Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2011, 09:10 AM   #41
pawsplay

Default Re: [SE] "Your child is a sociopath? Fear not, we will take care of this!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
I'm aiming at the idea of characters with a mentality closer to Dexter Morgan (after he finally becomes fully in control of his life) or the reprogrammed T-101 from Terminator 2 (slightly less appropriate example, but he shares the combination of ruthlessness and obsessive adherence to a code), but focused towards more socially-approved (yet often nasty) goals.
I don't know Dexter that well, but a Terminator would pretty much be the opposite of these guys. Terminators are mission-focused and stable. These guys would be erratic and unstable with theoretically high-minded goals, and their aderence to a code is going to be more emotional than obsessive. Quiet simply, anyone with significant sociopathy is incapable of emotionally withstanding not giving in to their drives. The sociopathic politicans aren't the ones who get caught challening funds to rebels, it's the ones who get caught peddling influence or with their pants down.
pawsplay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #42
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: [SE] "Your child is a sociopath? Fear not, we will take care of this!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawsplay View Post
I don't know Dexter that well, but a Terminator would pretty much be the opposite of these guys. Terminators are mission-focused and stable. These guys would be erratic and unstable with theoretically high-minded goals, and their aderence to a code is going to be more emotional than obsessive. Quiet simply, anyone with significant sociopathy is incapable of emotionally withstanding not giving in to their drives. The sociopathic politicans aren't the ones who get caught challening funds to rebels, it's the ones who get caught peddling influence or with their pants down.
I see more in common between Dexter and T-101:
  • They both have a code of instructions which they strictly adhere.
  • They aren't touched by the emotions of others, and have a rather weak set of emotions influencing their actions. Neither of them would make the Anakin Skywalker mistake of becoming destructive or compromising a mission due to emotions linked to other people (though I suspect that in the latest episodes of Dexter this is changing).
  • They subordinate all of their lives to following this set of instructions (T-101 is obvious; Dexter keeps himself in shape, in contrast to other ageing killers, and does other stuff that drastically affects his life, specifically in order to make sure he doesn't somehow later break the CoH - intentionally or not).

Tags
brainwashing, justicariate, social engineering, supersoldiers, æthereal sun