Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2015, 08:20 PM   #11
Donny Brook

Default Re: What does 1 point of burn damage look like?

IDHMBWM, but I recall a section in GURPS Biotech that discusses recovery from burns. Even 1 point is somewhat complicated to recover from.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
IDHMBWM, but I recall a section in GURPS Biotech that discusses recovery from burns. Even 1 point is somewhat complicated to recover from.
I feel that section overstates the dangers of minor burns, and possibly a little of major ones.
Some people have survived obscene burns sans medical care. While very rare, I don't think Gurps should completely disallow such events entirely.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:19 PM   #13
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
In Basic Set, 1 point of damage is automatically healed as soon as the character uses bandages. What is the difference in Bio-Tech, please?
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:38 PM   #14
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gollum View Post
In Basic Set, 1 point of damage is automatically healed as soon as the character uses bandages. What is the difference in Bio-Tech, please?
The difference is in how one heals burn injury points remaining after the bandages/first aid subtraction.

Also, between Bio-Tech, Martial Arts, Low Tech/LTC, and probably something else I'm missing, we really need a Injury & Medicine Compendium by now . . .
Old 06-27-2015, 11:55 PM   #15
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Also, between Bio-Tech, Martial Arts, Low Tech/LTC, and probably something else I'm missing, we really need a Injury & Medicine Compendium by now . . .
Bio-Tech was supposed to cover all of the healing arts. But the people who wrote it had very detailed knowledge of existing advanced medicine and speculative possibilities, but not so much of herbs and leeches and arrow spoons. Low-Tech and especially LTC1 was an effort to provide suitable horrific details about injury and illness before anesthesia and antisepsis.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:18 AM   #16
Gollum

Thank you very much for these answers. I have to buy Bio-Tech... And yes, an Injury & medicine compendium could be a very good thing. Or, at least, a good topic for a Pyramid issue.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #17
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Bio-Tech was supposed to cover all of the healing arts. But the people who wrote it had very detailed knowledge of existing advanced medicine and speculative possibilities, but not so much of herbs and leeches and arrow spoons. Low-Tech and especially LTC1 was an effort to provide suitable horrific details about injury and illness before anesthesia and antisepsis.
There's also the issue of MA's vitals/veins/skull/eye bleeding rules and LT's Torniquets and Blood Vessel Pressure rules being written without much, if any, thinking about one another. And the fact that neither was in Bio-Tech. In a way, Low-Tech Techniques are superior to the things available without LT, which is not a good design.

Tags
burning damage, phaser, real world, reality check, star trek