Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #1
OverDrunk

Default Reaction and Influence Rolls

Since social engineering came out...How you handle a situation where the players meet a npc, rolls a reaction roll, gets a good reaction for merchant stuffs and after trading with the npc wants to ask him for information? Should the npc tell the players what they need as though they have a good reaction for information too or GM rolls again (especially if one of the players can use an influence roll to get information instead of the reaction roll)?
Thanks!
OverDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Akicita

Default Re: Reaction and Influence Rolls

If the question seems innocuous, I would not require another roll. If the players are drastically shifting gears, I would require another roll. "Say, now that we've done a little business together, can you put me in touch with the local crimelord?" would be straining the initial goodwill, in most cases.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverDrunk View Post
Since social engineering came out...How you handle a situation where the players meet a npc, rolls a reaction roll, gets a good reaction for merchant stuffs and after trading with the npc wants to ask him for information? Should the npc tell the players what they need as though they have a good reaction for information too or GM rolls again (especially if one of the players can use an influence roll to get information instead of the reaction roll)?
Thanks!
I'd say it depends on how good a reaction the merchant had initially. If you check the table of reactions for buying and selling, you'll see that for a Good reaction the merchant "volunteers useful information," so you could just let the PCs ask. For a Neutral reaction, the merchant is more focused on the transaction, so I'd require another roll.

And, as Akicita says, if the question's a big one or a major shift of gears, a new reaction or Influence roll is in order anyway.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'd say it depends on how good a reaction the merchant had initially.
Wow! I don't bought Social Engineering (yet) but I would have said exactly the same thing!

Indeed, the Basic reaction table says...

"10 to 12: Neutral. The NPC ignores the character as much as possible... Transactions go smoothly, as long as protocol is observed." Then, another roll is absolutely required to get informations.

"13 to 15: Good. The NPC... will be helpfull within normal, every day limits. Reasonnable requests will be granted." So, no other roll is required to get ordinary information ("Is there good a restaurant in this town?") but a skill roll is required to get information like the one describe by Akicita ("Say, now that we've done a little business together, can you put me in touch with the local crimelord?"). This is not anymore a normal, every day request.

"16 to 18: Very good. The NPC... will be quite helpful and friendly, freely offering aid in most things." No other roll required, even for information like an answer to the question above. Unless the NPC risks his life to do it, of course; he is just helpful.

"19 or better: Excellent. The NPC... will act in the PC's best interests... perhaps even risking his life, wealth or reputation." No other roll required. Even if the NPC risks his life.

That is amazing how GURPS is consistent.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reaction rolls, social engineering