Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-27-2016, 12:59 AM   #1691
Drifter

Default Re: New Reality Seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
What sort of changes are you thinking of? I mean, the computer revolution was so fast, it's hard to image what kind of smallish change could drastically accelerate it.
Magic.

Its a low mana world line, practically no effect until electricity is harnessed. Even then its so minimal you don't get much effect until you get electric computers. Then the intrinsic intelligence in electric mana is allowed to manifest. Not necessarily human level intelligence, or same 'type', but enough to allow that drastic acceleration.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:33 AM   #1692
Gedrin

You could have more lines of exploration occur at a relatively early stage, and find a way to consolidate them into some place like the Valley.

FREX: WWII sees a much greater usage of machines for code breaking and targeting of large systems. These technologies don't get much beyond Homeline in terms of capability, but more nations were using them aggressively and for more purposes. These effects canceled each other out during the war, but afterward...

Much like the capture of the rocket scientists, computer scientists and technology were captured. Research to discover many dead ends and alternate applications and theories had already been done by Axis scientists and mathematicians. The tech base is no more deep, but it is much more broad.

Cold War sees applications pursuing many of these theories, but the top secret computing programs that hold the research are siloed on both sides of the Iron Curtain. However, as top secret programs begin to filter into the US business community and universities, the breadth of knowledge begins even faster development than Homeline saw.

Namu Like, who was a mundane computer programmer on Homeline, is inspired by several of these theories, and adds his name to those who would be familiar computing geniuses. It is Dr. Like's "Q-Net" team that wins the Cryptography Race in the early 1990's, effectively ending the Cold War as the economic troubles and Soviet security state are exposed to the world.

In the 1990's, networks expand exponentially with home and even mobile computing built on the adaptive machine learning and quantum architectures that Dr. Like pioneered. The Q-Net's expansion into the new, post-Cold War openness continued unabated until...
Gedrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:39 AM   #1693
patchwork

John von Neumann doesn't get stomach cancer; at the time of his death he was already growing bored with computers and exploring chaos theory and information theory. If he lives, he applies his new insights (which are beyond what Homeline understands; he's genuinely peerless) to networking, creating fantastically efficient ways for computers to work together to arrive at solutions to whatever problem you're puzzling over. A Von Neumann architecture is more effective the bigger it is so people build networks aggressively a decade or two earlier; cryptography is one obvious application, weather prediction another.

I use this as my benevolent-AI world, usually called Asimov; the computers may or may not possess true narrative self-consciousness, but the developed world is safe and comfortable in a world designed, controlled and built by the computer networks with no meaningful human oversight...and Infinity is very worried, because they encountered Steel first and can't help but assume that's where this is going...
patchwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:50 PM   #1694
Astromancer

Try this alternative WWII. The Germans breakthrough and make a rush to Baku and the lion's share of Soviet Oil. As in our world, the Allies bomb Baku to the stone age. We were fully prepared to do this. The Azeris, fully aware of Hitler's view of them. Make sure no oil wells are repaired. Hitler doesn't get the oil, but neither do the Soviets. The Germans plunge deep into the USSR, far deeper than in our history.

Meanwhile, the clock moves on. D-Day occurs, we'll let it go better than planed (I've my reasons) and we'll let the Allies anticipate both the problems of hedgerows and the higher quality of German tanks. This is going to the Siegfried Line!

Picture a Nazi Germany struggling with fuel shortages but far stronger than in our timeline against the Western allies at the Siegfried Line. The Siegfried Line was pretty darn deadly in our reality, in this world, with more resources to put into it, the Germans can hold it far more brutally.

Yes the post war world has it's points too. The Red Army will be weak for several years until the oil flows again. So Eastern Europe will be far less Red afterwards. The Cold War might not happen, or maybe it doesn't happen until well into the 1950's.

But my main focus is a more brutal war in the West.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:54 PM   #1695
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
The Siegfried Line was pretty darn deadly in our reality, in this world, with more resources to put into it, the Germans can hold it far more brutally.
This is another of the "Germany gets nuked" histories. If you want to avoid that, you need a definite reason why it doesn't happen.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:17 PM   #1696
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
This is another of the "Germany gets nuked" histories. If you want to avoid that, you need a definite reason why it doesn't happen.
That seems to be a fairly plausible outcome of a number of changes. I suspect in most of them the nuking becomes more significant than the events that got them there. What do we call these worlds...

I don't think nukes vs germany will be as bad as the fallout from a late 50's or 60's nuclear event. Japan weathered two WWII era nukes just fine, economically and ecologically speaking.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:18 PM   #1697
Drifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
It would have been a long shot for the Germans to develop nukes. After 1942 it was decided nukes weren't going to help with the war and the program was split up among a bunch of different institutes. These institutes had become political appointment seats.

A prolonged war might have helped with these issues but I doubt it. I've never found Reich-5 (for example) to be believable, even if its fun to have as an enemy. The Nazis has super science ideas but couldn't actually develop much from them.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:31 PM   #1698
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I don't think nukes vs germany will be as bad as the fallout from a late 50's or 60's nuclear event. Japan weathered two WWII era nukes just fine, economically and ecologically speaking.
Indeed, unless someone starts doing groundbursts to increase fallout. The airbursts vs Japan were done to maximise the area sufficiently damaged to wreck buildings, which fortunately avoided the fireballs touching the ground.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
It would have been a long shot for the Germans to develop nukes. After 1942 it was decided nukes weren't going to help with the war and the program was split up ... A prolonged war might have helped with these issues but I doubt it.
They built the V-2 instead, which cost about as much as the Manhattan project, but wasn't a cost-effective weapon. If Hitler hadn't been impressed by film of a V-2 launch, and someone in the German nuclear project had been convincing instead of academic and vague, they might have got somewhere.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:59 PM   #1699
PTTG

Stealing a few ideas from another thread by Scc, I think we'll tweak a few things...

A massive Reality Fracture puts an echo of Earth from 1840 in an alternate where the solar system is somewhat altered. Luna is larger and has substantial atmosphere and life, as do Mars and Venus (apparently mass from Venus ended up in Luna and Mars somehow). All of it asteroid-transplanted Earth microbes and spores.

Short-term: the Century Race to the Moon. Long term: the Millennial Race to the Planets!
PTTG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:21 PM   #1700
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
It depends on which cities get nuked. Take out parts of Munich and Dresden, and Germany is likely to be as bad off as OTL Japan was. Take out parts of Berlin and Frankfurt, and Germany will be hurting badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
It would have been a long shot for the Germans to develop nukes. ...
The phrase was "Germany gets nuked", not "Germany gets nukes".
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ideas to share, infinite worlds, infinity unlimited