Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 09-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #781
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

The 'key' is one from the western harbour, unless they didn't provide Michael with one, in which case he's using a random object (rocks work, but he prefers more memorable things).

Though wow, the fact that the question is being asked is gold in terms of information. I fell useful running away.

And no, I have no idea how the actual fighting is going, Other than stuff about snipers, flying, invisibility not working, and all sorts of ultimate showdown Michael is happy to miss.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #782
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Though wow, the fact that the question is being asked is gold in terms of information. I fell useful running away.

And no, I have no idea how the actual fighting is going, Other than stuff about snipers, flying, invisibility not working, and all sorts of ultimate showdown Michael is happy to miss.
It is potentially useful information that I'm asking. I'd be interested to hear where you are thinking that it is going. I'm going to take a guess and say that you probably won't get it though. Then again...

Michael only actually knows about the mortars, snipers and gunners. The rest of it is since he left.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #783
momothefiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
The figure that Jacob has aimed at
Did you intend to put more here?

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #784
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Did you intend to put more here?
Yes, I did. Doing a weekend course for climbing instruction does have a detrimental effect on your ability to concentrate on some things that evening. That plus accounts this evening means I'm a bit rushed. I may not get a coherent response into place until Wednesday.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #785
momothefiddler

Quote:
Yes, I did. Doing a weekend course for climbing instruction does have a detrimental effect on your ability to concentrate on some things that evening. That plus accounts this evening means I'm a bit rushed. I may not get a coherent response into place until Wednesday.
No worries! Just checking.

Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
Old 10-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #786
Totem

I'm guessing that things have hit a bit of a stop with the fight because everyone's a bit confused about how to proceed. As such, I'll do what I probably shouldn't and drop a hint: the world has only flickered or appeared to have trouble when directly challenged.

John flying and shooting with guns wasn't a problem, because he was relying on normal weapons and dodging at a distance. On the other hand Jacob tried to talk to things that apparently exist only to be (literally) shadowy enemies, and then attacked them with a sword, while Jorin challenged them with magical light (decidedly not something that you would see often in a setting like this). So far the gryphon, while unusual, still falls under the heading of flying-animal-at-a-distance.

Something properly unexpected or off-the-script could probably break the apparent dream in one go. When you've got the array of abilities that are present in this team, something unexpected that directly challenges the reality of the setting shouldn't be hard.
Old 10-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #787
momothefiddler

Right. I'm still trying to figure out how to do something sufficiently unexpected with the rest of my fp, having wasted most of it on useless stuff.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #788
Totem

Quote:
Right. I'm still trying to figure out how to do something sufficiently unexpected with the rest of my fp, having wasted most of it on useless stuff.
Making use of the illusion is probably your best bet; 'retuning' it to a different image would be a reduced cost. The challenge here is coming up with something that challenges the situation. So what is the situation? If it was a tragedy (which it isn't exactly, aside from in the way that any war is) then you might throw jokes in. If it was a comedy you might start a very serious fight. For romance you might try slapstick. You get the idea; something that throws not just the situation but the entire genre, by going up to it and hitting it hard in the face.

Previous examples of this (from one particular story) were based around two characters being trapped in a variety of stage plays. For a particularly sad scene where she had taken on the roll of a traumatised wife who had lost her son, Sapphire challenged the setting by complimenting the vicar on his hymns and starting to recite dirty limericks. Steel escaped from Great Expectations by various mean, including responding to Miss Havisham's taunt of "they will call me mad" with a forcefully worded "I'd rather call you a taxi." Yes, I am referencing Sapphire and Steel (Case File: Water Like a Stone, by Big Finish Productions) for some of my inspiration; thinking at that kind of angle to reality can take a bit of a run-up sometimes.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #789
momothefiddler

Quote:
Making use of the illusion is probably your best bet; 'retuning' it to a different image would be a reduced cost. The challenge here is coming up with something that challenges the situation. So what is the situation? If it was a tragedy (which it isn't exactly, aside from in the way that any war is) then you might throw jokes in. If it was a comedy you might start a very serious fight. For romance you might try slapstick. You get the idea; something that throws not just the situation but the entire genre, by going up to it and hitting it hard in the face.

Previous examples of this (from one particular story) were based around two characters being trapped in a variety of stage plays. For a particularly sad scene where she had taken on the roll of a traumatised wife who had lost her son, Sapphire challenged the setting by complimenting the vicar on his hymns and starting to recite dirty limericks. Steel escaped from Great Expectations by various mean, including responding to Miss Havisham's taunt of "they will call me mad" with a forcefully worded "I'd rather call you a taxi." Yes, I am referencing Sapphire and Steel (Case File: Water Like a Stone, by Big Finish Productions) for some of my inspiration; thinking at that kind of angle to reality can take a bit of a run-up sometimes.
Ah...

Hm... I have an idea, then, if my current action works.

Old 10-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #790
Totem

Quote:
Ah...

Hm... I have an idea, then, if my current action works.
Actually, I was trying to get my bit in before you did anything (and nearly managed). Having not officially looked at it since offering advice, I can delay my response if you think your second idea will work better.

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire