Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-16-2007, 05:00 PM   #1241
Jame

Default Re: So, how great is Kromm anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
I have tried out His Holy Beverage in egg nog made to celebrate the impending birthday of Jeebus H. Christ. The taste of apples has been a definite hit and Calvados is now a standard part of my evolving recipie.

All Hail KROMM!
In the Name of KROMM, I think you have done right, by KROMM!

Praise KROMM, may KROMM grant us wisdom and much more!

http://www.coinich.com/traveller/portal.php is a Traveller site for a campaign in the Greater Boston, MA, USA area.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 11:41 PM   #1242
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

I have tried out His Holy Beverage in egg nog made to celebrate the impending birthday of Jeebus H. Christ. The taste of apples has been a definite hit and Calvados is now a standard part of my evolving recipie.
I must consider this option. I have yet to make nog this year, and I was wondering what might be good in it.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 01:12 PM   #1243
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
I must consider this option. I have yet to make nog this year, and I was wondering what might be good in it.
Specifically, I used only Calvados for one batch and Calvados, single malt and VSOP Cognac for another.

Both were good, but the latter was less popular with the younger crowd and much more overtly alcoholic.

As a sidenote, I serve egg nog warm and refuse to bow to modern fads like cooling it. I also put whipped cream and chocolade shavings on top of it, which makes little difference to the overall taste but makes it look better.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:03 PM   #1244
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

As a sidenote, I serve egg nog warm and refuse to bow to modern fads like cooling it.
Maybe that's a fad where you live. Where I live, it has been traditional to serve it frosty since at least the 19th century, maybe earlier. I don't think warm eggnog would go over at all well in Canada . . . I can't consume any egg-based beverage if it's warm, as it makes me physically ill.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:10 PM   #1245
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Maybe that's a fad where you live. Where I live, it has been traditional to serve it frosty since at least the 19th century, maybe earlier. I don't think warm eggnog would go over at all well in Canada . . . I can't consume any egg-based beverage if it's warm, as it makes me physically ill.
Actually, Iceland doesn't have egg nog traditions per se, so I'm basically adopting an English one by making it. That being said, 19th century as the origin for cold egg nog sounds about right. But posset, the English drink eggnog is based on, is old enough for 19th century onwards to count as 'a fad'. ;)

Why do warm eggs make you physically ill? The thought of cold eggs makes me quesy, come to think of it, but warm seems natural for them.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:34 PM   #1246
Jame

I don't like eggs at all (the smell isn't one of my favorites), so there you go.

http://www.coinich.com/traveller/portal.php is a Traveller site for a campaign in the Greater Boston, MA, USA area.
Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #1247
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Warming eggs activates the sulfur taste/smell, which is one of several odors that makes me retch. I have an unusually sensitive sense of smell . . . indeed, I left applied chemistry for theoretical physics at least in part because I was ill almost all the time in the chemistry lab (although that was mainly due to toluene and xylenes, not inorganics). Generally, if food has egg in it, the egg must either be diluted beyond relevance (as in a flour-heavy cake) or chilled to the point of flavorlessness. I like nog not because of the egg flavor, but because of the texture and its magical ability to retain the flavor of booze without the super-alcoholic aftertaste. If I could make nog with just milk, cream, sugar, rum, and spices, I would . . . but it's inevitably too watery that way.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:49 PM   #1248
Icelander

Ah, I see.

I didn't actually taste the eggs themselves, but then again, I don't have a hypersensitive sense of smell and taste. I can imagine I'd have tasted them if I allowed the mixture to boil, but you're not supposed to do that.

And with the amount of booze I put in there, it would have taken superpowers to taste eggs. ;)

I was thinking about trying to make cooled egg nog, but that would require several extra hours of bother, making the mix and then putting it in the freezer. I could whip up the warm stuff in several minutes while we put up decorations and then when we fancied more while watching Love Actually (the best Christmas movie ever), it was the work of mere moments to make it.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #1249
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Ah, it sounds like you make cooked eggnog. I make it with cold ingredients, so it starts life at fridge temperature. You don't much have to worry about bacteria with the amount of rum I add (not that eggs in Canada are really troublesome anyway, but some people would freak if you told them otherwise . . .).
Old 12-17-2007, 10:55 PM   #1250
Icelander

I guess that the eggs are unlikely to kill you, but some people just plain refuse to eat raw eggs, so I see it as a courtesy to cook the mixture to allay any possible fears.

But how cold do you serve your egg nog?

Either ice cold or very warm sounds fine, but the taste of milk between those states doesn't exactly appeal. I could stomach it at 2-3 degrees C, but not at 10 C.

I suppose I could add ice and shake it in a cocktail maker until the ice is gone, but that seems vaguely sacrilegious. ;)

Tags
kromm