Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
giggioz

Default Re: Martial Arts Questions from a Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
The problem is that Rapid Strike and Dual Weapon Attack are mutually exclusive. DWA is basically a specific case of Rapid Strike, limited to two attacks only, but with a lower penalty because it uses both hands. Even if you improve DWA to full skill, you still can't combine it with Rapid Strike. If he wants to make 6 separate attacks in one second, they will be at -30 each (halved for Weapon Master).

For more about multiple attacks, see MA126. In your turn, you can choose one of Rapid Strike, Combination, or Dual Weapon Attack, adding any attacks from All-Out Attack or the Extra Attacks advantage. For example, a character with Extra Attacks 1 will normally have 2 attacks per second. He can take DWA or Rapid Strike to "split" only one of his attacks; Rapid Strike 3 gives him 5 attacks total, 1 at full skill and 4 at -18. Making it an All-Out (Double) gives him an extra attack at full skill, for 2 at full skill and 4 at -18.
Excuse me if i insist but in MA120-121 you can read :

"[...]but a fighter holding multiple small weapons ready in each hand can throw them all! All attacks with one hand are a single Rapid Strike, with an extra -4 for Dual-Weapon Attack and a further -4 for attacks with the “off” hand.
For instance, if our ninja had four shuriken in his right hand and two in his left, he could make two Rapid Strikes. His right-hand attacks would be at -18 for Rapid Strike and -4 for Dual-Weapon Attack: -22. His left-hand throws would have -6 for Rapid Strike, -4 for Dual-Weapon Attack, and -4 for using the off hand: -14."

From this paragraph i understand that is possible to use DWA and Rapid Strike together.
You seem very competent and what you wrote in the last post and what i've read from MA confuse me, thanks again if you may give an answer.

Last edited by giggioz; 03-30-2012 at 04:51 PM.
giggioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggioz View Post
Excuse me if i insist but in MA120-121 you can read :

<SNIP>

From this paragraph i understand that is possible to use DWA and Rapid Strike together.
You seem very competent and what you wrote in the last post and what i've read from MA confuse me, thanks again if you may give an answer.
I think you got me there! Rapid Strike and DWA are normally exclusive, but this appears to be a special case (and one that I was unaware of) in which you can combine them. So... go for it! And sorry for pulling your chain when I was the one mistaken...
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:28 AM   #13
giggioz

Quote:
I think you got me there! Rapid Strike and DWA are normally exclusive, but this appears to be a special case (and one that I was unaware of) in which you can combine them. So... go for it! And sorry for pulling your chain when I was the one mistaken...
Thanks for making this thread clearer. I edited again the main post (in red) to leave a good reference for this topic.
giggioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:13 AM   #14
vierasmarius

Oh, one last point. Even though there's a special rule that lets you combine both halves of a DWA with Rapid Strike, I don't think you can add in All-Out (Double) and split that extra attack, too. The specific rule makes no mention of All-Out or Extra Attack, so I think the general rule take precedence there, meaning it would give you one extra unpenalized attack. But seeing as I've been wrong so far, hopefully we can get someone more knowledgeable to come in with a definitive answer.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:45 AM   #15
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Oh, one last point. Even though there's a special rule that lets you combine both halves of a DWA with Rapid Strike, I don't think you can add in All-Out (Double) and split that extra attack, too. The specific rule makes no mention of All-Out or Extra Attack, so I think the general rule take precedence there, meaning it would give you one extra unpenalized attack. But seeing as I've been wrong so far, hopefully we can get someone more knowledgeable to come in with a definitive answer.
You get to choose AoA(Double), then add your Extra Attack(s). After that you can take ONE of those and turn it into a DWA or Rapid Strike. In this special case, you can sub in the combo once Id think.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #16
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
You get to choose AoA(Double), then add your Extra Attack(s). After that you can take ONE of those and turn it into a DWA or Rapid Strike. In this special case, you can sub in the combo once Id think.
That seems fair to me; it's probably more effective to take, say, Determined for a +4 or Strong for +2 damage.

But yes, that's a special case of allowing Rapid Strike combined with DWA, something that isn't normally allowed. It was mechanically the most consistent way to represent people who throw multiple shuriken from both hands. For throwing a big storm of shuriken as a single mass attack, you'll want the rules in the box on p. 120.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
martial art, martial arts, ninja, rapid fire, rapid strike