Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-05-2021, 09:01 PM   #1
Michael Thayne

Default Does Extra Attack let you attack twice with the same weapon?

In GURPS, Extra Attack doesn't let you attack multiple times with the same weapon / limb / etc. unless you take the Multi-Strike enhancement. But I can't find anything in the DFRPG books that so much as hints at such a limitation. Indeed, the rules for Heroic Archer (p. 35) seem to imply that Extra Attack lets you attack multiple times with a bow in the space of one second, if you can make multiple Fast-Draw rolls. Is this right? That would make this one of those many annoyingly subtle changes between GURPS and DFRPG. Or maybe I'm just not reading carefully enough. Or maybe this is an unintended oversight Kromm has clarified somewhere. What's the story?
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:19 PM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Does Extra Attack let you attack twice with the same weapon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
In GURPS, Extra Attack doesn't let you attack multiple times with the same weapon / limb / etc. unless you take the Multi-Strike enhancement. But I can't find anything in the DFRPG books that so much as hints at such a limitation. Indeed, the rules for Heroic Archer (p. 35) seem to imply that Extra Attack lets you attack multiple times with a bow in the space of one second, if you can make multiple Fast-Draw rolls. Is this right? That would make this one of those many annoyingly subtle changes between GURPS and DFRPG. Or maybe I'm just not reading carefully enough. Or maybe this is an unintended oversight Kromm has clarified somewhere. What's the story?
Edit : and there is an even clearer quote by Kromm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=2359207&postcount=4

Quote:
Q3

Advantage Extra attack
In GURPS Basic you can buy one extra attack per limb, this implies you can't use extra attack with the same limb (you can attack with the same limb using all-out attack:double or rapid strike).
DFRPG doesn't seem to have this limitation, i.e. a knignt with a sword and shield can attack twice with his sword if he has the advantage.
Have I missed something?

No. The DFRPG is based on GURPS but it isn't the same game. This is an example of where a GURPS rules interpretation seemed wrong for the genre, so I changed it.

Edit 2 : what follow apply to DF, not DFRPG. For DFRPG, see the quote above.
In DF, Extra-attack is ("under the hood") extra attack(multi-strike, +20%; one weapon only, -20%)
There is a quote about it somewhere, but I am on my phone.
The "one weapon" bit isn't applied or in effect, for simplicity the book simply assume that most characters will use one primary weapon skill in most cases.

Last edited by Celjabba; 08-08-2021 at 02:07 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:17 AM   #3
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Edit : and there is an even clearer quote by Kromm:

In DFRPG, Extra-attack is ("under the hood") extra attack(multi-strike, +20%; one weapon only, -20%)
There is a quote about it somewhere, but I am on my phone.

The "one weapon" bit isn't applied or in effect, for simplicity the book simply assume that most characters will use one primary weapon skill in most cases.
This might indeed be assumed, but I don't see anything stopping, say a scout with EA from skeletons twice a turn with his staff.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:06 AM   #4
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by corwyn View Post
This might indeed be assumed, but I don't see anything stopping, say a scout with EA from skeletons twice a turn with his staff.
As the Kromm quote i cited above said, he changed the rule for DFRPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
No. The DFRPG is based on GURPS but it isn't the same game. This is an example of where a GURPS rules interpretation seemed wrong for the genre, so I changed it.
So, in DFRPG, extra-attack include the multi-strike enhancement by default, with nothing else assumed.
It is a rules change from Gurps.

The original explanation was actually for Gurps DF

http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...03&postcount=4
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.php?p=555703&postcount=4
DF assumes you know nothing about special modifiers in Powers or combat options in Martial Arts. Both Multi-Strike and Single Skill are implicit on Extra Attack in that series, but this isn't stated because it would needlessly complicate what's supposed to be a fast, easy game. But should it matter to those using heaps of rulebooks, the basic idea is that most delvers will have one ace weapon they use all the time, and can whack things with it as many times as they have attacks.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:01 PM   #5
Balor Patch

Quote:
So, in DFRPG, extra-attack include the multi-strike enhancement by default, with nothing else assumed.
It is a rules change from Gurps.
Yes, although my rule would be it includes either multi-strike or multiple strikers as appropriate. I view a Peshkali as having extra attacks because it has extra arms and having it strike six times with its last remaining arm offends me.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:34 PM   #6
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
Yes, although my rule would be it includes either multi-strike or multiple strikers as appropriate. I view a Peshkali as having extra attacks because it has extra arms and having it strike six times with its last remaining arm offends me.
The Peshkali does have a note that said so :

Quote:
Notes: Can attack six times but can use each body part – arm (to use a weapon or grapple) or serpent tail (to grapple) – just once.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:26 PM   #7
Balor Patch

Quote:
The Peshkali does have a note that said so :
Ah, so many little changes from DF to DFRPG. Thank you.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote