Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-19-2024, 11:44 PM   #1
Greg 1

Default Online shooter for 2 without squads?

My sister likes shooters like Wolfenstein.

I thought it might be fun if we got together online and shot some stuff together. But she isn't going to want to team up with anyone else, so anything that requires a squad is out.

Suggestions?
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 07:32 AM   #2
The Colonel

Default Re: Online shooter for 2 without squads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
My sister likes shooters like Wolfenstein.

I thought it might be fun if we got together online and shot some stuff together. But she isn't going to want to team up with anyone else, so anything that requires a squad is out.

Suggestions?
...there was, IIRC, a co-op computer game called Army of Two, which sounds ideal for you, but I have no idea if it was/is available on your platform of choice.

Can you not run other games in PvE on a private server?
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM   #3
Varyon

Not much storyline involved, but the Zombies mode in the newest Call of Duty is a large PvE environment with squads of up to three, but as long as you don't have Squad Find turned on you can play either solo or with whoever you've put in your squad without any randos showing up; that's the way I play it. There will be other squads on the map, but it's purely PvE so you don't have to worry about them gunning you down (unlike the very similar DMZ mode, which is both PvE and PvP); if you get killed you can call for help and have a pretty good chance of someone showing up to revive you, so long as there's another squad (or even just a solo player - I've revived so many downed operators I've lost count, but I did get an achievement for it) in the area. If you prefer pure PvP, the Ground War mode (which is two large teams in head to head competition) puts you in individual squads, and again if you don't have Squad Find turned on you won't be matched with randos, it'll just be you and whoever you put in your squad beforehand.

I believe the newest Halo, Halo Infinite, allows for online co-op on the campaign.

Destiny II is a PvE MMO-like FPS that you can team up with just whoever you like (or play solo); like the Zombies mode above, you may run into other players, but there's no PvP outside of designated arenas and similar.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:29 AM   #4
Irish Wolf

Fallout 76 lets you set up private groups, where only the people you invite can join - my wife, her other husband, and I will frequently do that when we get fed up with some of the other randos who want to run Daily Ops but seem to think the point is to race to where the final boss will show up, without dealing with any of the other points or threats along the way. (It's really annoying to finish late, missing some rewards, because it took too long to find one of the radios, only to learn Rando was standing next to it the entire time.)

I think you can run invite-only "squads" in Fortnite - my experience in that is limited to solo play, so I can't be too certain, but I'm pretty sure you can opt to have a two-person squad there. (Gotta watch out for the four-man squads that can actually coordinate there, but fortunately from watching my wife on one, those seem to be few and far between.)

If you break the laws of God, you go to Hell.

If you break the laws of Physics, you go to Sweden and receive a Nobel Prize.
Irish Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 03:10 AM   #5
Greg 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Not much storyline involved, but the Zombies mode in the newest Call of Duty
Thank you! Do you happen to know which one that is?
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 03:59 AM   #6
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg 1 View Post
Thank you! Do you happen to know which one that is?
Modern Warfare III (2023), not to be mistaken with Modern Warfare III (2011). Yeah, I know that's a bit confusing (they rebooted the Modern Warfare series back in 2019). Also, if one of you happens to prefer console over PC, the game does have crossplay enabled by default, meaning you don't have to both be on the same type of device. Speaking of "enabled by default", I know at least MWII had the mic fully enabled, meaning any squads near you can hear you talk (and you can hear them). You may want to turn that off (if you're playing on different device types, you'll probably need to leave on the ability to talk to your squad, but if you're on the same type, you can just completely disable the mic in MWIII and communicate in a different fashion - the person I play with is also on PS5, so we just use the Party feature from there).