Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-31-2013, 01:01 PM   #751
Totem

Default Re: [OOC] Worlds of Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by momothefiddler View Post
Does the need to make an HT roll indicate awareness of something happening? Because so far Jorin hasn't realized that there's anything problematic about the gas unless it's inhaled, and he's already taken care of that. Basically, did he feel anything that would warn him not to go back in?
The gas works through skin contact as well; he is going to be aware of some kind of prickly/ stinging/ burning sensation from contact with this, and the poison snooper in his palm (everyone has one) will have gone off. So, on some level, he knows that something has happened and probably involves this gas. He still needs the IQ roll in order to get moving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorikdude12 View Post
Could the gas go through my force field? If I activated my bracer, that is. Not going to, just curious.
There are two cases where it won't go through:
  1. Your force field is strong enough to block movement of all air (or at least slow down the transmission of air across the barrier layer). Total blocking will cause you to suffocate within a few minutes of the shield activating, and partial blocking will probably be tuned such that normal breathing (resting/ non-active) will not be sufficient to cause suffocation.
  2. You force field is sophisticated enough to filter toxins from the air. Unless the force-field specifies this in the spec sheet, you assume that it doesn't.
Basically, check the spec sheet for the shield (or point me at it) and apply the rules here.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #752
momothefiddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
The gas works through skin contact as well; he is going to be aware of some kind of prickly/ stinging/ burning sensation from contact with this, and the poison snooper in his palm (everyone has one) will have gone off. So, on some level, he knows that something has happened and probably involves this gas.
Alright.

Quote:
He still needs the IQ roll in order to get moving.
I should have mentioned Combat Reflexes in my post; sorry. I'll edit that in now.

Astrid 14/14HP, 3/10FP buffs
Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
momothefiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #753
Lamech

Question: How many seconds of activity should we be posting for? I posted the following Sam, but then what? 1 second of hiding with him? Three? Seven?
Hiriko
Andrew
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:51 AM   #754
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
Question: How many seconds of activity should we be posting for? I posted the following Sam, but then what? 1 second of hiding with him? Three? Seven?
We're posting for the immediate action. That means that currently we're waiting to find out what Michael is up to, then we see where we're going. Feel free to suggest courses of action (fall back, advance, go round the sides, teleport out) in the mean time.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #755
momothefiddler

Quote:
I'm going to throw a spanner in the works here: Hold Breath means that you don't need to breath. It doesn't stop you from doing so, or inhaling things (that would be Filter Lungs rather than Doesn't Breath), and this stuff is most dangerous when it gets inside you. Unless Jorin is deliberately holding his breath, he would count as having inhaled it (though I'll allow a roll for DX to get out before it gets that far).
Well, Hold Breath "Temporarily eliminates the casterís need for air, as if he had Doesnít Breathe (p. B49)" and Doesn't Breathe says that "you are immune to inhaled toxins." In addition, Filter Lungs says that "if you have Doesnít Breathe (p. 49), you do not need this advantage!"

But since Jorin has Combat Reflexes, which you said obviated the need for a roll to hold his breath, he can be specifically holding his breath if that is necessary.

Of course, I may have missed something. If I do still need to make a DX roll, I will; just let me know.

Jorin 13/13, 9/10, 0/1 ER, 24/24, 3/6, 6/6, 6/6, 6/6 Rings, 6 days since last use of WT
Old 09-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #756
Totem

Quote:
Well, Hold Breath "Temporarily eliminates the casterís need for air, as if he had Doesnít Breathe (p. B49)" and Doesn't Breathe says that "you are immune to inhaled toxins." In addition, Filter Lungs says that "if you have Doesnít Breathe (p. 49), you do not need this advantage!"

But since Jorin has Combat Reflexes, which you said obviated the need for a roll to hold his breath, he can be specifically holding his breath if that is necessary.

Of course, I may have missed something. If I do still need to make a DX roll, I will; just let me know.
Fair point; I'm trying to handle ideas for too much in my head at once, so I forgot that. The reasoning that I'm using here is that Filter Lungs provides a protective layer around vulnerable tissue in your throat/ lungs (where the gas can do the most damage) where Doesn't Breath implies that such tissue doesn't exist, or exists only for the purposes of speaking rather than acting as a means to carry the nasty stuff into the blood stream, and is thus more robust.

Thus, Hold Breath will protect against inhaling nerve gas as long as it provides some kind of gross physical change that means that you don't need to breath rather than magically eliminating your need to breath, which from the name and the assumed Fantasy background, it wouldn't do. For a higher TL character (WWI or later) I would probably allow Filter Lungs as a part of such a spell by default. At Jorin's TL though, such things aren't going to be such a concern, and so it would effectively blindside his expectations; the worst he's likely to expect is the gas to be used for a distraction or cover, rather than a direct attack.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #757
momothefiddler

That makes sense. So what do I need to do from here?

Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #758
Totem

Quote:
That makes sense. So what do I need to do from here?
Roll DX as previously indicated to see if Jorin moved aside before inhaling. If appropriate adjust the result of the HT roll accordingly and roll damage.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #759
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

umm... what happens to the connection between michael and jacob? I hadn't thought about that part.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #760
Totem

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
umm... what happens to the connection between michael and jacob? I hadn't thought about that part.
Michael is aware of a telepathic sensation akin to listening to static on a radio while waiting for something to come through; whatever part of his mind got stuck in Jacob's thoughts is still listening out for them, but can't find anything at the moment. He's still effectively got the connection open, he just can't pick anything up on it while he's out of range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
OCC: Michael also has swimming, should that be important: he should have a decent breath holding ability.
Breath Holding has no default, and swimming has nothing in it about holding your breath. I can see what's happened here: swimming is deemed to be on the surface, or with mechanical assistance of some kind for long periods below the surface. Breath holding is therefore a separate skill entirely, with applications elsewhere.

I'm in agreement with this logic, and so I won't currently grant a default for Breath Holding based on Swimming. Based on the rules of Using Skills Without Attributes (Bp172) I would allow a default if Swimming (a HT/A skill) was known at HT+2 or higher as attaining this level of skill at swimming would necessitate a level of fitness and experience where such a default would become available as a side effect. Michael only has swimming at HT-1, representing a beginner level of experience, and as such does not get the default.

Last edited by Totem; 09-04-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Added notes about swimming/ breath holding
Totem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pbp, world-jumping, worlds of fire