Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #581
ak_aramis
 
ak_aramis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alsea, OR
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Similar patron to Anaraxes' ... but smart enough to use TTS tech so that he/she can have a voice.

Hiring you to "Fail to Assassinate the King, with many witnesses, and then escape unidentified"...

It's the King and/or his councilors, trying to divert public inquiries into his personal finances and/or recent decisions by making him the supposed target of a coup attempt.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #582
RyanW
 
RyanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southeast NC
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Hiring you to "Fail to Assassinate the King, with many witnesses, and then escape unidentified"...
A similar scheme: Hired to fail convincingly at a fraudulent transaction (or create the false impression that a fraudulent transaction took place).

Basically, the idea is to convince the target that their assets are potentially compromised, so the employer can monitor their activity and see what accounts they check.
__________________
RyanW
- Actually one normal sized guy in three tiny trenchcoats.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:59 PM   #583
ajardoor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterAndWindSpirit View Post
The Pepsi Empire:

Due to an odd trade deal with the USSR that landed them 17 submarines, a cruiser, a frigate, and a destroyer, Pepsi briefly became the 6th most powerful navy in the world... Until they sold their navy to be scrapped. Or at least, that's the official story...

What if Pepsi had a history of such shady deals, and this was just the one time they got caught? What if they accumulated an arsenal over the years, and hired PMCs for personnel to invade 3rd world nations? And while the nations of the world would easily crush them on the battlefield, all it would take is one military defeat, and you would be forever known as the nation with the military that suffered a military defeat at the hands of a soda company, and your country will never live that incident down... No one wants to be the country that will forever be known that way... And we do fear ridicule more than we fear death, so a long protracted cold war of black ops sabotage and spying by deniable assets has just begun...
Begun, the Cola Wars have...
__________________
My blog: http://tabletoprpg333.home.blog
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:41 AM   #584
RyanW
 
RyanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southeast NC
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

After a serious pandemic (as unlikely as that sounds) legislatures change rules allowing remote participation. It brings about an era of the political recluse. Secretly, some of those are digital creations - S1m0ne* style - designed to be ideal candidates but under the control of someone with an unknown agenda.

*S-one-m-zero-ne.
__________________
RyanW
- Actually one normal sized guy in three tiny trenchcoats.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:35 PM   #585
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
After a serious pandemic (as unlikely as that sounds) legislatures change rules allowing remote participation. It brings about an era of the political recluse. Secretly, some of those are digital creations - S1m0ne* style - designed to be ideal candidates but under the control of someone with an unknown agenda.

*S-one-m-zero-ne.
In real life the danger of someone making a digital Mary Sue can be counteracted by making it procedural that all candidates be inspected face to face (that could make the procedural council an Oligarchy but I suppose no worse than party heads of Parliamentary democracies). Of course every candidate tries to make themselves a Mary Sue anyway. And voters know little about them unless they do something stupid which is not uncommon.

That is just chewing the cud of course though someone might even get something off of that. The fact is it is a pretty good idea on it's own. Scary, kind of like those nasty stories of someone who finds some one to exploit by making a digital Mary Sue for vulnerable teens the way they are always doing on crime shows. Except this could be a potential Mussolini.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #586
RyanW
 
RyanW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Southeast NC
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
In real life the danger of someone making a digital Mary Sue can be counteracted by making it procedural that all candidates be inspected face to face (that could make the procedural council an Oligarchy but I suppose no worse than party heads of Parliamentary democracies). Of course every candidate tries to make themselves a Mary Sue anyway. And voters know little about them unless they do something stupid which is not uncommon.
Are we using the same definition of Mary Sue? Because I'm not sure I'm following.
__________________
RyanW
- Actually one normal sized guy in three tiny trenchcoats.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:49 PM   #587
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Are we using the same definition of Mary Sue? Because I'm not sure I'm following.
The point is that it is building a perfect character.
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 06:40 AM   #588
ajardoor
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Occupiers

The party are invading soldiers in either a non-nuclear WW3 or a civil war - the threatre is a (former...?) TL 8 first world country (circa 2030s), even, but the PCs are not familiar with their assigned mission territory.

Long story short, the big mission that the campaign revolves around is the party taking over and securing an important town in enemy/disputed territory. They face many dangers; partisans, scummy collaborators using you as cat's paws, rebels, spies, riots, assassins, their own side going "cowboy", deserters, disrupted supply lines, small town intrigues fermenting into threats to public order, sabotage, culture clash, and actual opposing modern military forces on the same footing as their side.

The soldier PCs will go on patrols, investigate rumours, set up outposts, ferret out enemies, impose order on an unruly civilian populace, and grow increasingly worried that they are the baddies.
__________________
My blog: http://tabletoprpg333.home.blog
ajardoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:50 AM   #589
jason taylor
 
jason taylor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Portland, Oregon
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajardoor View Post
Occupiers

The party are invading soldiers in either a non-nuclear WW3 or a civil war - the threatre is a (former...?) TL 8 first world country (circa 2030s), even, but the PCs are not familiar with their assigned mission territory.

Long story short, the big mission that the campaign revolves around is the party taking over and securing an important town in enemy/disputed territory. They face many dangers; partisans, scummy collaborators using you as cat's paws, rebels, spies, riots, assassins, their own side going "cowboy", deserters, disrupted supply lines, small town intrigues fermenting into threats to public order, sabotage, culture clash, and actual opposing modern military forces on the same footing as their side.

The soldier PCs will go on patrols, investigate rumours, set up outposts, ferret out enemies, impose order on an unruly civilian populace, and grow increasingly worried that they are the baddies.
That would be a good one for Traveller Interstellar Wars
__________________
"The navy could probably win a war without coffee but would prefer not to try"-Samuel Eliot Morrison
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:55 AM   #590
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Ideas Are Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
That would be a good one for Traveller Interstellar Wars

That's also where my mind went as well. Something about that book really drove home the difficulty and scope of invading and conquering a planet with a few billion people on it, even after you've taken space.
__________________
Be helpful, not pedantic

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.