Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #11
Donny Brook
 
Donny Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Snoopy's basement
Default Re: What does 1 point of burn damage look like?

IDHMBWM, but I recall a section in GURPS Biotech that discusses recovery from burns. Even 1 point is somewhat complicated to recover from.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: What does 1 point of burn damage look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
IDHMBWM, but I recall a section in GURPS Biotech that discusses recovery from burns. Even 1 point is somewhat complicated to recover from.
I feel that section overstates the dangers of minor burns, and possibly a little of major ones.
Some people have survived obscene burns sans medical care. While very rare, I don't think Gurps should completely disallow such events entirely.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:19 PM   #13
Gollum
 
Gollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: France
Default Re: What does 1 point of burn damage look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
IDHMBWM, but I recall a section in GURPS Biotech that discusses recovery from burns. Even 1 point is somewhat complicated to recover from.
In Basic Set, 1 point of damage is automatically healed as soon as the character uses bandages. What is the difference in Bio-Tech, please?
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:38 PM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: What does 1 point of burn damage look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
In Basic Set, 1 point of damage is automatically healed as soon as the character uses bandages. What is the difference in Bio-Tech, please?
The difference is in how one heals burn injury points remaining after the bandages/first aid subtraction.

Also, between Bio-Tech, Martial Arts, Low Tech/LTC, and probably something else I'm missing, we really need a Injury & Medicine Compendium by now . . .
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #15
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: What does 1 point of burn damage look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Also, between Bio-Tech, Martial Arts, Low Tech/LTC, and probably something else I'm missing, we really need a Injury & Medicine Compendium by now . . .
Bio-Tech was supposed to cover all of the healing arts. But the people who wrote it had very detailed knowledge of existing advanced medicine and speculative possibilities, but not so much of herbs and leeches and arrow spoons. Low-Tech and especially LTC1 was an effort to provide suitable horrific details about injury and illness before anesthesia and antisepsis.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:18 AM   #16
Gollum
 
Gollum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: France
Default Re: What does 1 point of burn damage look like?

Thank you very much for these answers. I have to buy Bio-Tech... And yes, an Injury & medicine compendium could be a very good thing. Or, at least, a good topic for a Pyramid issue.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #17
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper
 
vicky_molokh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Kyv, Ukraine
Default Re: What does 1 point of burn damage look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Bio-Tech was supposed to cover all of the healing arts. But the people who wrote it had very detailed knowledge of existing advanced medicine and speculative possibilities, but not so much of herbs and leeches and arrow spoons. Low-Tech and especially LTC1 was an effort to provide suitable horrific details about injury and illness before anesthesia and antisepsis.
There's also the issue of MA's vitals/veins/skull/eye bleeding rules and LT's Torniquets and Blood Vessel Pressure rules being written without much, if any, thinking about one another. And the fact that neither was in Bio-Tech. In a way, Low-Tech Techniques are superior to the things available without LT, which is not a good design.
__________________
Vicky 'Molokh', GURPS FAQ and uFAQ Keeper
vicky_molokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
burning damage, phaser, real world, reality check, star trek

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.