Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 01-29-2007, 01:44 PM   #61
Corpus

Default Re: Updated / New Character Sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedwards
If you don't mind, start GCA and open the character in question. Under the Load-Out Manager window, at the bottom, which load-out is chosen in the Encumbrance Load-Out section? Also, directly to the right of the Encumbrance Load-Out section, what does its accompanying Load Weight and Enc. Level fields have listed?
Well, I was choosing the load-out by the top drop-down. Silly me. The bottom was remaining blank every time I did this. So following your instructions, I chose the load-out by the bottom drop-down and everything seemed to work very nicely.

Thank you!
Corpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:24 PM   #62
tmedwards

Here's another FlexSheet update. It's been sent to Melange for hosting on his site and is already available from Kyoya's site.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
FlexSheet, version 1.42 ChangeLog
  • Changed the Melee and Ranged Weapons blocks to use the new charminst() tag instead of minst(), per the 4.0.320 program update.

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 05:26 PM   #63
tmedwards

Here's a Phoenix update. As always, it's available from my GCA tools page.

Phoenix, version 1.12 ChangeLog
  • Added the ability to optionally print descriptive tags in most of the Social blocks, the sole exception being the Reaction Modifiers block.
Phoenix, version 1.11 ChangeLog
  • Fixed a missing variable in a few of the statistics sub-blocks.
Phoenix, version 1.10 ChangeLog
  • Major update to the options and many other parts of the sheet to make use of the new character sheet options made available by the 4.0.320 program update.
  • Added the ability to optionally print descriptive tags in most of the list-type blocks (e.g. Ads, Disads, Skills, Spells, Equipment, etc).
  • Added two new optional sections to the primary statistics block to print checkboxes for the character's hit points and fatigue points.
  • Added a new optional section to the defenses block to make use the new armor diagram functionality in GCA.
  • Addressed some rules issues chiefly pertaining to movement and encumbrance.
  • Changed the HP field in the expanded DR Table so that the values listed are the crippling breakpoints for the limbs (i.e. the number of hit points, if taken in one attack, which will cripple the limb in question). Previous to this version, the listed HP values were the thresholds for crippling rather than the actual value needed to cripple the limb.
  • Changed the Notes field in the Melee and Ranged Attacks blocks, so that it will try to wrap on overflow, rather than assuming that it would never overflow.
  • Changed the Melee and Ranged Attacks blocks to use the new charminst() tag instead of minst(), per the 4.0.320 program update.
  • Changed the entry title in the Campaign Log block, so that it will only print the entry title if either the caption or campaign date exist; if they're both blank, the empty title will not print.
  • Changed the header so that it will print "GURPS" in place of the logo image if the logo file name option is blank.
  • Fixed the last instance of referencing a trait without ensuring that the trait actually exists.
Changes which are probably of no interest to anyone save Phoenix hackers:
  • Added two new string functions: PxUCFirst(), which uppercases the first character of a string, and PxUCWords(), which uppercases the first character of every word in a string.
  • Added two new rounding functions: PxRoundUp(), which rounds away from zero, and PxRoundDown(), which rounds towards zero. PxRoundUp() examples: PxRoundUp(5) = 5, PxRoundUp(5.1) = 6, PxRoundUp(-5.1) = -6. PxRoundDown() examples: PxRoundDown(5) = 5, PxRoundDown(5.9) = 5, PxRoundDown(-5.9) = -5.
  • Added two new breakpoint functions: GURPS_BreakpointGreaterThan(), which returns the next whole integer greater than the passed value, and GURPS_BreakpointLessThan(), which returns the next whole integer less than the passed value. GURPS_BreakpointGreaterThan() examples: GURPS_BreakpointGreaterThan(4.5) = 5, GURPS_BreakpointGreaterThan(5) = 6, GURPS_BreakpointGreaterThan(5.5) = 6. GURPS_BreakpointLessThan() examples: GURPS_BreakpointLessThan(4.5) = 4, GURPS_BreakpointLessThan(5) = 4, GURPS_BreakpointLessThan(5.5) = 5.
  • Changed the prefix used to prevent namespace clashes from "Pf" to "Px". This change affected two functions: PfTextHeight() is now PxTextHeight(), and PfTextHeightWrap() is now PxTextHeightWrap().
  • Changed the names of several routines for consistency (tme: that's my story, anyway).
PS: Many options have had their names changed for one reason or another and many more have been changed to use one of the new option types and now work quite differently than they did before. It is STRONGLY suggested that you make use of the new Reset to Defaults button on the Character Sheet Options window for Phoenix and redo your preferred options before using Phoenix to print characters.

PPS: That's the last update for the day, unless another bug pops up. I promise. =)

Last edited by tmedwards; 03-16-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added version 1.11 & 1.12 changelogs
Old 03-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #64
Corpus

------> wow! <------

Just excellent!

Thank you so much for this great sheet!
Old 03-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #65
Taellosse

Excellent! Now I'll be able to use these for all my NPCs in tomorrow's game! Thanks muchly!

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin
Taellosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #66
tmedwards

Here's a Phoenix update. As always, it's available from my GCA tools page.

Phoenix, version 1.13 ChangeLog
  • Added all of the remaining Statistic blocks, except the primary statistics block, to the positioning system. All blocks, except the page one header and primary statistics blocks, are now positionable.
  • Separated the blocks that were previously grouped together in the positioning system to allow greater positional control.
  • Extended the ability to print the components of package traits to all of the Template/Advantage/Disadvantage blocks, per some data file magick that Eric has been up to lately.
  • Removed the option to enable printing of the TK encumbrance block, as it was essentially superfluous; printing of the TK encumbrance block is now governed by whether the TK statistics sub-block and the encumbrance block print.
PS: Changes were made to the positioning options. You will need to make use of the Reset to Defaults button on the Character Sheet Options window for Phoenix and redo your preferred options before using Phoenix to print characters.

PPS: This release is all Eric's fault! ;)

Old 03-16-2007, 09:31 PM   #67
Taellosse

In the new FP blocks section, the optional text has a redundant segment. Specifically, "Immediately fall unconscious; you can no longer lose FP, further FP costs are lost from your HP instead." I think you should remove the first appearance of this, beside the 0FP boxes, and have all the text start up there beside the boxes instead, to conserve a bit of space. It should save at least a couple of lines' worth, and for those characters with a ton of FP, the text might actually be shorter than the boxes that way.

Other than that, though, I cannot spot anything wrong. Phoenix has really gotten to be rather attractive and quite useful. I love the new levels of flexibility. Thank you very much for this.

Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin
Taellosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #68
Orin_Sonders

Default Feature Requests

I love the new options in the Phoenix sheet! The HP checkboxes option is my current favorite, but reordering the output order of sections is a close second. Many thanks tmedwards!

Playing around with the new sheet has motivated me to start "prettying up" my character sheet output. :)

I notice the Equipment checkbox in the Seperator Line Options section controls for both Equipment and Load-Outs. Can Load-Outs be given its own Seperator Line checkbox?

Continuing on the subject of Load-Outs, can the Load-Out being used to calculate encumbrance be highlighted in some fashion on the character sheet?
Orin_Sonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:48 AM   #69
tmedwards

Default Re: Feature Requests

Tackling replies for Taellosse & Orin_Sonders here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taellosse
I think you should remove the first appearance of this, beside the 0FP boxes, and have all the text start up there beside the boxes instead, to conserve a bit of space. It should save at least a couple of lines' worth, and for those characters with a ton of FP, the text might actually be shorter than the boxes that way.
For characters with 15 or less FP, the current placement is roughly equal to or better than your suggestion. However, for characters with 16+ FP, your suggestion would indeed save space. I had thought of that placement before, but I had some concerns about it if different fonts/font sizes were used, so I never tried it out. I just did and it behaves reasonably well, so I'll probably make the change for the next release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orin_Sonders
Can Load-Outs be given its own Seperator Line checkbox?
Yes, they could, however, I'm not sure I see the reason why you'd want to. Could you explain?

Quote:
Continuing on the subject of Load-Outs, can the Load-Out being used to calculate encumbrance be highlighted in some fashion on the character sheet?
That's actually a pretty good idea, however, I don't think sheets currently have any way to do that. I could be wrong though, I'll talk to Armin about this and hopefully we can make it happen.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #70
Orin_Sonders

Quote:
Quote:
Can Load-Outs be given its own Seperator Line checkbox?

Yes, they could, however, I'm not sure I see the reason why you'd want to. Could you explain?
To explain, I print Equipment with Description and Notes text which runs multiple lines per item in a 2-column printout, and the whole section covers most of a page. I like to use the seperator lines to put a break between each equipment item so they are easier to locate. Not printing the seperator lines makes the page look like one large mass of text.

I track 3 different Load-outs, so I try to compact them as much as possible. On load-outs I try to strip out everything but the item name, but they still cover over 1/2 page combined. As a matter of personal taste, I don't use seperator lines anywhere but the equipment section, nor do I use alternate line shading. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but having the seperator lines drawn in between every line of the load-outs makes the page look overly "busy" or dense in my opinion.

Being able to maintain a seperator line between each Load-out group would be nice.

I realize it is only a minor aesthetic point, but I thought I would ask anyway as a means of making your fine character sheet even better for my purposes.
Orin_Sonders is offline   Reply With Quote