - drop in volcano.
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #5
Figleaf23
Banned

Binding (Engulfing +60%, Unbreakable +40%, Permanent +300%) [10/Lvl].
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #6
Anders

Affliction ( Heart Attack, +300%).
Old 06-02-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori1332 View Post
My DM mentioned that further on the campaign there would be an immortal enemy, he wasn't very specific but when asked he said that "it would have infinite HP". Its an campaign of mages with powers based on magery, max 5, but i think we will have access to magery 4 when facing him. My character takes pride in having the strongest attack, and i would like to keep it this way, however i have no idea how to damage someone unkillable. Note that I cant have an teleporting power, nor an "eternal stun". My main magic school is Meta magic and my main attack is a sword with super luck and an affliction that gives vulnerability to the target, aside from that i have an combo of modular ability and counter spell.

If someone could help me build an power o kill this guy i would be grateful.
I know that this is almost exactly not what you're asking here, but have you considered that the GM might want you to negotiate with the guy? The intended puzzle / source of fun here may not be answering the question, "How do I kill this guy?" but instead, "How do I get what I want when, no matter what, I can't kill this guy?" My advice is: Talk to your GM and resolve any genre-expectation clash before proceeding.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
Aneirin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori1332 View Post
My DM mentioned that further on the campaign there would be an immortal enemy, he wasn't very specific but when asked he said that "it would have infinite HP".
GURPs doesn't have infinite HP.

If the GM is saying he will have infinite HP, what he has essentially said is "I do not care about balance or the rules, you are not killing this guy2 as the guy would need infinite points to build, and if he is giving him infinite HP, it sounds like he will give him what ever else he needs.

"Oh, you drowned him...yea, he has doesn't breathe. Shot him into space? Pressure tolerance. Trapped him in a concrete box at the bottom of the sea? Yeah he has Warp"

It sounds a REALLY bad way to do things (as an unkillable enemy is just not fun. If he is not meant to be fought, be a bit more subtle about it)

It may be time to have a chat with your GM regarding statting appropriate things. Something about the notion of infinite HP grates against me and seems like if the GM is going to GM by fiat, he will GM by fiat and looking for a way around it with the rules is not going to work.
Aneirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #9
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

obviously you need td to imprisom him in a dimensional bubble with no mana

then create complex rituals and seal part of the being separately in your souls acquiring power and immortality yourselves!
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
Ragabash Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneirin View Post
GURPs doesn't have infinite HP.

If the GM is saying he will have infinite HP, what he has essentially said is "I do not care about balance or the rules, you are not killing this guy2 as the guy would need infinite points to build, and if he is giving him infinite HP, it sounds like he will give him what ever else he needs.

"Oh, you drowned him...yea, he has doesn't breathe. Shot him into space? Pressure tolerance. Trapped him in a concrete box at the bottom of the sea? Yeah he has Warp"

It sounds a REALLY bad way to do things (as an unkillable enemy is just not fun. If he is not meant to be fought, be a bit more subtle about it)

It may be time to have a chat with your GM regarding statting appropriate things. Something about the notion of infinite HP grates against me and seems like if the GM is going to GM by fiat, he will GM by fiat and looking for a way around it with the rules is not going to work.
Yeah, the infinite HP thing raised an eyebrow with me too... I mean I have a thread myself about ways to get around Unkillable 3, because that's rules as written... Infinite HP isn't... so I agree that if you GM is pulling something totally not possible in any way of the rules, like "infinite HP" then there's nothing stopping him from just hand waving any thing you try to do with the rules because he's already thrown the rule book out the window.

Cleopatra: Whenever she assigned me to the switch, was that Voice, or was Raina influencing her thinking? Because, I mean, if it was Raina, she got inside my head and decided that I would screw it up.
Ragabash Moon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boss monster, building, campaign advice, help wanted, power build