Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 10-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #791
momothefiddler

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

No, I've already done it. That's fine, though - my second idea builds on the first. It should work out ok.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #792
momothefiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
To no one in particular, when the world is replaced by the old creepy world The world is saved. Go team! Anyone got any healing spells floating around?
Are we near each other or did our dream-movement correspond to real-world movement? Come to think of it, if it does correspond, does that mean that Jacob and Jorin fell down a story?

Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
Old 10-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #793
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Are we near each other or did our dream-movement correspond to real-world movement? Come to think of it, if it does correspond, does that mean that Jacob and Jorin fell down a story?
Dream-movement did match up to movement in the world. Jorin and Jacob are both up inside buildings; it corresponded well enough that the geography between the dream and real world (given what Michael now knows I really need to come up with a better set of terms...) was fairly close. The buildings are in better condition, and getting down won't require any rolls since secrecy and avoiding being shot isn't as a serious concern now.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #794
Totem

I'm posting this to make it clear how I'm going to proceed so that it doesn't catch anyone off guard.

Rorikdude12 hasn't posted anything for nearly three weeks, and hasn't even logged into the site for a week. I'll give it till tomorrow then assume control of Jacob for the near future (including making the awaited Fright check) pending rorikdude12's return or a suitable point in the plot where Jacob can move off. At that point I will have a space available should someone wish to join the game.

I'm trying not to jump the gun here, but rorikdude12 has previously notified me of expected absence from the game, and I've had nothing this time. I would send a PM, but given that the account hasn't been logged into this won't help. Precise details about how long I will be waiting before opening up the space will depend on the progress of the plot. Anyone wishing to express an interest in that space should PM me (I will ignore posts in the game threads) and shouldn't be surprised if rorikdude12 returns and the space is closed before they actually get involved.

Last edited by Totem; 10-14-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 12:22 PM   #795
momothefiddler

That all seems fair. I just have one note:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
I would send a PM, but given that the account hasn't been logged into this won't help.
I have it set up such that I get email notifications when I receive PMs. I also receive notifications when the threads update, but only one per visit (so occasionally I end up missing the notifications). You're probably right - I doubt it's just that - but there is a possibility that a PM would reach rorikdude12.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:21 PM   #796
momothefiddler

Quote:
I'm a bit confused about these spells; Great Healing should have totally fixed things (for 20FP cost and a margin of success of 9 I'll allow serious amounts of healing), unless I'm misreading the "restores all of the subject's missing HP" wrong that is. Certainly that will cover the internal damage and patch things up so that the worst Jorin should be having to deal with in the second round of spells is something to tidy up a bit to prevent scarring. Also, the stimshot will temporarily boost his FP recovery to the point where he will be able to cast something to recover his own lost HP after only a couple of minutes wait. Basically, within ten minutes he should be able to cast Great Healing, Body Reading, and then fix his own lost HP and tidy up John. Casting Great Healing first kind of negates most of the other spells. Unless I've missed something serious here.
You mentioned something about his torso being gone and being dissatisfied with all injuries coming down to just HP, so i figured, unless entire organs needed to be replaced, the stopping internal bleeding function of Stop Bleeding was the closest option in Magic.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:09 PM   #797
Totem

Quote:
You mentioned something about his torso being gone and being dissatisfied with all injuries coming down to just HP, so i figured, unless entire organs needed to be replaced, the stopping internal bleeding function of Stop Bleeding was the closest option in Magic.
Let me explain my logic here:

John took 24 pi damage to the torso. DR 12 (I missed that bit in the follow-up post, mea cupla) takes him down to -2 HP. Taking -5xHP as the point where physical destruction is deemed to be total, that gives John an effective 60HP (for the purposes of these maths). He's lost 1/5th of his HP there. GURPS doesn't handle such damage very well by the basic rules, as far as I can see, so losing that many HP is handled by rules for shock and major wounds. Interpretation of the injury is left to players/ GM.

Interpretation in this case is going to have to be one of the following two:
  1. A small number of HP was lost to physical burrowing as the shot went in and out again. Most of the damage was trauma to internal organs, resulting in internal bleeding and loss of vital functions (combining the disadvantages Wounded in the short term and Increased Life Support in the long term assuming that things can't be stitched back together properly).
  2. 1/5th of John's body mass has been blown away.

I will add at this point that I'm choosing for the Body Reading to go first. Otherwise I do have to invoke Jorin's lack of understanding about TL8 firearms and the effects on the Human body, and wreak unspeakable havoc on John's body.

For regular injuries, I'd go for the second interpretation because it isn't worth the hassle. For this one I'll go for the first one. Since Jorin used Body Reading, he knows what the problem is. The raw power behind Great Healing, combined with a success by 9 and the success on Body Reading of 11 to let Jorin know where to focus, would sort out the worst of the trouble. Any kind of failure (or not doing the Body Reading first) would have resulted in healing based on Jorin's best guess as to what the damage was (which would probably have been based around the kind of wound a sword or arrow would leave rather than a bullet with a super-sonic slipstream), leading to that whole Wounded and Increased Life Support (things like a dialysis machine), along with permanent loss of HT and DX until you can get back to a place where it can be healed properly (namely one of the Harbours).

Basically, the one rule for magic (and psi, plus whatever) that I am holding fast to here is that the spell must either be visualised properly (in this case informed by the Body Reading what was wrong) or the intention must be fully stated as part of the spell. For some stuff it's fine to ignore this, so it hasn't really come up before (a fireball has its own built in inaccuracy, and so forth). Healing is a bit more tricky if you want things to work properly afterwards. Magic based on minimal action and near-pure visualisation (Harry Potter... Basically kid's story magic for the most part) just strikes me as being wrong, fundamentally.

Jorin can heal John in one go, and follow up healing himself as I previously described. Trying to do so when not properly informed will have dire results. That's more the thought I was aiming at than requiring multiple spells to heal each injury separately. Sorry if I've rambled a bit here.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:00 PM   #798
momothefiddler

Quote:
Let me explain my logic here:

John took 24 pi damage to the torso. DR 12 (I missed that bit in the follow-up post, mea cupla) takes him down to -2 HP. Taking -5xHP as the point where physical destruction is deemed to be total, that gives John an effective 60HP (for the purposes of these maths). He's lost 1/5th of his HP there. GURPS doesn't handle such damage very well by the basic rules, as far as I can see, so losing that many HP is handled by rules for shock and major wounds. Interpretation of the injury is left to players/ GM.

Interpretation in this case is going to have to be one of the following two:
  1. A small number of HP was lost to physical burrowing as the shot went in and out again. Most of the damage was trauma to internal organs, resulting in internal bleeding and loss of vital functions (combining the disadvantages Wounded in the short term and Increased Life Support in the long term assuming that things can't be stitched back together properly).
  2. 1/5th of John's body mass has been blown away.

I will add at this point that I'm choosing for the Body Reading to go first. Otherwise I do have to invoke Jorin's lack of understanding about TL8 firearms and the effects on the Human body, and wreak unspeakable havoc on John's body.

For regular injuries, I'd go for the second interpretation because it isn't worth the hassle. For this one I'll go for the first one. Since Jorin used Body Reading, he knows what the problem is. The raw power behind Great Healing, combined with a success by 9 and the success on Body Reading of 11 to let Jorin know where to focus, would sort out the worst of the trouble. Any kind of failure (or not doing the Body Reading first) would have resulted in healing based on Jorin's best guess as to what the damage was (which would probably have been based around the kind of wound a sword or arrow would leave rather than a bullet with a super-sonic slipstream), leading to that whole Wounded and Increased Life Support (things like a dialysis machine), along with permanent loss of HT and DX until you can get back to a place where it can be healed properly (namely one of the Harbours).

Basically, the one rule for magic (and psi, plus whatever) that I am holding fast to here is that the spell must either be visualised properly (in this case informed by the Body Reading what was wrong) or the intention must be fully stated as part of the spell. For some stuff it's fine to ignore this, so it hasn't really come up before (a fireball has its own built in inaccuracy, and so forth). Healing is a bit more tricky if you want things to work properly afterwards. Magic based on minimal action and near-pure visualisation (Harry Potter... Basically kid's story magic for the most part) just strikes me as being wrong, fundamentally.

Jorin can heal John in one go, and follow up healing himself as I previously described. Trying to do so when not properly informed will have dire results. That's more the thought I was aiming at than requiring multiple spells to heal each injury separately. Sorry if I've rambled a bit here.
  1. I'm completely in agreement with your stance that "heals x hp" isn't the ideal way of handling magic healing like that, especially given Jorin's lack of experience. In fact, of the magic systems I've (partially) developed, all the recent ones have had either requirements for precise visualisation, complete with proper understanding of what's going on, or at least significant benefits therefrom (I have one vague system where you can make something vague happen, but only if you pump immense amounts of energy into it, while a properly understood change that thus bypasses only a few physics-based restrictions would take far more skill and far less effort)
  2. That said, I am still not sure how you're intending for that to interact with GURPS Magic's rather simple healing setup. Are you saying that the initial Body-Reading and subsequent Great Healing suffice to get John back to full capacity, and that the latter Body Reading revealed that, making my further spells unnecessary? If so, I can edit the post to have Jorin just move on to his own healing at that point.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #799
Totem

Quote:
That said, I am still not sure how you're intending for that to interact with GURPS Magic's rather simple healing setup. Are you saying that the initial Body-Reading and subsequent Great Healing suffice to get John back to full capacity, and that the latter Body Reading revealed that, making my further spells unnecessary? If so, I can edit the post to have Jorin just move on to his own healing at that point.
Without going off into another essay... Yes, I will allow Great Healing to accomplish the necessary repair work on the basis of a Body Reading spell going first. Another Body Reading spell would then confirm that John was sorted out and Jorin could concentrate on himself.

With spells that only heal a limited amount of HP I would require a Body Reading roll between each spell, as well as specifically indicating the damage that each spell was repairing, at least when dealing with something of this scale.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #800
momothefiddler

Quote:
Without going off into another essay... Yes, I will allow Great Healing to accomplish the necessary repair work on the basis of a Body Reading spell going first. Another Body Reading spell would then confirm that John was sorted out and Jorin could concentrate on himself.

With spells that only heal a limited amount of HP I would require a Body Reading roll between each spell, as well as specifically indicating the damage that each spell was repairing, at least when dealing with something of this scale.
Alrighty, then.

Old post:
Spoiler:  

I am leaving the same roll results in the same order - if you want me to roll again for new actions instead, that's fine too. I can see how either option is open to abuse, so....

Edited post is here.

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire