Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #41
Brandy

Default Re: [Social Engineering] Charisma treated inconsistently with BIO/Basic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
How about those of us so blind to social interaction that charisma rubs us the wrong way if we notice it at all?
I've always accepted it as implied that each of the things that give bonuses to reaction rolls in GURPS will have people that react negatively to them. In basic, I think it is only explicitly noted under status, but it is certainly reasonable to say that a given character tends not to like attractive people, people with particular reputations, or even their own superiors.

If a PC wants to define themselves that way, I call it a quirk.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #42
David Johnston2

Quote:
How about those of us so blind to social interaction that charisma rubs us the wrong way if we notice it at all?
Intolerant of Popular People
Old 11-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #43
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Odious Personal Habits are the usual way to handle that. You can have a vague OPH -- "Rubs everyone the wrong way" is a bit boring, but valid.
Nice!

I never thought that could be done, for some reason I always thought as OPH as being some intentional overt behaviour, not subtle, unconscious behaviour that the player might not even have to role-play.

Works dandy for anti-charisma.
Old 11-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #44
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Possibly Jealousy (Popularity Only, -50%) [-5] as well, or in addition to, Intolerance. Though these are obviously extreme versions -- a quirk would be more common.

However, it's uncommon for people to actually "react badly to Charisma," because true Charisma helps its owner come across as a genuinely likable, nice person. Instead, most people who say, "I dislike charismatic people," really don't like folks who come across as fake, like they're trying to please everyone. That's not Charisma -- that's a failed Influence roll, and you're supposed to react poorly to it. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
Old 11-01-2011, 05:59 PM   #45
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
No, because intolerant would mean that I react negatively to them outside of their words and actions. I react to them only by their actions and words, and not to the charisma bonus.
I most certainly am not a bigot.
I am just creeped out by individuals that get fan clubs when nothing they say or do merits it. I have a brother like that, and it irritates me.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 PM   #46
tg_ambro

Quote:
No, because intolerant would mean that I react negatively to them outside of their words and actions. I react to them only by their actions and words, and not to the charisma bonus.
I most certainly am not a bigot.
I am just creeped out by individuals that get fan clubs when nothing they say or do merits it. I have a brother like that, and it irritates me.
Then that would be a form of Jealousy, no?

Check out my blog, Ambro's Brainwaves Pretend you have telepathy, read my thoughts!
Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #47
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Possibly Jealousy (Popularity Only, -50%) [-5] as well, or in addition to, Intolerance. Though these are obviously extreme versions -- a quirk would be more common.

However, it's uncommon for people to actually "react badly to Charisma," because true Charisma helps its owner come across as a genuinely likable, nice person. Instead, most people who say, "I dislike charismatic people," really don't like folks who come across as fake, like they're trying to please everyone. That's not Charisma -- that's a failed Influence roll, and you're supposed to react poorly to it. :)
In game terms that's true. But I disagree that that is true in real life. I simply don't notice charisma except as how it affects others. To me it looks almost like mind control, when people fawn over others when nothing that is said or done comes close to meriting such adoration.

I have trouble noticing social cues in general, but charisma is invisible to me.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:03 PM   #48
whswhs

Quote:
That sounds like straightforward Jealousy to me, possibly Aspected. You're not saying that when you and the other person are alone together, their personal presence repels or offends you; you're saying that when you observe other people reacting to them favorably that response offends you. At least, that's what I get from what you've said so far.

Bill Stoddard
Old 11-01-2011, 06:06 PM   #49
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tg_ambro View Post
Then that would be a form of Jealousy, no?
No more than witnessing water run uphill. Looking wrong is not jealously. I am not jealous of what seems to me as fake social power. I would like to interact with others in a truthful way in which my words and actions have an effect rather than some creepy micro-social cues determining others' responses.

If I say or do something stupid, I want others to realize it was stupid, not find it cute and endearing.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:11 PM   #50
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
That sounds like straightforward Jealousy to me, possibly Aspected. You're not saying that when you and the other person are alone together, their personal presence repels or offends you; you're saying that when you observe other people reacting to them favorably that response offends you. At least, that's what I get from what you've said so far.

Bill Stoddard
That's not how I define jealousy. I find their ability creepy, and others' reactions either weak-willed or just plain creepy as well. Also, I don't see it coming off the charismatic person.

If anything, I pity people like my brother. They don't get "real" feedback on their actions, and nearly everything they say or do is given a positive and often useless spin. It's like being a boss surrounded by yes-men no matter what you do.

I admit I may have been jealous of his ability growing up. But that time is long since passed
Closed Thread

Tags
charisma, social engineering