Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #91
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Alternate Crosstime Organizations

My longest running infinity game featured a multiverse where the quanta only occupied a part of it: once you went past Q3 distances became more planar or even three dimensional instead of being defined in quanta, and things became fantasy enough that I hesitate to call it infinite worlds. That said:

Riask: A world of rivers and perpetual rain, sloping continually down to the whirlpool in the center of the central ocean, Riask is not set in the center of a infinite space, but in the midst of tough black stone said to be the foundation of the universe. This stone, once harvested, can be used to pull energy from other worlds, or even tap their raw materials, travel from place to place within a world, travel between worlds, and even bleed the meta-physical properties of one world to another, allowing magic or super-science unique to one world to be used on another.

The city states of Riask send merchants, explorers, and even conquerors far and wide in the multiverse. They aren't particularly united though, and if they don't fight among themselves, its because proxy wars are a safer option.

Riask's native magic usually isn't what gives them the edge in a conflict: its their ability to use the magic and technology of others, or to turn off the local magic in an area temporarily (With the right research, yes, they can bleed a rustic world-line in and kill electronics and guns). Riask's native technology is TL4+1, having a large amount of industry running off of water power, which is beyond abundant for them. They are also very wealthy and quite familiar with various forms of technology and magic. Fortunately, they are usually encountered with limited resources and far from home.

The Blood Ritual: This is less a faction and more of a horrifying piece of color I use in infinite worlds, particularly at the fantasy end of things. As it turns out, virtually anyone can open a portal to just about any world if they use enough human sacrifice: about 50,000 lives or so: exact numbers will vary on the exact connection, size of the portal needed, duration, and so forth. This is usually only used to save a civilization from utter destruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchase8 View Post
I like the idea of encountering a flying drone in a world that should have none of them. It's a creepy scene that has been done recently on The 100 and The Last Man On Earth.

How much do you think Infinity (or Centrum) would employ flying drones? On the one hand, they're great for information gathering, don't endanger agents lives, etc. On the other, they risk crashing and being seen by locals - and they're most useful in pre-flight worlds, where it would be worst.
I love using drones in infinity games. It gives the techie more involvement in low tech scenarios, particularly before the electronic bugs come out, and emphasizes the technological superiority Infinity has. It also gives the opportunity to put someone on the team who needs to be hidden and protected while the others are going about doing their stuff. Drones (and by extension, their pilots) are really good at participating in the scene without stealing it. So I have it as one of infinity's common specializations.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:12 PM   #92
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

The Hitchhiker’s Manual to the Multiverse: Less an organization and more a loose association of traveling vagabonds with the penchant for visiting parallel universes. They visit locations and write up reviews which they post on an interdimensional super-ether network of social pages. If one has access to the Manual, they can learn all sorts of things about countless multiverses. Usually including the one they’re currently stuck in. Most Earths are still categorized as “mostly harmless.”
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:23 PM   #93
PTTG

That's a pretty hoopy organization. I'd presume that some kind of control or lockdown is needed so that finding one manual doesn't give Homeline access to a huge number of worldlines.... but aside from that I can dig it.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:19 PM   #94
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

They don't use the same type of coordinate system that Homeline uses. The information isn't as useful for them.

Their entry on Homeline:
These guys are not cool. Avoid them at all cost. Don't bother pranking them, they don't have a sense of humor and would rather kill or kidnap you than treat you like an actual sapient being. They don't know where their towels are, and are about as bright as a Ravenous Bugbladder Beast of Traal.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:11 PM   #95
fchase8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Their entry on Homeline:
These guys are not cool. Avoid them at all cost. Don't bother pranking them, they don't have a sense of humor and would rather kill or kidnap you than treat you like an actual sapient being. They don't know where their towels are, and are about as bright as a Ravenous Bugbladder Beast of Traal.
If the entry on Homeline is "not cool," what is it for Centrum?...
fchase8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:31 PM   #96
Flyndaran
Untagged

Boring? All things considered, Centrum's homeworld is far more unified and peaceful than Homeline. Less freedom compared to our world's most egalitarian sections. But averages for human rights probably fall further on the "bad guys'" side.
Old 05-13-2017, 09:32 AM   #97
Jasonft

For a fairly non-standard crosstime organization:

Nail

For want of a nail the shoe was lost,
for want of a shoe the horse was lost,
for want of a horse the knight was lost,
for want of a knight the battle was lost,
for want of a battle the kingdom was lost.
So a kingdom was lost—all for want of a nail.

Nail arose from an alliance across timelines of several deities concerned with the workings of Fate. In each timeline a champion was chosen, and their minds and souls linked each one to the others. Over the millennia since that first group the organization has spread to a great many timelines and continues to grow.

In each timeline there is one unique human. This human (male, female, old, young) shares a mental bond with the others across dimensions. They have no great special powers other than their mutual bond - and a gift for sensing where and when great world altering events are going to take place.

Nail's job, if it can be called such, is to be there when Things Start To Happen. If a hero needs a convenient wandering horse to borrow or a villain needs a door to be unlocked so they can miraculously escape - Nail is there somewhere in the background nudging things in the proper direction.

Who or what determines this proper direction is a very interesting question.

Nail's knowledge of the grand scale of things in the multiverse is hard to surpass. Though they lack the great epic powers of some crosstimers, they are never discounted by those few who know of them. All members are healthy and highly intelligent - and somewhere in the collective *every* skill has a master class teacher.

The only real limit (if it can be called such) on their actions is that no individual Nail member can ever leave their home timeline. Any that manage to do so find themselves not only cut off from Nail, they also find that Fate is actively against them at every turn. Consider this as Cursed (-75 pts) until they either die or return to their home line. If they die someone else from that world is chosen and the great weavings of Fate continue.

Nail's interactions with cross-timers, given the chance to influence multiple timelines at once are... strange. Nothing at all is predictable when this happens. The rare case of them meeting a genuine time traveler is even worse.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #98
PTTG

Interesting. It seems like Nail might play a large part in inertia.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #99
Jasonft

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Interesting. It seems like Nail might play a large part in inertia.
Entirely possible. They certainly would know more about timeline engineering than just about anyone. :)

Keep in mind Nail's desire to only *influence* events. Helping IW correct a timeline shift caused by Centrum (or the reverse) is entirely possible - so long as they can nudge someone else into doing it instead of doing it themselves.

Also note they have constant real time communication between timelines at all times. They could easily have placed members in crosstime intelligence agencies who can help someone else 'accidentally' discover a problem they want fixed.

How Nail would function in places like Reign of Steel would be problematic but might explain why humans are alive at all. They do seem biased towards having the human race survive in any line where they have a member.

Edit: Assume lots of Allies (mental contact only) and a powerful Patron deity limiting itself (themselves?) to Minimal Intervention. If you wanted to write up a sheet for a Nail member that is. Maybe Destiny with a Cosmic on it that you are always in the right place at the right time as long as you are a Nail member.

Last edited by Jasonft; 05-13-2017 at 11:06 PM.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #100
Phil Masters

Reminds me slightly of Greg Egan's "The Infinite Assassin". Only with a crucial inversion.

(S would be Infinity's worst nightmare squared, and they might respond by evolving into The Company; the whirlpool cult(s) would be a threat to make the likes of Centrum or a few mad gods trivial.)
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campaign design, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited, worldlines