Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2015, 11:56 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Aliens: Sparrials

Meeting aliens
I must have dropped my wallet
In the excitement
— Police report
You can't run a GURPS Space campaign without aliens. And that's exactly what the newly launched GURPS Aliens series aims to deliver! But rather than kick things off with a tired stereotype such as "brainy psis with bulging foreheads," "honorable-but-warlike empire builders," or "creepy, utterly inhuman invaders," we decided to bring you GURPS Aliens: Sparrials.

You might ask, "What on Earth is a sparrial?" After saying, "Wrong planet, Ace," gamers who own GURPS Classic: Aliens will recognize the name and claim to know about this species. But there's a lot more to learn – and with these guys, you need to be on your toes! "An entire race of small, agile thieves" would be a fair first description, and probably enough to have savvy spacemen keeping an eye on the crowd and a hand on their wallet. Yet as with all aliens worth writing about, there's much more than meets the eye . . .

Read up on the origins of this fascinating race, from arboreal predators, through inventive sapient species, to seasoned space explorers. Learn about their strong family ties and chaotic social system, and the resulting civilization. Discover why they steal, and what role clever thefts play in their society. Create your own sparrial adventurers and NPCs, drawing on details about standard and variant racial traits, common abilities, important skills, representative jobs, and martial arts. Then gear up with sparrial-specific equipment and set out to explore – whether that means riding a rachou or cruising the galaxy in a uniquely sparrial starship. There's also advice for choosing psionics and even spells, if your campaign leans that way (sparrials are well-suited to fantasy, too!).

Remember: What you don't know can still rob you blind! The space-wise adventurer won't want to be without a copy of Sparrials on her data player.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-1684
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:30 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: GURPS Aliens: Sparrials

If anyone is not familiar with David Morgan-Mar's old 3e GURPS Space campaign, its web page is here. There was a well-realised Sparrial as one of the PCs, and it's pretty funny. The campaign also gave rise to the Space theme of David's Irregular Webcomic, based on the same characters.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:36 PM   #3
GodBeastX

We ended up talking about the book before this thread post in another thread. Good work!
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 07:51 PM   #4
Dammann

This book was just really fun to read. It makes me want to start getting a space campaign going again.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #5
Blind Mapmaker

I posted a review on my blog. This book is finely balanced between crunch and fluff and pretty much the perfect length for a species splatbook. I really hope all the following ones are going to be the same length. We learn a lot more about Sparrials than in the original treatment. The only real complaint are the same old illustrations, but I know the financial considerations behind that problem. I guess asking for fan art is not a very professional move.
Old 12-05-2015, 11:05 PM   #6
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

*makes happy eee noises at the review*

Thank you! I am glad that it was overall useful!

There is, I confess, one other Sparrial in fiction, though only as a fairly minor character in a short story... http://elizabethmccoy.dreamwidth.org/3695.html (I got permission from SJ to use GURPS concepts... Hm! I should update the "about GURPS" backmatter in those someday!)
Old 12-06-2015, 01:13 AM   #7
Ronnke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
Already used this book for my GURPS Traveller game this weekend. :)
Old 12-06-2015, 02:58 AM   #8
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archangel Beth View Post
*makes happy eee noises at the review*

Thank you for a great book that will see use whenever I start an SF campaign with aliens or free-for-all fantasy world.

Quote:
There is, I confess, one other Sparrial in fiction, though only as a fairly minor character in a short story... http://elizabethmccoy.dreamwidth.org/3695.html (I got permission from SJ to use GURPS concepts... Hm! I should update the "about GURPS" backmatter in those someday!)
Updated the review to reflect this.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:21 PM   #9
smurf
Banned

Kronin were my favourite. Done my own 4e version in keeping with their theme.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:33 PM   #10
dcarson

Bought it and working out where and when to have my Stargate players stumble across them. I'm thinking they'll still be low tech with some stolen goa'uld tech.

Which will still be useful to my players since I had them figure out how to use the gate shortly after discovering it so Earth is still 1930 tech.
dcarson is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
aliens